• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Firearms Prohibited at Mount Pisgah near Eugene/Springfield? NOPE!

Orygunner

imported post

I visited Mount Pisgah Arboretum for the first time last weekend with my family and in-laws. It's a neat park with a lot of forest hikingtrails a few miles south of Springfield. It's part of the Howard Buford Recreation Area managed by Lane County Parks.
http://mountpisgaharboretum.org/

Since my wife and in-laws have no problem with me OCing in the great outdoors (they usually pack a pistol out there, too), I had my OC pistol in addition to my pocket Kel-Tec.

I stopped at the Information Kiosk by the parking lot to read the rules, and was suprised to see one of the rules stated "Firearms are Prohibited."

"Well, this sign will not do," I thought to myself. "They can't do that."

We enjoyed the exploration of the trails, but I decided I would check into it this week...

Sure enough, the signage is incorrect, and I have been told it will be corrected! YAY!

Here's the path of the Email conversation (only my real name and Email address have been edited):

----------

To: mtpisgah@efn.org
Sent: Monday, January 19, 2009 2:02:16 PM GMT -08:00 US/Canada Pacific
Subject: Mt. Pisgah Arboretum Policy

Greetings,

I had the opportunity to hike the trails at Mount Pisgah Arboretum this weekend for the first time, and I was very impressed. Unfortunately, I forgot to bring my camera, because I could have taken some beautiful pictures of the scenery and wildlife.

I was concerned about one of the rules on the sign near the parking area. I can't remember what it stated exactly, but it said firearms were prohibited. However, that rule was absent from the trail map brochure.

Is the board just outdated and the rules on the trail map brochure are the correct ones, or are firearms really banned from the Arboretum?

Thanks,

Orygunner,
Springfield, Oregon

----------

To: Orygunner
Sent: Tuesday, January 20, 2009 11:22:26 AM GMT -08:00 US/Canada Pacific
Subject: Re: Mt. Pisgah Arboretum Policy

Hello Orygunner,

Thanks for writing with you question about firearms at Mount Pisgah Arboretum. SInce the Arboretum is part of the Howard Buford Recreation Area that is run by Lane County Parks, I've looked up the county park regulations which apply to this site.

The wording you saw on the sign by the trailhead was:
"No person may discharge any weapon capable of harming persons, wildlife, or property."

Similarly, in the list of park rules on the Lane County Parks website, they say:
"Weapons: No person may use any weapon capable of harming persons, wildlife, or property."

You can read the entire text of the park rules on this website: http://www.lanecounty.org/parks/parkrule.htm
(I suspect that they didn't include the entire list on the trail maps simply due to lack of space. I don't think the brochures include the rules about not selling things in the parking lots, either, simply because the question doesn't come up very often.)

It's clear that one is not allowed to discharge a firearm at the Arboretum, nor in the larger surrounding area of Howard Buford Recreation Area. If you need to know whether you are allowed to hike with a concealed firearm as long as you don't use it, then I must admit that I do not know the rules about that! I would recommend that you call the Lane County Parks office directly if you need that level of information: 541-682-2000.

I hope that answers your question! I'm very glad to hear that you enjoyed your first visit to the Arboretum and the surrounding Howard Buford Recreation area! If you have any additional questions or concerns, don't hesitate to get in touch.

Best regards,
--Katura
Katura Reynolds, Office Manager
Mount Pisgah Arboretum
34901 Frank Parrish Road, Eugene OR 97405
ph: 541-747-3817 fax: 541-741-4904
email: mtpisgah@efn.org

----------

To: "Katura Reynolds" <mtpisgah@efn.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 20, 2009 12:06:34 PM GMT -08:00 US/Canada Pacific

Katura,

Thank you very much for the information and the link to the Lane County Parks regulations. I will have to re-check the sign the next time I visit, because I'm positive it said that firearms are prohibited. It is on the posted rules at the Information Kiosk between the parking lot and the White Oak Pavillion near the (out of order) drinking fountain.

I will contact Lane County Parks for a clarification of their rules for carrying firearms. Thanks again for your prompt reply.

Sincerely,

Orygunner,
Springfield, Oregon

----------

Sent: Tuesday, January 20, 2009 12:49 PM
To: Todd Winter, Manager, Lane County Parks
Subject: Possession of firearms at Lane County Parks.

Hello Mr. Winter.

I had the opportunity to hike the trails at the beautiful Mount Pisgah Arboretum in the Howard Buford Recreation Area for the first time this last weekend (January 17). I thorougly enjoyed the quality of the facilities and trails with my family and am planning on many return visits. I've lived in the Eugene/Springfield area for almost 18 years now and didn't realize it was such a fantastic park or I would have visited sooner!

At the information kiosk near the parking area, I was suprised to read a rule stating that firearms are prohibited. I searched their website also found it stated on a page there: http://mountpisgaharboretum.org/rental.

I contacted the office manager of the Mount Pisgah Arboretum, Katura Reynolds, and she was not aware of a prohibition, just a restriction against discharging weapons. She referred me to the Lane County Park Rules web page (http://www.lanecounty.org/parks/parkrule.htm ) and that only states that "No person may use any weapon capable of harming persons, wildlife, or property."

I carry a sidearm for self defense of myself and my family almost everywhere I go, and am very familiar with state and local laws concerning firearms. I know that ORS 166.171 gives the county authorization to regulate the discharge of firearms, which I believe is definitely a good idea in the parks. However, ORS 166.170 prohibits any county, city, or municipal corporation from prohibiting possession of firearms.

Can you please verity that Lane County Parks does not prohibit any possession of loaded firearms lawfully carried openly or concealed in its parks?

Sincerely,

Orygunner
Springfield, Oregon.

----------

To: orygunner1
Sent: Tuesday, January 20, 2009 3:01:47 PM GMT -08:00 US/Canada Pacific
Subject: RE: Possession of firearms at Lane County Parks.

Hello Orygunner,

You are correct in that Lane Code only prohibits the discharge of weapons capable of harming persons, animals, etc. Although we do not encourage firearm possession while visiting Lane County Parks, it is certainly within your rights, as allowed by law, to possess a firearm.

I will have staff research the origin of the rule reminder at Pisgah. If it explicitly prohibits possession, I will see to it that it is changed or removed. Thanks for the clarification and the heads up.

Todd Winter
Parks Division Manager
Lane County Public Works

----------

To: Orygunner
Sent: Tuesday, January 20, 2009 12:28:28 PM GMT -08:00 US/Canada Pacific

Hello Orygunner,

I just heard back from our Site Manager about our policy for firearms. He concurs with the sign that you had read: firearms are prohibited in the Arboretum. Hope that doesn't interfere with your ability to enjoy this lovely natural area. We'll see you on the trails!

--Katura

Katura Reynolds, Office Manager
Mount Pisgah Arboretum
34901 Frank Parrish Road, Eugene OR 97405
ph: 541-747-3817 fax: 541-741-4904
email: mtpisgah@efn.org

----------

To: "Katura Reynolds" <mtpisgah@efn.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 10:46:16 AM GMT -08:00 US/Canada Pacific

Hi Katura,

Thank you for your follow-up reply, however, your site manager is incorrect.

I Emailed Todd Winter, the Parks Division Manager with Lane County, and he verified that under state law, possession of firearms cannot be prohibited from any Lane County Parks. I copied our correspondance below, but you may wish to contact Mr. Winter directly for confirmation, as well as inform your Site Manager.

I look forward to coming back to Mount Pisgah Arboretum this weekend with my family.

Thanks,

Orygunner,
Springfield, Oregon.

----------

To: orygunner1@comcast.net
Sent: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 12:27:38 PM GMT -08:00 US/Canada Pacific

Hello Orygunner,

Thanks so much for verifying the details of this regulation with Todd Winter. I will make sure the staff here is up to date on the facts of this matter so we don't end up contradicting each other! I hope the weather this weekend in beautiful, and that you and your family have a great time exploring the trails.

Best regards,

--Katura

----------

adamsesq

imported post

Good job OG. Positive interaction with gun owners is a big step towards keeping our rights. Many in our state or local governments "wish" it were a different way, will make their rules and signs that way and just hope that if they say it enough it will become.

-adamsesq

LanceOregon

imported post

Wow, very good job indeed ORYGUNNER!!

However, it is a bit disconcerting that the Mt. Pisgah staff did not know the law. And why didn't the office manager check with County Parks herself, to find out what the law really was? After all, that was the resource that she herself said needed to be consulted. Yet she herself failed to do so. Hmmm ....

This would be fun exercise, to hike Mt. Pisgah carrying a handgun. And you know, there have been a number of recent reports of Cougars living on and around Mt. Pisgah. If any passerbys ask you why you are carrying a gun, you can just tell them that it is for Cougar protection!!! :lol:

Looks like the weather may stay good through this Saturday. I do think a nice hike would do me some good! :celebrate

I'll have to take one of my cameras with me, and take a pic of this sign. Photography is my other hobby, besides hunting, shooting, and gun collecting.

Here is a photo that I took earlier this week of the new Rosa Parks Statue in downtown Eugene:

DSC_0350SON.jpg

It is quite an impressive bronze sculpture to see in person. And it is completely life size. It is right on the corner of 10th and Olive Streets.

There are some really weird people in downtown Eugene, though. I think that OC'ing there could be a problem, as some folks might try to hassle you about carrying.

No_Smoking

I realize this is an old post, but I was thinking of heading up to pisgah and was curious if there were any signs post about prohibiting firearms. Interesting to know there 'was' one. I guess I will see if they took it down next week =) Thanks for the info.

Also, I'm curious on the 'prohibits the discharge of weapons capable of harming persons, animals, etc' part. Does that actually mean if my life is in danger, I cant use my firearm for defense? Or does that just cover randomly discharging in the air or for 'fun'?