• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ccw permit process?

Curins

imported post

I understand that the local Sheriff's office collects info on you including fingerprints when you apply for a ccw. Now call me a bit paranoid but does the government keep this info including fingerprints on file?

I've been thinking about getting a ccw but I worried I have to give up too much freedom to obtain it.

Especially when I see this: http://www.notconcealed.com/Main.html

KyleKatern

imported post

I don't worry about it. But then every time I turn around for work we have some other job site where I give fingerprints, and background/credit check, and get a photo just to get a contractor badge.

R a Z o R

Banned
imported post

Even as a shy guy I'd give them a stool sample if neededalso .

We need to be bold and let the world know who we are so others will join .

This is the week that I got my CCW . It is important to know the laws about OC and

support each other's 2nd amendment rights .

Curins

imported post

When the tyrant comes to disarm us all, who will he first visit? The registered or the anonymous? (all speculative, but it could happen, the way things are going now it's looking more likely)

When it's not acceptable to fingerprint for driver's licenses or for purchasing a gun, why is it acceptable to do so for a ccw?

Gilly

imported post

I know for a fact that when you are fingerprinted in NC, those print cards are run through AFIS and kept on file with the SBI and it is recorded that those print cards were for a CCW application. I don't think they go to the FBI. They don't need your prints to run a criminal history on you. All they need is your name, sex, and date of birth. I've been printed more times than I care to remember, so this is just one more for the pile.

jeflyn

imported post

I just completed my concealed carry class here in Asheville and asked my instructor about the fingerprinting. He told me that they were used in the background check and destroyed after 30 days.

glockaholic

imported post

I just completed my concealed carry class here in Asheville and asked my instructor about the fingerprinting. He told me that they were used in the background check and destroyed after 30 days.

I don't believe that's correct. They fingerprinted me using a digital machine (as opposed to ink and paper) and said the SBI keeps them on file. Even if the official policy is to destroy the digital records after 30 days, I seriously doubt they actually follow that rule. Call me a skeptic. I could be wrong. I hope I'm wrong.

DKA

imported post

The local Sheriff's dept gets the finger prints and they are entered into a computer bank, but I have been fingerprinted 5 times in the last 3 years for different permits, anyway if you have had your Dr. Lic. renewed in the last 5 years, your face is in a computer bank for face recognition.

Gilly

imported post

The prints are used in part to determine you are not a criminal. You can be a convicted felon and still be able to get a driver's license. For the record, I don't like it either.