• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

TSRA kinda snooty

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

SilentKTexan wrote:
They sent me an e-mail saying they supported it... But I haven't seen a public statement from them regarding the issue.
Can you post the email, but protect your identity if so desired.

SilentKTexan

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Venator wrote:
Can you post the email, but protect your identity if so desired.

This is a reply to my e-mail asking about their position on open carry and if they are supporting Texas open carry in any way.

Sent from ILAContact@nrahq.org

"Dear Mr. Jacobs,

Thanks for contacting NRA-ILA. NRA supports Open-Carry and currently pursues Open-Carry legislation on a state level. NRA endorses Open-Carry in the state of Texas.

Please let us know if you have further questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Krista Cupp

NRA-ILA Grassroots Division"

KBCraig

imported post

SA-TX wrote:
The reason they claim they can't lend even verbal support is that members of the Legislature will assume they are sponsoring the bill and, if they aren't in control of it, could make TSRA look bad if it isn't handled well. No matter the disclaimers, they will be associated with it because it is a "gun bill". My argument was -- and is -- that if all pro-gun bills are naturally associated with you whether you like it or not, it is in your best interest to make it succeed. :D
I prefer your argument to theirs. ;)

I am partially persuaded by your argument to join TSRA, and I have reached this conclusion: If, at the end of this session, TSRA has not hindered in any way our efforts to pass an OC bill, then I will join. And by "any way" I mean public statements, private statements, lobbying efforts, or legislative backroom shenanigans.

Following that, if TSRA will actively support open carry in the 2011 session, even if they don't push their own bill, then I will sign up my entire family. By "actively support", I mean that any time they're asked, TSRA will say they welcome all increases in gun owners' rights, and welcome other groups to the cause.

I plan to be OCing in New Hampshire before 2011, but I'll still buy the memberships.

44Brent

imported post

An old e-mail from Alice Tripp in 2007:

It isn't a case of "rethink". We need to make it legal to have an unlicensed handgun in a person's vehicle before we even consider open carry. By the way, do you want an open carry license? Fingerprint background check, reciprocity etc...

Right now in Texas it's "legal" to have a gun-rack with a long gun in it but depending on where you are, such as a big city, you can be arrested for disorderly conduct.

So you think about it. Would you think more people, Texans and non-Texans, would benefit from being able to safely and legally have a handgun in their vehicle without a license without fear of being arrested or should I spend huge amounts of political capitol to make it legal for a handful to "show" their handguns.

Right now I'm trying to get 4 bills passed, any of which could open up an employer's parking lot to CHLs or all legal firearms. Wouldn't you consider that more in the majorities interested than, again, a handful who want to show off their STI's.

It's never been hard to find something to do...

44Brent

imported post

Another old e-mail from Alice Tripp back in 2007:

Your letter was forwarded to me so while James Dark may answer you, allow me to add my 2 cents.

If there were a significant interest in Texasin passing an open carry law, we'd definitely consider running a bill.At the moment TSRA has 21 bills on our legislative agenda, including 3 antigun bills.

Sorry if you're embarassed by Texas law but every state and the population of that state is different and their laws evolve differently. TSRA works toward the greatest good for the largest number of our members. We answer to our membership and to our Legislature.

Thanks for your letter.

Alice Tripp
Legislative Director
Tx State Rifle Association

KBCraig

imported post

44Brent wrote:
An old e-mail from Alice Tripp in 2007:

Right now in Texas it's "legal" to have a gun-rack with a long gun in it but depending on where you are, such as a big city, you can be arrested for disorderly conduct.

Hogwash, Alice.

I'll grant that you can be arrested for anything, even if there's no law at all, but a DC charge would not stick over a long arm in a gun rack.

The test is, "....in a manner calculated to alarm."

44Brent

imported post

TSRA just sent out an e-mail alert asking people to support various bills, including some at the national level.

However, they didn't mention the OC bill. Apparently they like laws which force law abiding citizens to conceal their pistols like criminals.

DKSuddeth

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

i got this email. They don't mention OC because it is not a bill they authored nor is it a bill that affects their members directly.

KBCraig

imported post

DKSuddeth wrote:
i got this email. They don't mention OC because it is not a bill they authored nor is it a bill that affects their members directly.
Or that even exists yet, apparently.

At this point in the legislative session, if a bill hasn't been filed, it's never going to see the light of day.

:(