Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: This doesn't seem good at all.

Post imported post

This is the text of the message I just received.

VT Police have confirmed a murder in the Graduate Life Center. A suspect is in custody. Stay where you are and stay vigilant. Stay away from the GLC. -end-

[code]

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Sigh - the police were just minutes away I presume.

Will look for more details.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

screencap of the main page

Post imported post

It looks like there was a stabbing at the GLC with a suspect in custody. This is according to the Roanoke Times

Post imported post

How many people have to die before they are convinced that we should be able to carry on campus?

Post imported post

I'm not sure when "they" will be convinced, but I was convinced when I turned 21 as VT student after 4/16...

Post imported post

hunter45 wrote:
    How many people have to die before they are convinced that we should be able to carry on campus?

Post imported post

Where's the Militia?

Post imported post

I'm at my house, 1 mile away...waiting on the call.

Post imported post

Published: January 21, 2009
    A female student was killed this evening in the Graduate Life Center at Virginia Tech, a spokesman has confirmed.
    The spokesman, Mark Owczarski, said a male suspect is in custody and police have recovered a knife that they identified as the murder weapon. He did not say whether the suspect is a student.
    Tech announced the homicide on its Web site under the title, "Murder on campus," and sent out this e-mail alert at 7:44 p.m.:
    "VT Police have confirmed a murder in the Graduate Life Center. A suspect is in custody. Stay where you are and stay vigilant. Stay away from the GLC.
    "More later as we determine more."
    An 8:37 p.m. announcement on Tech's Web site, vt.edu, under the title, "Suspect in custody on campus murder," advised:
    "The VT PD have a suspect in custody. Please avoid the vicinity of the Graduate Life Center. Otherwise, resume your normal activity."
    The Graduate Life Center at Donaldson Brown houses 115 graduate or professional students. The center was converted from a hotel and conference center. It is situated next to the university book store.
    -- Karin Kapsidelis

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/new...201203/185020/]

It appears that the assailant downloaded an IPhone application Called Stabher that caused him to Kill more efficiently. Virginia Tech President said if they had only closed that gun show loophole this stabbing would never had happened.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

It willbe interesting to see how long it took to get the message out.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

"stay vigilant"

someone should cut their fingers off so they can't write such stupidity

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    It willbe interesting to see how long it took to get the message out.
    Roanoke.com (Roanoke Times) says it was around 20min according to a student they interviewed.

http://www.roanoke.com/news/breaking/wb/191909

Post imported post

Well I don't know what time it happened, but I got an email at 7:44pm and then a text message followed with the same message as the email at 8:17pm.

The text message system is FUBAR in my opinion. Telling me about something a minimum of 33 minutes later is essentially as quick as using smoke signals...

Post imported post

SaltH2OHokie wrote:
    Well I don't know what time it happened, but I got an email at 7:44pm and then a text message followed with the same message as the email at 8:17pm.

The text message system is FUBAR in my opinion. Telling me about something a minimum of 33 minutes later is essentially as quick as using smoke signals...
    The hardware/software is probably pretty fast. It's latency probably has to do with the human element--someone has to gather the information, someone else probably enters it in, someone else approves of the message, and finally someone has to press the "send" button.

Post imported post

kle wrote:
    SaltH2OHokie wrote:

The hardware/software is probably pretty fast. It's latency probably has to do with the human element--someone has to gather the information, someone else probably enters it in, someone else approves of the message, and finally someone has to press the "send" button.
    The message was already written for the text message. Text messages can sometimes take a long time to send (especially across networks)

Post imported post

I received a text message TWO WEEKS after it was sent.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

well, then, I stand corrected; looks like VT needs to look into other solutions, then.

Post imported post

kle wrote:
    SaltH2OHokie wrote:

Don't forget they are trying to text tens of thousands of people at essentially the same time. The time lag for one text is barely noticeable, but I am not at all surprised at these reports. I'm not a wireless telephone network engineer, but I don't believe that the SMS system was designed to be real time like the voice side of the network, and especially not for large numbers of messages.

Recent consumer reports on the massive markup and near-fraudulent profit margins for text messaging discussed the fact that text messages are transmitted via signal control channels, not the main data channels, which limits capacity even further.

TFred

Post imported post

Like I can read through all this verbage. I will be on the VT campus tomorrow at the library returning a book while OCing a 45. The only caliber appropriate for self defense IMO :^).

We shall see what happens... hopefully VT admin will allow women to protect themselves since they cannot do the same for them......

Some how this seems very similar to something that happened two years ago.....just not as tragic....

Post imported post

When are they going to ban knives?

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

richarcm wrote:
    Better yet, ban disturbed Asian students!:shock: The guy they have arrested is a 25 y.o. Chinese grad student (with the knife used, supposedly)according to a news account I just read.

DISCLAIMER!!! Please the above remark is submitted as sarcasm. Do not infer that I, in any way, would discriminate against any one based on a person's race.

Post imported post

kaiheitai17 wrote:
    richarcm wrote:
    Better yet, ban disturbed Asian students!:shock: The guy they have arrested is a 25 y.o. Chinese grad student (with the knife used, supposedly)according to a news account I just read.

DISCLAIMER!!! Please the above remark is submitted as sarcasm. Do not infer that I, in any way, would discriminate against any one based on a person's race.
    Sarcasm indeed however if it had been a white person it would have been tied somehow to racism and if it had been a black guy it would have been seen as typical.

Post imported post

It appears that the assailant downloaded an IPhone application Called Stabher that caused him to Kill more efficiently. Virginia Tech President said if they had only closed that gun show loophole this stabbing would never had happened.
    With comments like this it's no wonderpro-gun citizenshave such a hard time being taken seriously.

Post imported post

PT111 wrote:
    With comments like this it's no wonderpro-gun citizenshave such a hard time being taken seriously.
    I'm guessing you made this comment because you're unfamiliar with the recently released iPhone application called "Sniper" that makes ballistic calculations, and people who know nothing about guns believe that you can now somehow connect your iPhone to your Remington 700 .30-06 and hit a soda can from 2 miles. Or something much more nefarious.

No, the comment uses irony to address ignorance.

Ahem.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast