• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

This doesn't seem good at all.

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

This is the text of the message I just received.

VT Police have confirmed a murder in the Graduate Life Center. A suspect is in custody. Stay where you are and stay vigilant. Stay away from the GLC. -end-

Code:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Sigh - the police were just minutes away I presume.

Will look for more details.

Yata hey

nova

imported post

hunter45 wrote:
How many people have to die before they are convinced that we should be able to carry on campus?

Virginiaplanter

imported post

Published: January 21, 2009
A female student was killed this evening in the Graduate Life Center at Virginia Tech, a spokesman has confirmed.
The spokesman, Mark Owczarski, said a male suspect is in custody and police have recovered a knife that they identified as the murder weapon. He did not say whether the suspect is a student.
Tech announced the homicide on its Web site under the title, "Murder on campus," and sent out this e-mail alert at 7:44 p.m.:
"VT Police have confirmed a murder in the Graduate Life Center. A suspect is in custody. Stay where you are and stay vigilant. Stay away from the GLC.
"More later as we determine more."
An 8:37 p.m. announcement on Tech's Web site, vt.edu, under the title, "Suspect in custody on campus murder," advised:
"The VT PD have a suspect in custody. Please avoid the vicinity of the Graduate Life Center. Otherwise, resume your normal activity."
The Graduate Life Center at Donaldson Brown houses 115 graduate or professional students. The center was converted from a hotel and conference center. It is situated next to the university book store.
-- Karin Kapsidelis

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/local/article/TECHGATER22_20090121-201203/185020/]

It appears that the assailant downloaded an IPhone application Called Stabher that caused him to Kill more efficiently. Virginia Tech President said if they had only closed that gun show loophole this stabbing would never had happened.

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

Well I don't know what time it happened, but I got an email at 7:44pm and then a text message followed with the same message as the email at 8:17pm.

The text message system is FUBAR in my opinion. Telling me about something a minimum of 33 minutes later is essentially as quick as using smoke signals...

kle

imported post

SaltH2OHokie wrote:
Well I don't know what time it happened, but I got an email at 7:44pm and then a text message followed with the same message as the email at 8:17pm.

The text message system is FUBAR in my opinion. Telling me about something a minimum of 33 minutes later is essentially as quick as using smoke signals...
The hardware/software is probably pretty fast. It's latency probably has to do with the human element--someone has to gather the information, someone else probably enters it in, someone else approves of the message, and finally someone has to press the "send" button.

tag

imported post

kle wrote:
SaltH2OHokie wrote:

The hardware/software is probably pretty fast. It's latency probably has to do with the human element--someone has to gather the information, someone else probably enters it in, someone else approves of the message, and finally someone has to press the "send" button.
The message was already written for the text message. Text messages can sometimes take a long time to send (especially across networks)

TFred

imported post

kle wrote:
SaltH2OHokie wrote:

Don't forget they are trying to text tens of thousands of people at essentially the same time. The time lag for one text is barely noticeable, but I am not at all surprised at these reports. I'm not a wireless telephone network engineer, but I don't believe that the SMS system was designed to be real time like the voice side of the network, and especially not for large numbers of messages.

Recent consumer reports on the massive markup and near-fraudulent profit margins for text messaging discussed the fact that text messages are transmitted via signal control channels, not the main data channels, which limits capacity even further.

TFred

Neplusultra

imported post

Like I can read through all this verbage. I will be on the VT campus tomorrow at the library returning a book while OCing a 45. The only caliber appropriate for self defense IMO :^).

We shall see what happens... hopefully VT admin will allow women to protect themselves since they cannot do the same for them......

Some how this seems very similar to something that happened two years ago.....just not as tragic....