• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What should I do????

slowzx320

imported post

I was at the local bar eating,drinking beer and playing pool. Ive been there maybe 30 time since it has opened, and always carried my gun in concealed. The bar has no Gun Prohibited sticker nowhere and Indiana you can carry in a bar. I was playing pool at the time was on my 3rd game, apparently the cook seen my gun went i was bent over for a shot. So he told the manager or whoever which was a women, she came over to me and asked if i had a gun..... I said yes. I have a permit is there a problem? She asked to see my permit, i show it to her i said there is no sticker on the door that says no guns aloud. She really didnt have anything to say, she took it to the show somebody them came out and asked if i could put it in my car. I said sure no problem real nice, I left it at that I got there number so i can call the owner. What should I do??? this is the first time i was asked to put my gun away

Thanks Brian

bobcat

imported post

Like RMS says: Find another place to shoot pool.

1. And as Doug alludes to: Why would you even *think* of showing your permit to anyone other than a cop upon request? That's your personal info on the pink card. At the most, a simple yes or no should be sufficient. Beyond that it's time to move on if folks are upset.

2. They are not afraid of the gun, they are 'afraid' of you. They may raise a ruckus about the gun, but it'sthe carrierthat concerns them. No offense, that's the psychology involved. Folks like that see a firearm and immediately think the worst. And that 'worst' impunes your character as a law abiding citizen. Would the owner rather an unlicensed, unvetted individual be in their establishment or someone like you, a law abiding citizen?

3. If someone asks you to leave your sidearm in the car in front of several folks, that's a real risk if you actually do it. First the gun is unattended in the car (unless of course you have a highly secure, lockedstorage area)and it is still your responsibility. Second, they KNOW you are disarmed. All bad as there are poor fieldcraft issues here.

4. If you're going to carry concealed, do a better job. You know this now I suspect, but you did ask.

5. Consider returning to the establishment and letting the owner know, politely,that while it is their perogative,unless he/she allows law abiding citizens like you to carry a firearm, you and your friends will vote with their wallet. Don't argue. Just *politely* discuss. You might convert the owner. :cool: If you get a negative response, justleave and don't go back.

6. In the future, if you are in an establishment that serves alcohol, and you are carrying, put yourself 'on the wagon'. If you need to respond to a defensive situation, you'll have all your mental acuity, coordination and if a cop gets the least bit involved you'll have much more credibility if you have not been consuming adult beverages. Firearms and adult beverages don't mix. If you plan on consuming adult beverages, leave the sidearm at home in the safe. :)

You asked...;)

slowzx320

imported post

^ I respect that, I guess ill have a talk with the owner and see what they have to say. And next time if this happens ill make sure i wont let my permit leave my hands, or leave my gun in the car. I guess ill try to convert the owner LOL

r6-rider

imported post

not everyone gets emotional or stupid with a firearm when drinking. personally there is no limit for how much i can drink that would make me forget that i would go to jail and forever live with the guilt of killing someone while intoxicated. but then again having a firearm on me would also be in the back of my mind which would limit me to 1 or 2 for the night

Pamiam

imported post

Does your state prohibit carry in places where alcohol is consumed? If so, they don't need a sign.

Alcohol and firearms can be a volatile mixture, even among the most level headed and well meaning. I'm against it, m'self.

I very much respect the right to carry. Had it been my establishment I would have offered options: put it in the car, hand it over to your designated driver friend, switch to soda, or leave.

You may find a bar owner that permits their patrons to carry while consuming, but frankly I wouldn't personally want to patronize that bar. Please post the name if you find one. ;)

Decoligny

imported post

Pamiam wrote:
Does your state prohibit carry in places where alcohol is consumed? If so, they don't need a sign.

Alcohol and firearms can be a volatile mixture, even among the most level headed and well meaning. I'm against it, m'self.

I very much respect the right to carry. Had it been my establishment I would have offered options: put it in the car, hand it over to your designated driver friend, switch to soda, or leave.

You may find a bar owner that permits their patrons to carry while consuming, but frankly I wouldn't personally want to patronize that bar. Please post the name if you find one. ;)
It's right there in the Original Post: "The bar has no Gun Prohibited sticker nowhere and Indiana you can carry in a bar."

PaulBlart

Banned
imported post

i drink and carry... well every time i drink since i carry always.

but then again, i have several years of training, and several years of experience...

i wouldn't recommend it to civilians, but as you all know heroes like me are highly trained and responsible

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

PaulBlart wrote:
i drink and carry... well every time i drink since i carry always.

but then again, i have several years of training, and several years of experience...

i wouldn't recommend it to civilians, but as you all know heroes like me are highly trained and responsible

Stop! You're killing me.

(Capitalization hepls.) See? I'm laughing so hard I can't spell straihgt.

Aran

Banned
imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
Guns + alcohol.... hmmm

Forget the car, leave it at home if you're drinking.
Not everyone is a high school girl. Some people can handle drinking more than a wine cooler without being falldown, retardedly drunk.

Carnivore

imported post

slowzx320 wrote:
I was at the local bar eating,drinking beer and playing pool. Ive been there maybe 30 time since it has opened, and always carried my gun in concealed. The bar has no Gun Prohibited sticker nowhere and Indiana you can carry in a bar. I was playing pool at the time was on my 3rd game, apparently the cook seen my gun went i was bent over for a shot. So he told the manager or whoever which was a women, she came over to me and asked if i had a gun..... I said yes. I have a permit is there a problem? She asked to see my permit, i show it to her i said there is no sticker on the door that says no guns aloud. She really didnt have anything to say, she took it to the show somebody them came out and asked if i could put it in my car. I said sure no problem real nice, I left it at that I got there number so i can call the owner. What should I do??? this is the first time i was asked to put my gun away

Thanks Brian
Why would one keep handing the cops more Hole cards in the first place, Drink at home, If i had to have a gun on me to enjoy a cold frosty, I'd find a more friendlier atmosphere.. The legal ramifications of having to use your firearm under the influence of alcohol, ain't worth the headache..

jmlefler

imported post

Imagine if a law was passed that said you could not exercise your right to worship freely if your blood alcohol was >.02.

Or freely assemble.

Or read a newspaper.

"Oh, your BAC is >.02, your 4th amendment rights are no longer valid"

You get picked up for suspicion of DUI, oops, no attorney for you, you're drunk.

When did we let alcohol become an indicator for our level of rights? Look how far we've come; not 100 years ago the Federal Gov't knew that in order to affect such a change on our society as to prohibit alcohol required an Amendment to the Constitution. The Constitution itself had to be changed. Now it just seems like a wave of the magic wand, or executive order, or AG opinion. Those folks understood the Constitution. No longer so.

I'm just sayin'

Carry on.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

jmlefler wrote:
Imagine if a law was passed that said you could not exercise your right to worship freely if your blood alcohol was >.02.

Or freely assemble.

Or read a newspaper.

You get picked up for suspicion of DUI, oops, no attorney for you, you're drunk.

When did we let alcohol become an indicator for our level of rights? Look how far we've come; not 100 years ago the Federal Gov't knew that in order to affect such a change on our society as to prohibit alcohol required an Amendment to the Constitution. The Constitution itself had to be changed. Now it just seems like a wave of the magic wand, or executive order, or AG opinion. Those folks understood the Constitution. No longer so.

I'm just sayin'

Carry on.
Jus' sayin' the truth!

Pamiam

imported post

I don't personally carry while drinking. I think it's a bad mix. I don't drive while drinking, either.

When I am the designated driver, I carry. When I am not, my designated driver does.

That's just me.

If the law permits carry in a bar in Indiana, and you really feel you must do that, then it shouldn't be a problem to find a bar which permits it.

The bar in question is a private establishment. They can ask anyone to leave at any time and for any reason. Nobody has a right to drink there.

As to what to do, hand them a "no guns, no money" card and go someplace else.

wrightme

imported post

I'm just sayin, that you will find MANY restrictions upon your actions while under the influence of intoxicants. This is not to say that rights are negated, but you can argue that they may be suspended while intoxicated.

Point of fact concerning carry and alcohol. Depending upon location, it isn't a crime or restriction to drink while carrying, but it may well be a crime to be legally intoxicated while carrying. I believe this is the case for Nevada. Frankly, I feel that this is not a bad thing.

You could also make a case for such with freedom of speech, with laws against public intoxication.

jmlefler wrote:

Or freely assemble.

Or read a newspaper.

I'm just sayin'

Carry on.

compmanio365

imported post

wrightme wrote:
I'm just sayin, that you will find MANY restrictions upon your actions while under the influence of intoxicants. This is not to say that rights are negated, but you can argue that they may be suspended while intoxicated.

Point of fact concerning carry and alcohol. Depending upon location, it isn't a crime or restriction to drink while carrying, but it may well be a crime to be legally intoxicated while carrying. I believe this is the case for Nevada. Frankly, I feel that this is not a bad thing.

You could also make a case for such with freedom of speech, with laws against public intoxication.

This is the biggest problem we face, folks. People who justify and rationalize the restriction of rights, even within our own causes. The idea of "compromise" and "not so bad" have led to the country we live in today, where government is all encompassing and freedoms are stripped in secret back room meetings of rich men and women that have no thought to the well being of the people they govern, but only how much money they can strip from them and how quickly.

Do I think drinking and carrying while in public is a good idea?Not to drunkenness, for sure. But if I want to have a beer while carrying, I see no problem with it. I'm a responsible adult, and I know when I've had enough. "Enough" is a much lower bar when I'm carrying than when I'm not. But that's a decision for me to decide, not some rich lawyer in the state or federal capitol who thinks we need to be told how to live our lives. Stop justifying and rationalizing the government's invasion into your lives and activities......that is how they win in the fight to take away our rights one at a time.

slowzx320

imported post

Well Me, having a gun on me is the first thing that is mind wherever i go.... it is a deadly weapon. And thank you for all your responses, I get what you are all saying I can see from all sides. I'm far from stupid I don't see anything wrong with having 2 0r 3 beers and carrying a gun. This is just the first negative response Ive gotten from carrying my gun. Ive even OC'd in Chilis resturant bar and know one batted an eye. Should i talk to the owner or just leave it at that, leave my gun while im there??

zoom6zoom

imported post

Perhaps you can indeed handle your intake. I think what many object to is the example you set by carrying and drinking (yes, I understand if it's concealed most won't know about it).