• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Where to store when can't OC

The_Mossad

imported post

Many sistuations, including my FIL thread, calls for those who OC to actually put our firearm away at times. A perfect example is for those of us who go to a friends/family house who does not want a firearm in their house. Yet, you want to OC on the way to their house and the many stops that one may make on the way (stores, gas, etc.)

Where and how do most of you store your firearm in these sistuations?

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

If you are comfortable concealing at your family's you can simply OC with a paddle holster on the way, and swap to an IWB (that you put on before you left) once you're there.

JDriver1.8t

imported post

I do this:

DSC03272.jpg

It is not able to be seen from outside the car and is bolted down.

The_Mossad

imported post

ok strange question...would you consider it "conceal" even though your weapon is not on you? Just curious about proper terminology here.

JDriver1.8t

imported post

If it is unloaded and in the trunk, it is legal for transport anywhere in the country according to the federal government.

In NC, it is not concealled ifyou am not in possession of it. So,a personcan hide it in the car, whenthey're not in the car. Ifthey get in the car,they have .0000001 seconds to make it not concealled (unless the have a CHP).

I lock it in the safe loaded when I go into establishments that don't allow carry. Then I get back to the car, put it back on my side and get in the car. If I am traveling with multiple weapons, I usually have them unloaded (slide back) with their mags beside them in the safe and my primary on or beside me.

shad0wfax

imported post

The_Mossad wrote:
Many sistuations, including my FIL thread, calls for those who OC to actually put our firearm away at times. A perfect example is for those of us who go to a friends/family house who does not want a firearm in their house. Yet, you want to OC on the way to their house and the many stops that one may make on the way (stores, gas, etc.)

I have a CPL and I simply conceal the firearm before I go into the house of someone who wouldn't allow me in if I were open-carrying. My right to keep and bear arms and defend my own life can peacefully co-exist with their right to be sheeple on their own private property, so long as I don't cause them any harm or alarm. What they don't know can't hurt them.

(Then again, I don't remain friends with folks who won't tolerate Open-Carry of my firearm for very long, so it's a non-issue for me.)

The_Mossad

imported post

You aren't the first to give me that advice to be honest. Problem is that sometims it isn't a choice...I can't control a father/mother in law that is illogical, but it would seem even moer illogical on my part to part ways with my woman because of it. I suppose I made my choice when I choose here, since that is with right wingers like myself do...take responsibility...however many things have come to light post-finding the lady. If you read the FIL thread, you'll see what I mean. Things come out later.

shad0wfax wrote:
The_Mossad wrote:

I have a CPL and I simply conceal the firearm before I go into the house of someone who wouldn't allow me in if I were open-carrying. My right to keep and bear arms and defend my own life can peacefully co-exist with their right to be sheeple on their own private property, so long as I don't cause them any harm or alarm. What they don't know can't hurt them.

(Then again, I don't remain friends with folks who won't tolerate Open-Carry of my firearm for very long, so it's a non-issue for me.)

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

The_Mossad wrote:
You aren't the first to give me that advice to be honest. Problem is that sometims it isn't a choice...I can't control a father/mother in law that is illogical, but it would seem even moer illogical on my part to part ways with my woman because of it. I suppose I made my choice when I choose here, since that is with right wingers like myself do...take responsibility...however many things have come to light post-finding the lady. If you read the FIL thread, you'll see what I mean. Things come out later.
It sounds like your wife won't let you get away with concealing at your in-laws?

You might want to remind her that you are trying to protect her, and everyone else around you when you carry. The most important thing is for her to be on your side.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

To: The_Mossad
First and foremost - please edit your profile. Knowing your home state will materially effect the specifics of our replies.

Not going to give you much advice on how to handle your partner - that can be very easy or nearly impossible dependent of the two people involved - good luck with it though.

My primary suggestion would be to invite her to the range - let her see how safe guns can be and how much fun too. Let it grow from there.

Yata hey

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
... Let it grow from there.

Yata hey
I did not intend to advise the method of communication with your partner. I simply wanted to reiterate that she is the most important piece to the puzzle. If she's behind you (or next to you), anything is possible ;).

unreconstructed1

imported post

my FIL had a problem with me carrying at one time. the solution was simple. I informed my wife that since my weapon wasn't welcome, and I always carried my weapon, then I wasn't welcome. I dropped her off, picked her up, or waited outside. after awhile, everything died down.