Thread: Martinsburg Open Carry

Post imported post

I was reading the article from the journal and i noticed that it said that martinsburg had some restrictions on OC/CC. Is it safe to OC/CC in the mall and at Wal-Mart... Anyone had any experience OC in these areas?[img]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Evan/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/img]

State Researcher

Post imported post

Link?
    James M. "Jim" Mullins, Jr., Esq.
    Admitted to practice in West Virginia and Florida.

Founder, Past President, Treasurer, and General Counsel, West Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
    Life Member, NRA

Post imported post

it was the article about the ranson ordinace... not sure of the link

State Researcher

Post imported post

OK.

We defeated a proposed ordinance in Ranson that would have violated the state preemption law by prohibiting carrying on city-owned property.

The only ordinance currently in effect that is problematic for us is a Martinsburg ordinance that prohibits carrying in city-owned buildings. Weinsist this ordinance violates the preemption law but weare deferring further action on this issue pending the outcome of a bill to strengthen the preemption law during the upcoming legislative session. I hope we can count on your help.
    James M. "Jim" Mullins, Jr., Esq.
    Admitted to practice in West Virginia and Florida.

Founder, Past President, Treasurer, and General Counsel, West Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
    Life Member, NRA

Post imported post

let me know what I can do to help... is there a website where i can download a wv gun law pamphlet to distribute to raise awareness? i found one for PA that i sent to my uncle but havent been able to find one for wv

Post imported post

Delegate John Overington from Martinsburg is holding a town hall meeting on 02/07. Unfortunately he's had two meetings already and we missed them. The third and final one is this Saturday from 10-11:30 am at the Bedington Ruritan Building.

Delegate Overington is from Martinsburg, which passedthe ordinance that prohibits you from carrying a firearm in city-owned buildings. This ordinance was passed several years after WV passed its preemption law, so M-burg is in violation of it. Delegate Overington spoke out against the ordinance at a city council meeting last year.

http://www.overington.com/reports/01232009.htm

EFI, LLC - 07/C2 in Inwood, WV
    Custom firearms, gunsmithing, machine gun rentals, and it's just $10 for a Transfer!

Post imported post

WVCDL wrote:
    OK.

We defeated a proposed ordinance in Ranson that would have violated the state preemption law by prohibiting carrying on city-owned property.

The only ordinance currently in effect that is problematic for us is a Martinsburg ordinance that prohibits carrying in city-owned buildings. Weinsist this ordinance violates the preemption law but weare deferring further action on this issue pending the outcome of a bill to strengthen the preemption law during the upcoming legislative session. I hope we can count on your help.

So in Martinsburg and Ranson, etc. it's fine to Open Carry in businesses without signs prohibiting or down the street, etc. Only problem would be in city owned businesses?

Post imported post

Any update on the Martinsburg ordinance's?

WVCDL wrote:
    OK.

Post imported post

I have a good friend who is the City Planner in Martinsburg. We were talking the other day, and she told me that this restriction was revised and only applies to City-owned buildings now.

OC is legal in Martinsburg, but you can't carry in City Hall, or any of the other myriad of city-owned buildings or offices.

So yeah, they STILL have an illegal law on the books, but it's only an issue if you go into a city-owned building.

The next time I'm in town, I'll definitely be stopping by to visit her at her office in the City Building--wearing my empty holster in protest...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964