• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I KNOW I AM DOOMED FOR POSTING

chp_kyborn

imported post

I am a 12 year member of the California Highway Patrol. I am native to the great bluegrass. I know due to HR .218 I can carry open, consealed anyway I want really. But my wife however can not. She finished her CCDW training and is now waiting the4 month wait of applying for it. In California you cant carry anything that you can conceal. I know it is not this way in Kentucky. So to get to my question now, Can anyone show me a statute that stats she can carry open without a CCDW? I am in Bell County, might aswell say TN. And I get mixed answers from every LEO around here. Half of them do not even know the CCDW laws. Any help would be great. Thanks!

WCrawford

imported post

The law is most always written as what you can not do, not what you are allowed to do.

The closest thing there is to anything written is the Kentucky Constitution.

Have her stay on the Kentucky side of the state line if she does open carry, as you do need a recognized carry permit to carry openly or concealed in TN.

TheMrMitch

imported post

As WCrawford said, no laws against OC. I added a few tidbits for you::dude:And, you are not doomed.

*Firearms Ownership: unrestricted, no permit or license required

[align=left]
*Assault weapon ownership: unrestricted, no permit or license required[/align]

[align=left] *Machine Gun Ownership:
no state restrictions, compliance with federal law only[/align]

[align=left] *Firearm law uniformity:
preemption law, firearm laws uniform throughout state[/align]

[align=left] *Right of Self-Defense: castle doctrine, right protected by statute[/align]

[align=left] *Open carry: unrestricted in most public areas and generally accepted[/align]

[align=left] *Concealed carry:
licenses granted to residents on a "shall issue" basis; automatic
reciprocity for nonresidents with licenses from other states[/align]

[align=left] *Vehicle carry and transportation:
firearms (rifles, shotguns and handguns) may
be carried
loaded and in plain view; loaded handguns maybe carried in
the glove compartment (center console box carry is not allowed)
[/align]

[align=left][/align]

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

chp_kyborn wrote:
I am a 12 year member of the California Highway Patrol. I am native to the great bluegrass. I know due to HR .218 I can carry open, consealed anyway I want really. But my wife however can not. She finished her CCDW training and is now waiting the4 month wait of applying for it. In California you cant carry anything that you can conceal. I know it is not this way in Kentucky. So to get to my question now, Can anyone show me a statute that stats she can carry open without a CCDW? I am in Bell County, might aswell say TN. And I get mixed answers from every LEO around here. Half of them do not even know the CCDW laws. Any help would be great. Thanks!
Welcome to OCDO! As they arise, please post your (and your wife's) OC experiences.

One big thing-don't aska LEO about the law.

This suggestion is supported by two things right here in front of you - a) that half of thge LEOs you spoke withdon't even know the CCDW laws, and b)despite your LE background, you imply thatthings are illegal unless there is a law stating that they are legal.

wrightme

imported post

chp_kyborn wrote:

I believe "doomed" is in reference to the following:

"I am a 12 year member of the CHP."

"In California you can't carry anything that you can conceal."

He mentions that he is a LE, or was an LE, and does not know the law.

wrightme

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
He mentions that he is a LE, or was an LE, and does not know the law.
Actually I think he was asking about Ky and Tn statutes. Should we expect a CHP to know laws in another state? Probably not.
But as a former LE in CA, we should expect him to be familiar with those laws.

chp_kyborn wrote:
I am a 12 year member of the California Highway Patrol.
chp_kyborn wrote:
In California you cant carry anything that you can conceal.
I see a problem here.

chp_kyborn

imported post

Thanks alot TheMrMitch! I know from experience that laws do not tell you what you can do. But in most subsections it does list a cheat sheet if you will of what you can fudge a bit on. Sorry Wright time but it has been 17 years since I have lived in KY. Im sure alot of laws have changed. TaskForce you are exactly right. I do not know the P.C. or the V.C.'s for KY. I can pretty much tell you all of them in CA. In fact everyone should know the laws of their state. The CHP website sells statute books for the public. Boy KY is a great state. I can even carry my AR in my truck. And I will keepeveryone posted on her experience until she recieves her CCDW.

wrightme

imported post

chp_kyborn wrote:
Thanks alot TheMrMitch! I know from experience that laws do not tell you what you can do. But in most subsections it does list a cheat sheet if you will of what you can fudge a bit on. Sorry Wright time but it has been 17 years since I have lived in KY. Im sure alot of laws have changed. TaskForce you are exactly right. I do not know the P.C. or the V.C.'s for KY. I can pretty much tell you all of them in CA. In fact everyone should know the laws of their state. The CHP website sells statute books for the public. Boy KY is a great state. I can even carry my AR in my truck. And I will keepeveryone posted on her experience until she recieves her CCDW.
I respect that you are getting up to speed on the laws of a state that you have not lived in for a while.

I see that you are possibly muddy on the laws of the state where you enforced the laws.

IanB

imported post

Welcome to OCDO Kyborn,

Don't take things the wrong way. Some folks feel LEO's should know all the laws all the time. It stems from the LEO mentality that "ignorance of the law is no excuse". Make yourself at home and have fun while you're here. If someone gives you a hard time, there is no "ignore button" on this board, you'll have to use the one you were born with.

I've open carried in Ky before with NO problems whatsoever.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Welcome to OCDO chp_kyborn! KY is a great state for open carry. I have open carried there in one form or another since I was about 11 years old and spent my summers there. Another thing that may be helpful to you are the multiple maps about open carry linked from the www.opencarry.org main page.

Hope you stick around and share your experiences with us. There are a few anti-LEO types around, but that is not the case. There are several other LEOs who are active contributors to the forum. Like nakedshoplifter said, there are times you (and all of us) will have to use the "ignore button" you were born with.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
SNIP If someone gives you a hard time, there is no "ignore button" on this board, you'll have to use the one you were born with.

We can make a new slogan for the forum:

"Use your ignore button before someone else uses your ignorant button."

:)

chp_kyborn

imported post

No one can remember every law of the state inwhich they enforce. But sorry. It is the law. You cant carry anything concealable. It is up to the officer if he thinks you should be cited or not. But my wife and I both open carried yesterday. Had one small encounter at a gas station. The clerk told us that "weapons are not allowed in here sir". So I smilled, handed her my no guns no business card and we left there after. Even went into the Middlesboro wal mart with no problems. Boy I sure did miss this great state.

wrightme

imported post

chp_kyborn wrote:
No one can remember every law of the state inwhich they enforce. But sorry. It is the law. You cant carry anything concealable. It is up to the officer if he thinks you should be cited or not. But my wife and I both open carried yesterday. Had one small encounter at a gas station. The clerk told us that "weapons are not allowed in here sir". So I smilled, handed her my no guns no business card and we left there after. Even went into the Middlesboro wal mart with no problems. Boy I sure did miss this great state.
That must be a real new law then. What CA statute prevents carry of a concealable firearm?

This forum is OCDO, and has an active CA section. Many California citizens exercize open carry of pistols, which are normally considered to be concealable.

superdemon

imported post

chp_kyborn wrote:

There are many laws, but what you must know is that open carry is protected by the KY constitution.
And I am an LEO.

http://www.lrc.state.ky.us/statrev/frontpg.htm