• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Road rage/ possible DUI

fire suppressor

imported post

I got off work early today so I decided to go see my parents on Bainbridge Island, it had been a while. I was driving on 305 on the north end of the island. It was dark and i was the only car on the road. After a while I came across a car in front of me. At first the car had a few slight swerves but I didnt read to much into it, I think are all guilty of a slight jerk now and then. As I fallowed the car became more unstable. We began going anywhere from 10-20 MPH under the speed limit, unable to drive at a constant speed. The car also began crossing both yellow and white lines. I still had my gear in the car and did not want to have to toss it back onbecause some guy drunk hit a tree right in front of me. I called 911 and advised them of what was going on. I made sure to keep my distance to provide enough reaction time for the car in front of me. About this same time the car in front of me started flipping me off and shaking a fist at me. The car started making very hard break checks and swerving now all over the road. I kept my distance best I could but after a few hard break checks we both came to a hard stop on 305. His car was blocking my lane with the drivers door facing me. I now had cars behind me and was unable to back up. there was not enough room for me to make a U turn so I tried simply going around the car but every time I did the car blocked me. Once again at a stop on the highway I could see 2 white males in the car. Both VERY upset about something and still flipping me off. What was alarming is before I could see the drivers hands now he kept them hidden. I have spent 6 years in the failed and anyone who has will tell you there are serten situations when things just dont feel right, this was one of those times. My gut was telling me I did not want to be hear and the hair on the back of my neck was standing strait up. things just did not feel right.It was at this point I drew my XD .40 cal. I kept it down low not visible to the other car I made sure of that. The driver of the car began to get out of his car still not allowing his hands to be seen. I now had to many cars behind me and wasn't going annoyware. The man got about halfway out of his car and then stopped. I dont know what changed or what thoughts he was having but he quickly got back into his car and sped off. I know he did not see my gun so i'm not sure what would have scared him. That was that last I saw of the car. Although I have been carrying for a few years I never really thought I would ever draw it any place other than the rang. I hope that everyone in this forum agrees that even drawing there weapon is something that they never wish to have to do, but at the time I did feel scared for my life. glad I had it but I hope never to have to remove it from its holster a 2nd time. It is also a good reminder just beacuse your in a "small town" dosnt mean something cant happen

northofnowhere

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Nice nick :) I think you did the right thing in the right way :) Storming out of the car with your pistol would have been uncalled for at that point, but being prepared quietly is definately worth doing. Perhaps he thought you were someone else or had an altercation at the last bar he was at and thought you were the person and realized the stupidity of his actions upon noticing you weren't the person from before at all. Just a guess, although mentally unstable people are often hard to read, lol.

Unrelated.... going through FFI myself now, been on my volunteer department bout 7 months now, been a real learning experience with an interesting learning curve. Soon as I started understanding wildland fires here we got into hard winter and am still learning the fun and joy of how fast a chimney fire from a wood stove can turn into a structure fire (and always around 3am too).

compmanio365

imported post

I think you did everything well, not sure how the road is where you are, but I would have been 4x4ing it to get away from that guy. As it was, only you know what the situation really was, and as you described it, I think you did the best you could in that situation. Maybe that guy finally got 'that feeling' that if he didn't back off, he'd be in a world of hurt. Glad everyone made it out of that without force having to be used.

Machoduck

imported post

It sounds to me as if you did nothing wrong. Nothing in the law that I'm aware of says that you can't prepare for an attack, provided you don't prepare in a way that inflames the situation further. You kept your pistol hidden, so that wouldn't apply.

MD

j2l3

imported post

Well done. ALways best to be prepared in cases like that.

My guess on why he left, to many witnesses in the cars behind you.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Something similar happened to me (not road rage, but knowing (feeling) something bad was going to happen when I was parked in my car up here in Belling three guys casing my care while I was in it reading and they started approaching I took the same actions as you. Fortunately for me what looked like a Vietnam vet walked up to one of the guys and said something and they walked away. Maybe he got the same bad feeling too.

I feel if the economy keeps going south things are going to get even more sketchy and more instances like this will be happening. One of the reasons why I spent some of my last savings arming myself and my woman.

Congratulationson not escalating the situation but also refusing to be a victim.

compmanio365

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
Something similar happened to me (not road rage, but knowing (feeling) something bad was going to happen when I was parked in my car up here in Belling three guys casing my care while I was in it reading and they started approaching I took the same actions as you. Fortunately for me what looked like a Vietnam vet walked up to one of the guys and said something and they walked away. Maybe he got the same bad feeling too.

I feel if the economy keeps going south things are going to get even more sketchy and more instances like this will be happening. One of the reasons why I spent some of my last savings arming myself and my woman.

Congratulationson not escalating the situation but also refusing to be a victim.
I had a similar situation as well, wasn't driving, but just arriving at a friend's house, and a group of "thugs" I guess you'd call them, real "gangbanger" types, were casing my car, looking probably to see if there was anything worth stealing as I got out of my car. When I turned strong side to them however, the situation changed real quick. "How you doin' sir" and "Have a nice day" were the first and last things out of their mouths. I just nodded and stood there until they went around the corner. Never had a problem, but I feel like if I hadn't subtly let them know I was armed that it could have been a very different outcome, with 5 of them vs 1 of me. And I think you're right, as the economy gets worse and worse, more and more of this kind of thing will happen. Best thing for all of us to do is be armed at all times, and don't be afraid to call a situation as you see it. That "gut feeling" is usually pretty correct, and it can save you a lot of trouble.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Yea I agree and you actually had to go to the step of letting them be aware you were armed. Proves the thinking I have that most people who prey on other people follow typical predator attitude of going for the weak. Lions don't typically target the ones with antlers they go after the sick and weak.My freind who conceals thinks that open carry makes me a target and I told him maybe so but not of thugs but people who are anti-gun.

shad0wfax

imported post

I don't think you could have done anything better at all. Off-roading to escape him might have worked, but that also might have placed you in a more dangerous position of being in front of him. (I'd rather have an armed bad-guy in front of me in his vehicle than following me...)

Dr. Fresh

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
I think you did everything well, not sure how the road is where you are, but I would have been 4x4ing it to get away from that guy. As it was, only you know what the situation really was, and as you described it, I think you did the best you could in that situation. Maybe that guy finally got 'that feeling' that if he didn't back off, he'd be in a world of hurt. Glad everyone made it out of that without force having to be used.

I'm intimately familiar with the area, having lived there for years. The ditches on either side of 305 (two-lane highway) are only a few feet away from the pavement, and Fire Supressor drives a compact front-wheel drive car with an open differential, so off-roading isn't really an option.