• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Benelli M1 legality?

Paul Volk

imported post

I know this is slightly off-topic for a site like this, but I figured I might be able to get a straight answer from one of you guys, as most of us own more than just pistols.

I'm in the process of purchasing a Benelli M1 12 gauge for my father. He's dead set on wanting a factory pistol grip and extended magazine tube. He was told that the only way to legally own such a combination would be to purchase a "pre-ban" M1.

The one that I've located has a build date of July 1994. The current owner states that the pistol grip and extended magazine tube are factory options, and he's listing it as a pre-ban firearm.

Questions:

* Do I need to be shopping specifically for a pre-ban M1 to be legal?
* Is the pistol grip+ extended magazine tube a legal combination?
* Is anyone able to verify that a July '94 build is infact pre-ban? (The girl that answered the phone at Benelli was not sure exactly when the ban began)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Legba

imported post

The whole pre-/post-ban issue is moot since the AWB law expired. People may try to gouge buyers a bit with pre-ban nostalgia, but you can legally get a newer piece with the same features since the law expired.

-ljp

Paul Volk

imported post

Excellent. Thank you very much for the information, gentlemen.

Pops is going to be a happy man when this thing shows up. :)