• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wal-Mart's new NO GUN policy???

lilothedog

imported post

While OCing last weekend at my local Wal-Mart store in Lewiston, ID. I was approached by the manager. He asked me next time I come into the store to "leave my firearm in my vehicle". I asked "why"? He stated that he had some "concerned" customers that saw me with my gun (holstered obviously). I proceeded to tell him that his "concerned" customers were responsible for their own feelings and that I am in no way doing anything illegal. And the fact that Wal-Mart policy is to mimic state policy; which in Idaho and Washington it is legal to open carry. He said yes I know, but I have to ask you to leave it in your vehicle anyways. I said OK, whatever and continued my shopping with my wife. The more and more I got thinking about the whole situation, the more I got pissed off. He didn't even ask me if I was LEO, had a permit or nothing. Now, just some brief history; I've been OCing at that store for many many years. Never had a problem. Well, that night when I got home, I wrote a letter to Wal-Mart corporate and emailed it to them. The next day, the assistant manager at the Lewiston store (Ada) called me. She proceeded to tell me that Wal-Marts policy is and always has been, NO FIREARMS. I told her she was full of shit! I corrected her on the policy and asked her to reference it in her policy book. She said she didn't have one. I asked her to send a copy of the policy to me. She said she would have to contact corporate for a copy. I said, "your telling me you don't keep a copy of your own policies on hand!?". So, I'm kind of perplexed by the whole situation here. I wish I could get about a dozen people from the area here and take a trip to Wal-Mart and go shopping!:celebrateBecause I have no intention of EVER leaving my sidearm in my vehicle! Any thoughts?

imported post

get in touch with Toni at 208-467-7313, or at 208-467-2583, he is the Manager for all of Idaho, and he should hopefully clear things up with his lower level staff, and educate him. :)

imported post

No I don't, sorry, but we, Me, and I think one other guy (can't remember his name) have had a lengthy discussion about this before, and he set our local walmart GM's straight.

kibbles1n0bits

imported post

I find that odd... I worked for Wal-Mart in So. VA and even though they wouldnt let me OC while working they said as long as it was concealed and no one knew i was cc that they didnt care...

shad0wfax

imported post

kibbles1n0bits wrote:
I find that odd... I worked for Wal-Mart in So. VA and even though they wouldnt let me OC while working they said as long as it was concealed and no one knew i was cc that they didnt care...

I know a Wal-Mart employee who CC'd with the store's permission up in eastern WA state also. They said the same thing to him.

Back to the original topic, Wal-Mart has a corporate policy stating that each store is to follow the law of whatever state the store is located in. There are several threads about that in the Washington state forum if you search for them. One is quite current.

Tylerc

imported post

That is weird I've OC'd plenty of times into wallmart and none of the customers even blinked twice. Post what you guys find out I would like to know more on the subject.

John Wolver

imported post

I do it in Caldwell walmart all the time, gonna try 12th street and garrity soon too.

Just keep your cool and its lots of fun to educate them on their policies :cool:

lilothedog

imported post

Yeah guys, I don't know why that one instance happened? I've OC'd in there since, numerous times and never heard a word. I'm not really worried about it; I know state law allows me to OC, and if they want to give me a no trespass order, that's fine with me too. I'm not worried about being arrested or anything like that; my wife is an attorney, so the free legal counsel would be nice! At any rate, the Wal-Mart in Lewiston, ID is closing and a new Mega Wal-Mart is opening here in Clarkston, WA on September 1st. I'm sure it will have all the same managers. And I know all the cops here in Clarkston too. So, I'll feel a whole bunch more comfortable OC'ing at this store.

Thelukaskezik

imported post

I personally work at the 12th ave wal-mart as a cashier.

i keep my gun in my car while i work, but i carry in there when i'm not working. during my second day of training after getting hired in April, our AP supervisor (asset protection - he's kind of like our security against shop lifters and such) along with our store manager Brett told us that if we see any guns or anything, it's legal in this state and our store as long as it's in a holster. if someone's waiving a gun around, we know what to do, but by all means, OC is perfectly fine by our management and anyone else in the store.

John Wolver

imported post

that may be, but i keep hearing reports, and have ran into a door greeter that worked at that location, that keep saying its not allowed. so i and make will go test it out and find out.

Hiredgun30

imported post

john wolver, brent, and I all oced at the 12th ave walmart in nampa today at 2:00 pm. the greeter didnt seem to notice that we were all ocing. even with john two feet away from her while we were walking in. we went back to the gun counter(the ammo supply was bare bones) we checked on some gun prices, spoke with two employees at the gun counter and they didnt say a word. we took the long way when we were leaving. as we were walking out the door, the greeter was watching john. No issues to report

ecocks

imported post

I was OC'ing in the WalMart at 55/Eagle and Fairview/Cherry today with no problems. As mentioned above, I don't think the greeter noticed but at least a couple of customers and one of the grocery employees were aware. No problems.

Thelukaskezik

imported post

i decided to ask one of our door greeters here at the 12th ave wal mart here in Nampa. he has a cc license, so i figured he may know. he said that our Assistant Manager Sergio told him to not bother anyone about guns as long as no other customer complains. but if a customer complains, management would ask them to leave their gun in their car. But as we were discussing that, one of the higher-ups came by. Assistant Manager James told us it was wal-mart's official policy and in the associate handbook that no guns were allowd in the store except for LEOs.

i'll try to find my copy of the associates handbook around here and cite from it, but there it is. it's true. walmart doesnt allow open carry.

jdgypsy

was Meridian ID, just moved to Killeen, Texas, USA
imported post

Tluk, look at the hand book. I can expect this will open a can of worms by stating that Walmart doesn't allow guns in the store. That may not be the best wording. You get my point, expect to see some traffic on that statement.

There have been a bunch of posts in here and a few have given out numbers of the higher level guys or at least state or regional level managers and they have stated that Walmarts policy is to follow state law. I go to the one on Meridian and Eagle Rd across from Sportmans Warehouse for the past year, once a week sometimes more and have said hello to some sort of manager while waiting to pay several times, and he said nothing. I saw him eye it, and the door greeters have eyed it a few times. Never had an issue in that one. Yeah please check that book and let us know.

Look back at some of the post in the threads and see what has been said. I go back as far as reading stuff from 2007, good reading and good info.