• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wal-Mart's new NO GUN policy???

ecocks

imported post

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that unless there was a revision in this year's policy manual that the policy is that employees are not allowed to have guns in the store.

Simply, too many questions have come up in the past about WM's policy on this and countless people have contacted Bentonville for this to have just now come out.

IndianaBoy79

imported post

Indeed. We've been through the ringer with them and their official policy is to mirror state laws. You'll have to do some digging (I'm not doing it for you as the issue is already settled in my mind), but we have documented communication with people much higher in the cooperation than that manager.

This is a polite suggestion to all the new folks.

Hearsay is not a source. Unless you have definitive proof that you can cite, do not make statements on what is or what is not allowed. You only serve to confuse people and make yourself look bad. The manual you refer to is speaking about employees.

Until you know your way around here, do yourself a favor and do a search on any topic you are about to post on. Do the proper leg work, get dirty and do some research, and don't take anyone just at their word, including me. When I post information that is new, I always show where I got it so others can find the same info. Sharing what you heard from a manager what he read in a book is poor research.

Thelukaskezik

imported post

i'm sorry, but i was only trying to help. my manager and 2 of my CSM's ( of the 12th ave, Napma store only) have said if they see anyone with guns in the store, they will ask them to return the firearm to their vehicle before continuing with their shopping. i understand ya'll want citations, refrences, and i know this is a very confusing and messed up situation. again, i appologize for any confusion - i'm just trying to help.

IndianaBoy79

imported post

Thelukaskezik wrote:
my manager and 2 of my CSM's ( of the 12th ave, Napma store only) have said if they see anyone with guns in the store, they will ask them to return the firearm to their vehicle before continuing with their shopping.
Perfect. You stated what they said without making any definitive conclusions on the subject. That's fair, and reason to dig further and challenge it with the proper information.

Please don't take anything I say on this forum personally unless I direct it towards you. If I ever do have a personal issue with anyone, it will be dealt with privately and not on a public forum. Just sharing the experience. Go back far enough in my postings and someone told me the same things.

ecocks

imported post

Someone posted a name (Tony?) and phone numbers for a regional/district level manager. Could we confim with him instead of getting lower level people riled up?

jdgypsy

was Meridian ID, just moved to Killeen, Texas, USA
imported post

ecocks, I believe that has already been done by one of the guys in here and the answer was from what I remember reading in this forum was that Walmart follows the state law. Go for it, call them up to confirm. So far it is one of th eplaces I don't expect an issue at, at least the one I go to. I would expect more issue at the state fair given the latest issues at the front gate.

IndianaBoy79

imported post

Toby, Asset Manager for all the stores in our area.
He can be contact at 208-467-7313, or at 208-467-2583.

This information was provided almost a year ago. Its possible a new person may be in charge, but you should give him a call and find out.

John Wolver

imported post

i am going back to 12th ave again when I have more time, maybe sunday or monday. I will spend more time there and see how it goes. Anyone interested let me know.

Thelukaskezik

imported post

So i've received what i consider to be an "as official-as-you-can-get" answer from the regional manager of the Washington area. I'm not sure what region we're in, but it's all the same corporation. he said as long as no customer complains, and you follow the laws of the state, then you're ok to carry firearms. and if anyone gives you trouble, ask for a salaried manager or the store facilities manager.

and if you're wondering about the 12th ave store specifically, i took the question to my store facilities manager Brett (again, i work at the 12th ave nampa store), and he said the same thing. no one should stop you unless a customer complains.

so these answers are definitely sufficient for me and as far as i'm concerned, a great conclusion to a confusing situation.

if it's still a moot point in your mind, just call 1800walmart and talk to them about it. keep at it, and you'll get your own answer if you want.

good luck to all!!!

-Lukas

John Wolver

imported post

Thelukaskezik wrote:
i'm sorry, but i was only trying to help. my manager and 2 of my CSM's ( of the 12th ave, Napma store only) have said if they see anyone with guns in the store, they will ask them to return the firearm to their vehicle before continuing with their shopping. i understand ya'll want citations, refrences, and i know this is a very confusing and messed up situation. again, i appologize for any confusion - i'm just trying to help.

ok so we have this one.

Then thelukas said:

So i've received what i consider to be an "as official-as-you-can-get" answer from the regional manager of the Washington area. I'm not sure what region we're in, but it's all the same corporation. he said as long as no customer complains, and you follow the laws of the state, then you're ok to carry firearms. and if anyone gives you trouble, ask for a salaried manager or the store facilities manager.

and if you're wondering about the 12th ave store specifically, i took the question to my store facilities manager Brett (again, i work at the 12th ave nampa store), and he said the same thing. no one should stop you unless a customer complains.

so these answers are definitely sufficient for me and as far as i'm concerned, a great conclusion to a confusing situation.

if it's still a moot point in your mind, just call 1800walmart and talk to them about it. keep at it, and you'll get your own answer if you want.

good luck to all!!!

-Lukas

So now, from the same person, we have 2 stories from 3 different departments. Ty Lukas for trying to get to the bottom of this. I will take a trip there and find out first hand. Now as for a customer complains, im sorry i am not responsible for their feelings. If I did something wrong, fine, but just because they dont like it, no. there is the law, and if i have done nothing to break it, just because they dont like it is no reason to treat me diffferently.

ecocks

imported post

Yes, while the manager's response seems initially favorable, it does leave open the question of what constitutes a valid customer complaint. Is it just someone who is nervous pr would it be that the person with the gun was actually doing something threatening, brandishing or the like.

While management may not have a well-thought-out plan on this it is a good first step in the right direction.

Maybe we could OC one of their Blimpie's or Subways for a lunch one day?

John Wolver

imported post

That might be a good idea, but ill do it and go shopping. will be getting my audio recorder from my dad to make it easier. And it has to be a better excuse then you are making people nervous. they best have me on tape brandishing if they want to push it. I will comply, but ill be loud all the way out. And then ill be calling corporate. Like IB said,to much has been done already to keep putting up with ignorance.

jdgypsy

was Meridian ID, just moved to Killeen, Texas, USA
imported post

Just drove down to the 12th Ave store from Meridian. I was able to get a box of 40FMJ. They did have one box left.

I walked in and made sure I scratched my head with my right hand/strong side as I walked past the greeter, the women saw the pistol in my holster, then I wondered around, hadn't been in this store, found the sporting goods section and bought the box of ammo. As I was snaking through I passes an assist manager, it said so on his little yellow tag under his name. Not sure if he saw the pistol/holster but I think he did, nothing happened. I walked out the long way and had no one approach me.

Now either a customer didn't complain or I was in and out of there to fast. Spent about 10 min there.

IndianaBoy79

imported post

John Wolver wrote:
I will comply, but ill be loud all the way out. And then ill be calling corporate. Like IB said,to much has been done already to keep putting up with ignorance.
I'm probably one of the most direct, "speak my mind" kind of people around. Do remember that dealing with private entities are a little different. I don't NEED the police to like me or agree with me. We do need the businesses to have respect for us though if we want to keep their policy the was it stands. Do be direct though. :)

John Wolver

imported post

IndianaBoy79 wrote:
John Wolver wrote:
I will comply, but ill be loud all the way out. And then ill be calling corporate. Like IB said,to much has been done already to keep putting up with ignorance.
I'm probably one of the most direct, "speak my mind" kind of people around. Do remember that dealing with private entities are a little different. I don't NEED the police to like me or agree with me. We do need the businesses to have respect for us though if we want to keep their policy the was it stands. Do be direct though. :)
agreed, but by making it clear my rights are violated it will also raise some heads... the whole squeaky wheel concept