• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bellingham airport AM/PM

sudden valley gunner

imported post

I tried to post this earlier but , got an error screen arrggggh.

MY freind's business partner whom I build houses for also owns a few AMPM's(convenience/gas). They have me do some minor remodeling on their stores everyonce in awhile and yesterday I was working on the Airport one.And had left my glock locked in the car not knowing their beliefs or policies on guns and its just plain hard to work with a toolbag and glock on at the same time.

I went to go outside to retreive a tool and I spotted a Trooper car with lights on behind my vehicle. Fearing the worst I proceeded outside and then noticed this trooper arresting someone directly behind my car, and this persons freind was standing on the other side of my car. I saw a little bit of opportunity and just really don't feel comfortable leaving my weapon in the car even if its locked. So I asked my freind if the owner would mind me putting my gun the office. He said well we can stick it in the back store room I shrugged my shoulders and said ok. Went to the car and put the weapon holster and weapon on. Walked around the back of the building to the store room when he said " oh I thought you said dog" ( being of eastern Indian descent sometimes there areminor language misunderstandings) he said no lets bring that to the office. The owners son was there and said it was fine and stored it in a file cabinet for me. He then asked if I had a permit and I told him I didn't need one in the state of washington. He was surprised, and we had discussion of open carry and that the only time I would need a permit is to conceal it. He asked what about buying guns without a permit I told him there was only a 5 day waiting period . I told him he could go buy one if he wanted to and he seemed interested (he has taken his citizenship test and is a citizen of U.S.) but surprised that he could do that.

Later after work (well after 9:00 PM) the owner was there but not the son so asked him to get my firearm back he said sure (he knew they had it, but not where ). Again asked the same questions of his son and we had pretty much the same conversation. I then invited them to go to the range with me sometime and they both said they would like that. He seemed pretty knowledgable about weapons (maybe he was in the Indian military) and asked all kinds of questions about caliber and magazine capacity, I removed my gun took out the mag and made sure the chamber was clear and let him examine it. My freind also asked if he could look at it too, so I let him. The owner than proceeded to lecture him on gun safety the basic rules we all know here and also told him never to dry fire gun if possible because its not good for the firing pin. It was then my turn to be impressed.

When it came time to leave I put the weapon back in my holster attached it to my hip and went to leave discreetly by the back door the owner than said "no, no, no, go that way and had me leave open carryingthrough his crowded store. Now I am not saying that they are pro-open carry, it could be that they just have known and trusted me for years, but I feel that it was at least a step in the right direction and a good chance to inform those who don't know. Especially when someone is from a foreign country, I find that often times they are more open minded to the idea of American Freedoms, after all that is why many move here.

just_a_car

imported post

An outstanding educational experience overall. Good for all parties involved. I'm glad to have liberty-minded folk like that coming to our country and our state.

Nitrox314

imported post

I met this family a few times. As a kid I used to stop in the AM/PM all the time on my way to wait for the shuttle down to Marysville. They were always really nice. Better management than most the places I have been. Glad to hear he's gun savy as well. Good Post

jbone

imported post

Love it!Outstanding!

Edit for spelling, only wrote three words and misspelled one.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Gene Beasley wrote:
I'm still trying to figure out how "gun" and "dog" can get mixed up...

Maybe your bun, or your son, or you nun. But dog?
Try saying it with a very heavy Indian accent.....lol....I don't know either, but thats what happened.He has a great sense of humor though and laughed pretty good about the mix up.

They are having me do more stuff this weekend and yesterday I brought one of the open carry pamphlets in to show them, and my friendglanced atit and gave it to another one of the owners son, who wasn't invoved in the previous conversations. He glanced at it, then started asking me questions about carrying and puchasing and I answered to the best of my ability. He is really interested and wants to buy some rifles and a handgun before the current government decides to institute any more bans. He didn't realize many of his rights, and we decided that we'll go to one of the local gun stores to at least look at what they have. He was asking about what type of guns hecan buy and how long it takes to be able to pick them up. Another freind of theirs that was helping us work also became interested in the discussion and stated he wouldn't mind getting something that they could keep behind the counter because times were going to get harder. The son then asked if he can keep the pamphlet and I told him of course. So I think its a trip to the gun store this week .....I'll never complain about that even if I can't afford to get anything.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Right me and the one son talked more yesterday and we are going to the gun shop soon...he really wants to get something before they get banned.

They also are having debates about wether to have one behind the counter some of the employees are against it said they wouldn't want to hurt anyone. I said me either but in a situation that warrants it I would rather not be me getting hurt or killed.