• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Utah Non-resident Permit

TFred

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
I doubt it will go far.

The state of Utah relies heavily on its ability to get income from the permits.
I sure hope they keep it. If you go read the thread on the Utah forum, there is some interesting info...

They say that the program is "self funded", meaning it doesn't cost, but it is not a significant source of revenue either, and this makes sense, in the grand scheme of things, even thousands of permits at $65 each isn't really much more than a drop in the bucket of an entire state's budget.

Also, the governor is in favor of eliminating the program. If you read the bio on the legislator who introduced the bill, it is apparent that he is a typical liberal anti-gun type. Hopefully there are enough common sense folks in Utah to beat this back.

TFred

Sleepless

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
I doubt it will go far.

The state of Utah relies heavily on its ability to get income from the permits.

Don't be so sure ProShooter.

They had a goldmine of Canadians who were paying to have a Utah CCW so that they could conceal-carry while on vacation in the US but Utah decided that they didn't need the money and cut off us Canadians at the knees, so it can definetly happen that they decide to go with Utah residents only.

I think most of the money that Utah DPS got from their CCW permits came from Canada but don't quote me on that.

We are still hoping that Utah DPS will change their minds and allow legally licenced (Yep we have to be licenced, apply for transportation forms and all that crap here in Canada) firearm owners from Canada toapply for a Utah CCW.