Thread: Is this sign unlawful?

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Took a picture of this sign today at Chatfield State Park while doing some fishing. Colorado State Park Regs. http://parks.state.co.us/NR/rdonlyres/2AA461D8-97D6-491E-9FF3-0A548F6E1FE9/0/2008LandWaterRegulations.pdf say that it is illegal to possess firearms in a manner that violates Title 18 or other law. Since OC is legal via Title 18, isn't this sign bogus?

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

That sign is incorrect. Concealed carry with a permit or open carry with/without a permit is legal

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I made some calls and finally got to talk to someone in the law enforcement division for the Colorado State Parks. He said that he reads the law the same way I do, ie OC is legal and the sign is wrong. Supposedly he will take this to the head of LE for the parks and if necessary get a ruling from the state AG. Assuming all goes well, he said they'd change the signs. We'll see...

Post imported post

Regarding concealed carry, the sign is contradicted by the State Parks' own rules brochure:

From page 11 of http://parks.state.co.us/NR/rdonlyre...egulations.pdf

"#106
    a. It shall be unlawful:

WEAPONS, FIREARMS AND FIREWORKS

1. To possess, carry, or discharge explosives, firearms and/or other weapons on parks and outdoor recreation lands or waters in any manner that violates Title 18, C.R.S., or any other applicable law. The lawful carry of concealed handguns by persons in possession of a valid concealed handgun permit, together with valid photo identification, is permitted."

Also I agree that open carry does not violate Title 18.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

A dirty trick some of these bureaucracies are using is to post the unenforceable sign just because it is not against the law to post a non-enforceable sign.

Post imported post

centsi wrote:
    I made some calls and finally got to talk to someone in the law enforcement division for the Colorado State Parks. He said that he reads the law the same way I do, ie OC is legal and the sign is wrong. Supposedly he will take this to the head of LE for the parks and if necessary get a ruling from the state AG. Assuming all goes well, he said they'd change the signs. We'll see...
    Hey centsi..Thanks for the phone calls. Every little bit helps, and that could be more than just a little. Making new signs will take a long time, but LE boots in the park should take notice pretty quickly. Highfives!

Post imported post

Count wrote:
    A dirty trick some of these bureaucracies are using is to post the unenforceable sign just because it is not against the law to post a non-enforceable sign.
    Well, sometimes it's just an oversight, as an old sign in Garden of the Gods was left up after the state took full preemption. The sign, as others noted, is not lawful and can be ignored.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Just spoke with Rick Storm, Chief of Law Enforcement for Colorado State Parks. He agreed that the sign is invalid. Apparently each park manager regulates the signage within their park, but he offered to call the manager and inform them. If anyone else encounters a CO state park with a sign prohibiting firearms, know that there is NO prohibition outside of the criminal statues of Title 18. That sign should be reported to the park manager as it is invalid.