• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is this sign unlawful?

Count

Founder's Club Member
imported post

That sign is incorrect. Concealed carry with a permit or open carry with/without a permit is legal

centsi

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I made some calls and finally got to talk to someone in the law enforcement division for the Colorado State Parks. He said that he reads the law the same way I do, ie OC is legal and the sign is wrong. Supposedly he will take this to the head of LE for the parks and if necessary get a ruling from the state AG. Assuming all goes well, he said they'd change the signs. We'll see...

Anubis

imported post

Regarding concealed carry, the sign is contradicted by the State Parks' own rules brochure:

From page 11 of http://parks.state.co.us/NR/rdonlyres/2AA461D8-97D6-491E-9FF3-0A548F6E1FE9/0/2008LandWaterRegulations.pdf

[align=left]"#106
a. It shall be unlawful:[/align]

[align=left]WEAPONS, FIREARMS AND FIREWORKS[/align]

[align=left]1. To possess, carry, or discharge explosives, firearms and/or other weapons on parks and outdoor recreation lands or waters in any manner that violates Title 18, C.R.S., or any other applicable law. The lawful carry of concealed handguns by persons in possession of a valid concealed handgun permit, together with valid photo identification, is permitted."[/align]

[align=left]Also I agree that open carry does not violate Title 18.[/align]

Count

Founder's Club Member
imported post

A dirty trick some of these bureaucracies are using is to post the unenforceable sign just because it is not against the law to post a non-enforceable sign.

ecgoin

imported post

centsi wrote:
I made some calls and finally got to talk to someone in the law enforcement division for the Colorado State Parks. He said that he reads the law the same way I do, ie OC is legal and the sign is wrong. Supposedly he will take this to the head of LE for the parks and if necessary get a ruling from the state AG. Assuming all goes well, he said they'd change the signs. We'll see...
Hey centsi..Thanks for the phone calls. Every little bit helps, and that could be more than just a little. Making new signs will take a long time, but LE boots in the park should take notice pretty quickly. Highfives!

Gunslinger

imported post

Count wrote:
A dirty trick some of these bureaucracies are using is to post the unenforceable sign just because it is not against the law to post a non-enforceable sign.
Well, sometimes it's just an oversight, as an old sign in Garden of the Gods was left up after the state took full preemption. The sign, as others noted, is not lawful and can be ignored.

centsi

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Just spoke with Rick Storm, Chief of Law Enforcement for Colorado State Parks. He agreed that the sign is invalid. Apparently each park manager regulates the signage within their park, but he offered to call the manager and inform them. If anyone else encounters a CO state park with a sign prohibiting firearms, know that there is NO prohibition outside of the criminal statues of Title 18. That sign should be reported to the park manager as it is invalid.