• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pistol Permit Process

robo44

imported post

Ok so I submit my application on 12/2. I hear back today from the PD (exactly 7 weeks and 2 days later) that they received the prints back from the FBI and they could not read them due to them being "smudged". What a dissappointing phonecall. I have to go back tomorrow to get reprinted:X. I'll ask tomorrow but what do you guys think... does the clock start over? Another 7 week wait? What an absolute bummer. Has anyone experienced this problem?

uskrusader

imported post

That really sucks, I never heard of that happening....but I'm not surprised.

But don't get discouraged! Keep on it! Its important, we need to expand our ranks as much as we can to fight the recently emboldened gun-haters.

Just don't let em screw it up twice. I wish you the best.

Keep us posted

Molon Labe!

robo44

imported post

uskrusader wrote:
That really sucks, I never heard of that happening....but I'm not surprised.

But don't get discouraged! Keep on it! Its important, we need to expand our ranks as much as we can to fight the recently emboldened gun-haters.

Just don't let em screw it up twice. I wish you the best.

Keep us posted

Molon Labe!
Thank you for the encouragement! I will be back at the PD at 2:30 tomorrow to get them redone. I just retired from the USMC after 20+ years and 2 tours in Iraq and 2 in Afghanistan. I have done my full measure for my country and now all I ask is for a speedy permit process. I don't want to be treated special, it is just really frustrating

GoldCoaster

imported post

What you ought to say is "Why can't I get a permit NOW, since you've already done the online background check on me. If the FBI turns up a hit on my fingerprints which is highly unlikely - you know where I live and can come and get the permits back"

In fact that's the way the permitting process OUGHT to work. Let the FBI process fingerprints, but give out the permit barring any reason currently in the system for them not to issue. In the unlikely event that a law-abiding permitee has a hit in the FBI computer then the permit can be revoked until such time as the issue is sorted out. Most people know if they've ever been in trouble before and if you've ever been printed for other reasons, school bus driver, working in a hospital, green card, etc you already know your past is clean or the JBT's would have kicked your door down already.

robo44

imported post

GoldCoaster wrote:
What you ought to say is "Why can't I get a permit NOW, since you've already done the online background check on me. If the FBI turns up a hit on my fingerprints which is highly unlikely - you know where I live and can come and get the permits back"

In fact that's the way the permitting process OUGHT to work. Let the FBI process fingerprints, but give out the permit barring any reason currently in the system for them not to issue. In the unlikely event that a law-abiding permitee has a hit in the FBI computer then the permit can be revoked until such time as the issue is sorted out. Most people know if they've ever been in trouble before and if you've ever been printed for other reasons, school bus driver, working in a hospital, green card, etc you already know your past is clean or the JBT's would have kicked your door down already.
I agree. The other thing I don't understand is why they do them hardcopy. The officer that did mine the first time said if your arrested they print you electronically and they receive all the info they need back from the FBI in 2 minutes, yet for a pistol permit they process it the old way. I wonder if they slow it down on purpose.

carracer

imported post

When I recieved my Utah Non Resident permit there was a letter with it stating that it was issued contingent on the FBI prints coming back with no hits and would be revoked if that happened. Took about 2 months to recieve it from date of application.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I'm not sure why no one has suggested he consult the statutory requirements.

Does CT law require him to submit multiple sets of prints?

Is it "on him" if the agency to whom he submits the prints does not exercise due care by sending them to another agency that damages them?

Here in VA, we'd give a hollow laugh and say, "Well, I or my attorney will come down to your office to pick up my permit on the last day of the statutorily-allowed processing period. If you don't have it, we'll see you in court."

What does the law say in CT?

littlejohn411

imported post

New member here and don't want to hijack this thread,would just like to throw out how long it took my wife and I to get our permits.

Get this, My wife waited 6 months and I waited 5 months.

This was back in 2007 and we are in Bristol.