• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NY Gets a Pro-Gun Senator - Gillbrand is replacing Clinton

yankees98a

imported post

The executive director of New Yorkers Against Gun Violence is trying to stop Rep. Kirsten Gillibrand, D-Hudson, from succeeding Hillary Rodham Clinton as New York's junior senator.
With Clinton's confirmation as secretary of state Wednesday and subsequent resignation from the Senate, Gov. David Paterson is expected to appoint someone soon to serve until a special election in 2010.
Gillibrand, 42, a former securities attorney who represents the 20th Congressional District, is among more than a dozen people interviewed by the governor.
However, Gillibrand, a strong supporter of Second Amendment rights, is still on the radar screen, and that worries Jackie Hilly, NYAGV's executive director.
``I don't think she represents most New Yorkers on gun-control issues,'' Hilly said Wednesday.
Gillibrand, a Democrat who easily won a second term last year, has received an ``A'' rating from the National Rifle Association, which opposes many gun-control measures. Hilly said the rating shows Gillibrand is out of step with most New Yorkers.

GLENGLOCKER

imported post

Being born and raised in Red Hook NY I'm glad to see this. She's better on a lot of issues then most people that ran for the GOP nomination last year including McCain.

redlegagent

imported post

Before we all start jumping around the campfire, we might want to take a breath. This woman comes from a large GOP area and is known as "self promoting" Patterson is going to face challenges from the far left for re-election and needs to appeal to the centrist base. She is only going to be there for 1 year and then will have to compete across a largely democratic state. To win, she'll need the backing of the DNC which means she'll have to support some of their issues. She was backed by Sen. Schumer - who hates guns??? Dems probably aren't going to go after major gun legislation this year with economy in the tank so her vote won't matter much. People change positions, who's to say she won't now that she moving up to the big leagues. Anything could happen. :question:

Evil Ernie

imported post

I saw on FNC that McCarthy has her ole granny panties in a total bunch and may plan to run against her in the next election.

This is a rather unusual choice tho. I mean its great that she's pro 2A, but with all the crap the DNC has tried (and succeeded) I find myself waiting for the other shoe to drop.

redlegagent

imported post

Yeah Jim I know, but some politicians actually stick to what they believe in rather than flip-flop. Like Ernie pointed out - when is the other shoe going to drop?? For Schumer to endorse her, I'd wager - while she may not vote against guns, who's to say she may not call in sick the day of the vote. Something doesn't smell right here and it is after all New York. :p

James

imported post

Lets pray that Senator Gillibrand, when election time comes around, doesnt change her positions just to get the downstate liberal vote. We all know how they feel about guns.

redlegagent

imported post

"Please believe me when I say this: It is my opinion that the people who are "anti-gun" are a small minority in New York City, or in any locale for that matter." - is this like saying - "I don't know how he got elected, no one I know voted for him"

"So your comment about "We all know how they feels about guns." does not really help anybody." - it was a general statement and regrettably true.

We are all glad that you choose to support gun rights and be an "ambassador" of goodwill so to speak. I don't think James' statement was intended to be a slam rather a vague way of describing what is factually true. I've lived in upstate NY for 22 years and I can tell you that in election after election, antigunners like schumer are reelected due to a huge influx of votes from the city. That's not to say that all of NYC supports them but I'd wager you probably fall into maybe 10% catagory. I don't like the laws here in NYS but I am a realist. Doesn't matter if only a handful of people support gun legislation, they control Albany and pull big support from the city so that's where it counts. I agree we need to work together but lets not become overly sensitive to comments that are both discouraging and true. I stand by my previous statement about the new senator, she may support gun rights but it's yet to be seen if she'll exercise that belief or bow to DNC politics to hold what she's got. ;)

James

imported post

nyc-paramedic, Please accept my apology, I didnt mean everyone in downstate NY. I would assume there are people who care about their gun rights. But I think you have to admit, the majority of voters vote anti gun. That is what I am refering to. I am hoping just to gain votes the new Senator doesnt change her views to fit in with the anti gun folks.

James

imported post

NY Post.

Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand says there's no contradiction between her opposition to last year's $700 billion financial-rescue plan and her full-throated support for the even-larger stimulus bill now heading through Congress.

Those are "two entirely different issues," New York's newly minted Democratic senator told reporters yesterday.

Certainly they are.

But Gillibrand's defense of the pork-loaded package - laid out yesterday at a meeting of the Association for a Better New York - would stand on firmer ground if she wasn't spending her aborning Senate career flip-flopping on nearly everything else.

Indeed, Gillibrand, formerly a single-term centrist congresswoman from a Republican-leaning Upstate district, is running as fast as possible from every position that used to separate her from the state's Democratic elite:

* On immigration, she'd been a vocal opponent of "any proposal" that would have given amnesty to illegal aliens - until a group of Hispanic Dems threatened to torpedo her re-election hopes. Now she conveniently backs a "path to citizenship" for illegals.

* The same goes for gay marriage, which she campaigned against in 2006 but now says she supports.

* Meanwhile, though she continues to insist she supports "hunters' rights," Gillibrand - formerly an aggressive Second Amendment supporter - apologized yesterday for not being "a leader" in fighting gun violence.

Granted, almost all politicians who assume a higher office find a need to genuflect toward the convictions of their new constituents.

And she is particularly driven by a need to run for her new seat in 2010, and again two years later.

Still, Gillibrand's metamorphosis has been so swift, and so effortless, that it's necessary to wonder whether she holds any convictions at all.

Her flexibility, to be sure, is not at all unique among New York pols.

But those New Yorkers now getting their first good look at their new senator are entitled to wonder whether they can believe a word she says.

Will the real Kirsten Gillibrand please stand up?

redlegagent

imported post

"NRA Poster Woman Senator Rethinking Pro-Gun Stance
Gillibrand Meets With Parents Of Slain 17-Year-Old, Says She's Ready To Meet With Bloomberg Over Gun Violence

kramer.jpg
Reporting
Marcia Kramer BROOKLYN (CBS) ―

kirstengillibrand.jpg
Click to enlarge
Rep. Kristen Gillibrand, D-Greenport, was appointed to fill the next two years of the New York U.S. Senate seat vacated by Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton.

Related Stories
Senator Kirsten Gillibrand has always defended the right of people to have guns but on Monday she was confronted by two people who know only too well the heartache of losing a loved one to gun violence. It's forcing her to rethink her pro-gun stance.

Alberto Yard and Jennifer Pryear stood outside the East Flatbush school where their 17-year-old daughter, Nyasia, was an honor student.

"We don't want our daughter to be forgotten," Yard said. "We don't want her death to be in vain. We want her to be remembered."

"I'm hoping that overall the death of my daughter has a meaning because everyone loved her. I loved her. Her father loved her," Pryear added.

Nyasia was killed by a stray bullet fired by a gang member while she was at a teen dance party at the Elks Plaza in the Bed-Stuy section of Brooklyn.

On Monday her parents and her fellow students at Nazareth Regional High School shared the heartbreak of her death with Sen. Gillibrand. It clearly touched her.

"I care deeply. I am very upset about the horror and the tragedies that so many families experience," Gillibrand said.

Gillibrand has had a 100-percent approval rating from the National Rifle Association and is under pressure to back off. On Monday she said Nyasia's story convinced her to introduce gun trafficking legislation.

"I will be a fighter to make sure we keep these illegal guns off the streets," Gillibrand said.

Gillibrand is so intent on changing her image on gun violence that she's even asking for a meeting with Mayor Michael Bloomberg, one of the leading anti-gun advocates in the nation.

Gillibrand on Monday established two internships in her New York and Washington offices in honor of Nyasia."

What I tell you folks - she's already starting to back pedal. No oneendorsed by Schumer is going to hold the line. She's going to sell us down the river. :cuss:

GLENGLOCKER

imported post

Just saw Hannity. She's also packpeddling on punishing santuary cities. So let's clarify this. She's going to punish us for people who commit crimes with guns, but allow illegals in our country. I had a bad feeling about her when I read on her web site under 2A views and she mentioned hunting several times.

yankees98a

imported post

Gillibrand has no morales

Senator Gillibrand is from an upstate hunting family and receives a 100 percent approval rating from the NRA Spokesman Andrew Arulanandam said “It was too early to discuss whether her approval rating would drop because of her reversal on this issue, adding "the fraternal order of police, the bureau of alcohol, tobacco, firearms and explosives (BATFE) and other law enforcement organizations that represent rank-and-file police officers support efforts to keep trace data out of the hands of politicians like Mayor Bloomberg. Prudent people should listen to law enforcement and not to politicians who have a history of not shooting straight on this issue."

Gillibrand has been criticized for flip flopping on issues as she moves from representing a conservative upstate district to representing big city issues. She has hinted her positions on guns would "evolve" after becoming senator but has not clearly renounced any of her specific positions until now.