Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VT stabbing

Post imported post

I just watched an online newscast of the press conference. There were seven people in the cafe in addition to the victim and murderer. It just amazes me how seven people could all just stand there and not even attempt to save this girl's life. They were just sitting down having coffee and he just stabs and fully decapitates her. It is just sickening how someone could do that. This just brings up a big "what if?" in my head. I can not wait until I am able to obtain my CHP

Post imported post

I don't understand how they could all just sit there and watch. The guy had a knife, not a gun. They all could have just ambushed him and there wouldn't have been much he could do about it.

Did you guys know that when the VT massacre occurred, six of the students inside that building at the time of the shooting had handguns either in their car or in their home (don't know if they had a CWP, but I'd be willing to bet they did if their guns were sitting in their car)? I just found that out tonight. So had they been allowed to carry on campus, I'm sure at least a couple of those students would have been armed inside the building that morning and would have been able to stop Cho before he took 32 lives.

Post imported post

hunter45 wrote:
    I don't understand how they could all just sit there and watch. The guy had a knife, not a gun. They all could have just ambushed him and there wouldn't have been much he could do about it.

Did you guys know that when the VT massacre occurred, six of the students inside that building at the time of the shooting had handguns either in their car or in their home (don't know if they had a CWP, but I'd be willing to bet they did if their guns were sitting in their car)? I just found that out tonight. So had they been allowed to carry on campus, I'm sure at least a couple of those students would have been armed inside the building that morning and would have been able to stop Cho before he took 32 lives.
    People have been taught to be good witnesses and not get involved.

Social conditioning.

Post imported post

certainly not the first time people have stood around and watched others die. I'm sure everyone remembers this happening in Canada. A man was beheaded on a bus.

http://www.newser.com/story/33900/ca...-seatmate.html

Post imported post

We have raised a generation of sheeple. Apologies to the young posters on here. You are the exception to the rule.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

I don't think I could just stand there if I see something like that happening. I may not be able to carry my firearm with me everywhere, but I have my pocket knife with me everywhere and if not that I at least have a pen. If anyone has seen Joe Pesci with a pen, then you know what I'm talking about...

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

You guys must realize that true "sheepdogs" in society are a minority. Most people truly are sheep. Heck, most of my own family are sheep. There is nothing wrong with being a sheep, they just aren't mentally the same as the true sheepdogs.

I highly recommend everyone read On Killing and On Combat, by LTC Dave Grossman. Anyone who routinely carries a firearm needs to read these books, IMHO.

Post imported post

if not that I at least have a pen.
    ...and feet, and hands... but most importantly the will to use them.

Post imported post

hunter45 wrote:
    Cite please.

Post imported post

mpg9999 wrote:
    hunter45 wrote:
    Cite please.
    I'd actually like to see that cited, too.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

SaltH2OHokie wrote:
    mpg9999 wrote:
    hunter45 wrote:
    Did you guys know that when the VT massacre occurred, six of the students inside that building at the time of the shooting had handguns either in their car or in their home (don't know if they had a CWP, but I'd be willing to bet they did if their guns were sitting in their car)?
    Cite please.
    Who could learn that fact, that six present owned guns? That entity will not likely or easily release confirmation of their abuse of privilege and privacy.

Post imported post

SaltH2OHokie wrote:
    mpg9999 wrote:
    hunter45 wrote:
    Cite please.
    He could possibly by extrapolating (guessing) the "percentage of gun owners" and those with chps and applying it to VT

dunno.

Post imported post

One of the off-campus houses here at JMU was robbed at gunpoint last night. That's the third one in the last month or so. And there was also that murder that happened in the off campus housing about a month ago. You can bet that I'll have my guns in my house when I live off campus next fall.

Post imported post

Why didn't they just put up their "Gun Free Zone" signs?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0vyxgJLJVA

The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post imported post

mpg9999 wrote:
    hunter45 wrote:
    Cite please.
    Judge Pilanitono (sp?) on Fox News said this. I'll try to find the video.

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote: We do duplicate threads a bunch, but in defense of the OP of this thread the other thread was not at all descriptive. Lots of folks should brush up on the forum rules, but for those that start a new thread it's my advice that they take note to read carefully the part about making the thread descriptive.
    "These are the shock troops (opencarry.org) of the gun lobby. And, they are not going away."
    Ceasefire NJ Director Brian Miller, NJ.com, August 20, 2009

Post imported post

Post imported post

hunter45 wrote: I would bet he's either mistaken or he just made it up.

Post imported post

mpg9999 wrote:
    hunter45 wrote: I would bet he's either mistaken or he just made it up.
    Well I know of at least one student who was in the building then that would have been armed if VT allowed CC on campus. There's a very good chance that there were at least five others that had guns in their car/home at the time.

Some where in Rockbridge County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
    I just watched an online newscast of the press conference. There were seven people in the cafe in addition to the victim and murderer. It just amazes me how seven people could all just stand there and not even attempt to save this girl's life. They were just sitting down having coffee and he just stabs and fully decapitates her. It is just sickening how someone could do that. This just brings up a big "what if?" in my head. I can not wait until I am able to obtain my CHP
    Lots of things in that cafe could have been improvised weapons to stop what was happening to that poor girl.

But the worst outrage is being hamstrung by VaTech admin and not allowed to protect ones self. (witha CHP). I'm going to return to college for more training. I noticed in the Community College's weapons policy that I can't carry on campus, but I can lock my gun up in the car. Yeah, that does me a lot of good.

Some where in Rockbridge County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

eyesopened wrote:
    I don't think I could just stand there if I see something like that happening. I may not be able to carry my firearm with me everywhere, but I have my pocket knife with me everywhere and if not that I at least have a pen. If anyone has seen Joe Pesci with a pen, then you know what I'm talking about...
    Yeah, I am sure I would have tried to help her. I have a cane. Imagine the damage done by an experienced martial artist (even a gimpy one!) on an attacker like that.

Post imported post

I strongly suggest the title be changed. The victim was beheaded. Not only that, at the time of the arrest, the suspect was holding her head in his hand.

Read the affidavit for yourself.

Shock from killing ripples through Tech

Tech officials said the victim and suspect knew each other, and Xin listed Haiyang as an emergency contact. Tech Police Chief Wendell Flinchum said he did not know the extent of their relationship or how long the two students knew each other.

They were sitting at a table having coffee at the Au Bon Pain cafe in the Graduate Life Center when the disturbance began shortly after 7 p.m.

Witnesses told police there was no sign of an argument between the two before the attack, Flinchum said. Seven people -- customers and Au Bon Pain staff -- saw the attack and fled the restaurant. Two people called 911.

Flinchum said, as far as he knows, no one tried to intervene in the attack. He declined to answer questions about whether Haiyang yelled anything before or during the atttack.

Post imported post

I sat my 15 year old down tonight and had a conversation with him about this.

I told him that if he ever stood by and watch someone attack another person without doing something reasonable with in his power to stop, distract or help...don't come home.

We talked about improvised weapons, about how group think works and how failure of one to act may lead none to act.

Amazing. 7 people and nothing done.

Va Techs motto is Ut Prosim....we serve. I am ashamed to say "serve" for what??

Ric
    VT Class of 87

Post imported post

Ric in Richmond wrote:
    I sat my 15 year old down tonight and had a conversation with him about this.

I told him that if he ever stood by and watch someone attack another person without doing something reasonable with in his power to stop, distract or help...don't come home.

We talked about improvised weapons, about how group think works and how failure of one to act may lead none to act.

Amazing. 7 people and nothing done.

Va Techs motto is Ut Prosim....we serve. I am ashamed to say "serve" for what??

Ric
    VT Class of 87
    Good job. You might want to show him this wiki page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bystander_effect

Click on some of the links in the page too. It does a good job describing the psychology of why people don't act. If you are aware of these principles it may help you to avoid them yourself and to give you knowledge on how to get others standing around involved. One of the links specifically mentions calling out to individuals to help instead of making a general call to the whole crowd, etc.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast