• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is anyone going to attend the antithesis to our Lobby Day?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

SaltH2OHokie wrote:
SNIP...but would it be productive to try to be there next Monday to oppose their "advocacy day"?

No. Not unless we got 400-600 people there again.

Remember the pitiful little two or three anti-gunners protesting our rally? What a photo op for them if they put 30 or 40 people in the square and we only had 5-10.

Also, the Delegates and Senators got to see 500 or 600of us on 1/19. Almost asea of orange stickers no matter which way you turned. None could have failed to notice.

Bugging the Delegates and Senatorsagain would just annoy them, I should think.

I strongly suspect the reason they are having a separate day is because we reservedtwo rally time slots or so right after the '08 Lobby Day. That or they suspected they'd be overwhelmed by us and wanted their own day.

Although, it might be fun to attend incognito andask the kids they are sure to bus in to see how many are just doing it for extra-credit or to get a day off from school like last year.

wylde007

imported post

How can they be the "Virginia Center for Public Safety" and advocate limiting the right of a person to defend himself?

It rates right up there with the old standbys of oxymoronism:
Jumbo shrimp
Government intelligence
Liberty tax
Paper money

Etc, etc, etc.

On an unrelated note, I like how there are at least two buildings that you can see from the bell tower that fly ONLY the Virginia flag.

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Since there are a few interested, I'll hang out at the Bank st. capital entrance (the open area beside the stairway) for a few minutes just before 1:00PM if anyone else wants to meet up. I'm not planning on sticking around too long though, as I don't want to pad their numbers. :)

riverrat10k

imported post

Make sure you all wear your orange stickers. Or not. As a previous poster noted, a 2-3 person response may appear weaker (to the press) than no response at all. Does anyone have an idea of their expected turnout yet?

I wonder if I could get a one way ride to DC on their bus while wearing one?

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I agree. I'm not going to "protest," just curious to see how much support they can bring out. My guess is a non-holiday Monday AM won't be too enticing, for both those that have jobs and those that partied all weekend.

riverrat10k

imported post

On the other hand, one very visible person may attract the attention of press. Just speak about "the 500 to 600 we had here last week on lobby day." Or "we had our 600 here last week, no need to get in the MMM's way or cause bad feelings" kinda thing.

Might get quoted, particularly if you are telegenic.

Citizen, What say you?

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I suppose finding a reporter and asking what's going on might be an easy way to get a word or two in.

"I'm passing through on my way to lunch, but was here last week for the VCDL rally where we had 5-600 folks show up." kinda thing.

Neplusultra

imported post

bnkrazy wrote:
That's one reason I'm not too keen on going to something like this. It will be _really_ hard to blend in. :)
Just put one of their stickers on. If you get into a discussion with others and they're spouting off non-sense you could say something like, "Well to be fair, that's not what they believe" and then explain gun rights. Since they will think you are one of them they might even listen a bit :^).

Now I've got the Bond music playing in my head.

Edit: I agree with riverrat's good point, might be an opportunity.

TFred

imported post

Ha ha some of this talk reminds me of those signs from the Protest Warrior guys... :D

"Communism has only killed 100 Million people... Let's give it another chance!"

and

"Criminals for Gun Control: Why should we risk being injured on the job?"

TFred

kle

imported post

hsmith wrote:
What we need is someone who has used a gun in self defense that can wear a sticker a gun SAVED MY LIFE
Put it right on the gun: "This gun SAVED MY LIFE".

Repeater

imported post

SaltH2OHokie wrote:
http://www.stategunlaws.org/pdf/2009-Advocacy-Day-Flyer.pdf

I'm new to the whole "activist" thing, but would it be productive to try to be there next Monday to oppose their "advocacy day"?
The timing is no accident.

Senate Courts of Justice will decide on Marsh's Gunshow "loophole" bill that same morning.

Senate Courts of Justice Docket

Senate Committee on Courts of Justice
Chairman: Henry L. Marsh III
Clerk: Angi Murphy
Staff: J. French, M. Felch, K. Stokes
Date of Meeting: January 26, 2009
Time and Place: January 26, 2009 9:00 AM, Senate Room A

S.B. 1257
Patron: Marsh
Transfer of firearms; criminal records check; penalties. Adds a definition of "firearms show vendor" and requires that a criminal history record information check be performed on the prospective transferee before the vendor may transfer firearms at a gun show. Under current law, only licensed dealers must obtain such a check. The bill also adds a definition of "promoter" and requires that the promoter of a gun show provide vendors with access to licensed dealers who will conduct the criminal background check.

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I will be there if work decides they don't need me.

I don't want to engage with antis. I'll wear an orange sticker if somebody has one.