• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is anyone going to attend the antithesis to our Lobby Day?

Neplusultra

imported post

Repeater wrote:
SaltH2OHokie wrote:
http://www.stategunlaws.org/pdf/2009-Advocacy-Day-Flyer.pdf

I'm new to the whole "activist" thing, but would it be productive to try to be there next Monday to oppose their "advocacy day"?
The timing is no accident.

Senate Courts of Justice will decide on Marsh's Gunshow "loophole" bill that same morning.

Senate Courts of Justice Docket

Senate Committee on Courts of Justice
Chairman: Henry L. Marsh III
Clerk: Angi Murphy
Staff: J. French, M. Felch, K. Stokes
Date of Meeting: January 26, 2009
Time and Place: January 26, 2009 9:00 AM, Senate Room A

S.B. 1257
Patron: Marsh
Transfer of firearms; criminal records check; penalties. Adds a definition of "firearms show vendor" and requires that a criminal history record information check be performed on the prospective transferee before the vendor may transfer firearms at a gun show. Under current law, only licensed dealers must obtain such a check. The bill also adds a definition of "promoter" and requires that the promoter of a gun show provide vendors with access to licensed dealers who will conduct the criminal background check.
Gee, that would be easy to get around. I bet the promoter would be willing to do so too. All they would have to do is set up a few tables for free available for use by anyone not a licensed dealer and has a gun to sell. The promoter would lose a little money but it sure would be a stick in the eye of the antis. Can't say they're a "vendor" if they haven't paid a fee for a table.

TFred

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
Repeater wrote:
SaltH2OHokie wrote:
http://www.stategunlaws.org/pdf/2009-Advocacy-Day-Flyer.pdf

I'm new to the whole "activist" thing, but would it be productive to try to be there next Monday to oppose their "advocacy day"?
The timing is no accident.

Senate Courts of Justice will decide on Marsh's Gunshow "loophole" bill that same morning.

Senate Courts of Justice Docket

Senate Committee on Courts of Justice
Chairman: Henry L. Marsh III
Clerk: Angi Murphy
Staff: J. French, M. Felch, K. Stokes
Date of Meeting: January 26, 2009
Time and Place: January 26, 2009 9:00 AM, Senate Room A

S.B. 1257
Patron: Marsh
Transfer of firearms; criminal records check; penalties. Adds a definition of "firearms show vendor" and requires that a criminal history record information check be performed on the prospective transferee before the vendor may transfer firearms at a gun show. Under current law, only licensed dealers must obtain such a check. The bill also adds a definition of "promoter" and requires that the promoter of a gun show provide vendors with access to licensed dealers who will conduct the criminal background check.
Gee, that would be easy to get around. I bet the promoter would be willing to do so too. All they would have to do is set up a few tables for free available for use by anyone not a licensed dealer and has a gun to sell. The promoter would lose a little money but it sure would be a stick in the eye of the antis. Can't say they're a "vendor" if they haven't paid a fee for a table.
You missed the first sentence of the summary, "adds definition of 'firearms show vendor'", which is:

"Firearms show vendor" means any person not licensed as a Virginia dealer pursuant to 18 U.S.C. § 921 et seq. who exhibits, sells, offers for sale, transfers, or exchanges any firearm at a firearms show, regardless of whether the person arranges with a firearms show promoter for a fixed location from which to exhibit, sell, offer for sale, transfer, or exchange any firearm.

See http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?091+ful+SB1257

TFred

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

TFred wrote:
SNIP "Firearms show vendor" means any person not licensed as a Virginia dealer pursuant to 18 U.S.C. § 921 et seq. who exhibits, sells, offers for sale, transfers, or exchanges any firearm at a firearms show, regardless of whether the person arranges with a firearms show promoter for a fixed location from which to exhibit, sell, offer for sale, transfer, or exchange any firearm.

Christ, that would even get you if you only handed out a flyer advertising to sell your gun in a transaction later outside the gunshow, say at home.

"For sale: S&W Model 686. Good condition. Hogue grips. Trigger job. Call 555-2222."

TFred

imported post

Citizen wrote:
TFred wrote:
SNIP "Firearms show vendor" means any person not licensed as a Virginia dealer pursuant to 18 U.S.C. § 921 et seq. who exhibits, sells, offers for sale, transfers, or exchanges any firearm at a firearms show, regardless of whether the person arranges with a firearms show promoter for a fixed location from which to exhibit, sell, offer for sale, transfer, or exchange any firearm.

Christ, that would even get you if you only handed out a flyer advertising to sell your gun in a transaction later outside the gunshow, say at home.

"For sale: S&W Model 686. Good condition. Hogue grips. Trigger job. Call 555-2222."
Well, we've known all along that is what the true motive is...

TFred

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

TFred wrote:
Citizen wrote:
TFred wrote:

Well, we've known all along that is what the true motive is...

TFred
Good point. I didn't make the connection. Thank you.

Neplusultra

imported post

TFred wrote:
You missed the first sentence of the summary, "adds definition of 'firearms show vendor'", which is:
Yeah, I caught that right as I was hitting send but was too lazy to delete it. Wanted to see if some eagle eye would catch it I guess :^).

TFred

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
Didn't someone official on lobby day say the gun show bill was dead?
Delegate Morgan Griffith said it, but it was more of a statement of his view of the circumstances, than of a factual, official status of the bill.

Sort of like saying an 0-8 NFL team has no chance to win the Super Bowl... ;)

His point was that without the endorsement of the Crime Commission, there would not be enough support for a bill to pass this year.

TFred

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I can't make it to Richmond on Monday.

But I have this fantasy of just being on the fringe of the crowd, then trying to enter the GAB after their rally.

Among them, setting off the detector, and flashing my permit.........

Oh, well ... fantasy will remain such.

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

When I walked up at 1:00, there were 4 buses parked on Bank St. so I thought there was going to be a large group. I was there from about 1:00 to 1:15 and they had about 25 people, no more than 30 tops. There was only one police officer stationed about 25yds away, and 3 capital police about 50yds away, not really paying attention. I didn't see any media or reporters when I was there.

I was standing in the crowd for about 5 minutes. One of the antis (the guy) from last week was there speaking. I was about to head out when I saw someone OCing about 5yds back from the group, so I went over, we talked quietly for a minute (they had no PA system so it was hard to hear the speakers anyway) and got a pic.

The group:
462266773_B7mFC-M.jpg

T Dubya:
462266790_EJZNr-M.jpg

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

bnkrazy wrote:
When I walked up at 1:00, there were 4 buses parked on Bank St. so I thought there was going to be a large group. I was there from about 1:00 to 1:15 and they had about 25 people, no more than 30 tops. There was only one police officer stationed about 25yds away, and 3 capital police about 50yds away, not really paying attention. I didn't see any media or reporters when I was there.

I was standing in the crowd for about 5 minutes. One of the antis (the guy) from last week was there speaking. I was about to head out when I saw someone OCing about 5yds back from the group, so I went over, we talked quietly for a minute (they had no PA system so it was hard to hear the speakers anyway) and got a pic.

The group:
462266773_B7mFC-M.jpg

T Dubya:
462266790_EJZNr-M.jpg
It was pretty much a non event. I never did find the MARCH.
Scared me for a minute though, actually twice. The first time I looked at the line and near had a heart attack. That turned out to be the PTA.

Then I went looking for the march and saw this. I couldn't believe it but it turned out to be the clean water folks. It went on for 6 blocks.
IMG_2184-640x480.jpg

This lady saw my "Guns Save Lives" sticker and yelled "Darn Right they do, the fellow behind her gave me the thumbs up.
IMG_2222-640x480.jpg

IMG_2205-640x480-640x480.jpg

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

They were speaking too softly couldn't hear the jibberish.

A lady from the group asked me if i was Capitol Police. I said "No, I'm a citizen". She then said "You're not supposed to be here". She went to fetch Capitol Police. It started out with 3 police, then 3 more showed up with a supervisor. I could tell the police were catching hell from the lady because they (police) looked like they were not concerned with me a bit.

The anti's were fuming mad that I was there open carrying. People kept coming over to talk to me and take my picture I just smiled. One lady asked me if I had a card I told her I was just a fireman and a citizen I had no cards.

Someone came over with a recorder and they asked if they could interview me. I'm sure it was an anti. I told her that I was there earlier that day with the clean water rally and I just decided to stick around and visit my reps and look at some art and enjoy being at the capitol.

Oh, and I open carried when the governor spoke about 20 yards away for the clean water rally. Capitol Police checked my id and left me alone. They were very polite and professional.

wylde007

imported post

Very awesome. Thanks for being visible and respectful.

Just being there probably made a bigger impression than the 25-30 attending the potential-victim's rally.

:D

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

wylde007 wrote:
DonTreadOnMe wrote: No, no, wait! I got it, they couldn't find any parking!

;)
That ain't funny. The only thing I could find this morning was a 2 hour space. Between running between Senate A and B and. going upstairs tryng to push a bill off the table, running to change parking spots and taking pictures, I got a workout.:(

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

67GT390FB wrote:
That'll just get ya in better shape to chase all those dog hunters next season.

joe
Actually got to talk to Bob for a few minutes. I said hello and he looked at me with the "Who the hell are you and what do you want", look...then he recognized me.

He had his plate full today. I didn't realize the Waterman hearings were today. I need to update my calendar.

johnfenter

imported post

"Oh, and I open carried when the governor spoke about 20 yards away for the clean water rally. Capitol Police checked my id and left me alone. They were very polite and professional."

What ID? Your "open carry permit"?! Your standing-around-the-Capitol license?! While I agree that the Capitol Police tend to be polite and professional, there is no requirement to carry ID when open carrying, let alone show it. Unless you are in a Federal Gun Free School Zone, which I think I recall them creating there last year? Anyone remember that?

Not criticizing your actions; I'm just tired of the reflexive "I need to see your ID" drill...