• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What About OC'ing in City Parks

LanceOregon

imported post

Orygunner recently wrote about his experience carrying in County Parks here in Lane County.

But what about city parks in big cities like Eugene and Springfield? Do you think that there would be any problem carrying in any of them?

Or should one expect for the police to show up and to be questioned by them?

Mutoman

imported post

The more people you are around when carrying, the more likely you will run into someone who disagrees with seeing your handgun. If you are not prepared to deal with that situation, I would suggest not doing it, if you are, go for it.

LanceOregon

imported post

Cremator75 wrote:
LanceOregon wrote:
But what about city parks in big cities like Eugene and Springfield?
I am confused by this sentence. Big cities, Eugene and Springfield? :lol:

Well, they are both big by Oregon standards.

Eugene is the second biggest city in the state, and Springfield is the ninth largest.

We live in a rather small state, you know.

How would you feel if you lived in a city like Drain or Boring?? :D

adamsesq

imported post

The nice thing about preemption is that it applies equally to those "big" cities as it does to Drain and Boring. The only thing to watch out for is that the bigger cities are more likely to have instituted a loaded weapons ban. Be sure of the local rules wherever you go - or have your CHL so it doesn't matter.

-adamsesq

Orygunner

imported post

I can tell you for certain that Springfield has a ban on loaded firearms in all public parks, as they are allowed to do under ORS 166.173.
http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/166.html

Here is the page for Springfield City Code, lookup 5.286
http://www.qcode.us/codes/springfield/

Of course, as also stated in ORS 166.173, with a CHL you are exempt from any such restrictions.

I am not able to find any such restriction for the city of Eugene. Eugene City Code:
http://www.eugene-or.gov/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_0_5848_319_0_43/http%3B/cesrv501%3B80/lf7citycode/Home.aspx

There's about 6-7 other cities that ban firearms in some or all public places, too. I believe Bend has a smiliar statute as Springfield concerning no loaded firearms in city parks. If I remember right, Salem, Independence, Portland, and some Portland suburbs fill out the rest of the list of Oregon cities.

In my opinion, it's best to just get a CHL, then you only have to avoid federal buildings and some courthouses while OCing. However, I personally feel that these restrictions are contrary to our State Constitution, Article 1 Section 27, which is SUPPOSED to guarantee and protect our right to bear arms for the defense of ourselves and the state.

...Orygunner...

LanceOregon

imported post

Orygunner wrote:
In my opinion, it's best to just get a CHL, then you only have to avoid federal buildings and some courthouses while OCing.
...Orygunner...

That does indeed sound like the wisest course. For if police should be summoned, it would seem to me that having an Oregon CHL would be a way for you to also immediately identify yourself as a honest, law-abiding citizen.

Has anyone obtained a CHL here in Lane County recently? About how long does the process typically take?

Glockguy

imported post

I dunno How it is in Lane County... But here in Linn Its very easy... I actually had a
warrent out when I applied for mine ( I just didnt pay a court on a fine :banghead:) But then the Sheriff called me and told me to take care of it and he'd put it in the mail that day... took me about a month to get it... But I hear lane County's really easy to.. .

Orygunner

imported post

LanceOregon wrote:
Orygunner wrote:
In my opinion, it's best to just get a CHL, then you only have to avoid federal buildings and some courthouses while OCing.
...Orygunner...

That does indeed sound like the wisest course. For if police should be summoned, it would seem to me that having an Oregon CHL would be a way for you to also immediately identify yourself as a honest, law-abiding citizen.

Has anyone obtained a CHL here in Lane County recently? About how long does the process typically take?

I got mine last July in Lane County, my wife & Father-In-Law got theirs about 5 months ago. Mine only took about 30 days, theirs took 42 days.

It's just as easy here as just about anywhere else in Oregon, I supposed. They can't turn you down if you meet all requirements.

...Orygunner...

Orygunner

imported post

If they can find no reason to deny you within 45 days, I believe they MUST issue you a CHL.

As an interesting side note, in Lane County the CHL application form says that if you served in the Military, you must provide a copy of your discharge papers to prove you are not dishonorably discharged (166.291 (1)(n) Dishonorable Discharge canbe used to deny you your CHL). This is inconsistent with the sample form in ORS 166.291(4).

I asked them at the Lane County Sheriff's office about it, and they said that they request that on the form because they have absolutely no access to military records, and even if someone WAS dishonorably discharged, they can't prove it.

However, the county has NO AUTHORITY to demand you provide a copy of your discharge papers. The burden of proof is on the county, and they can't deny you your CHL for not providing anything not required in the ORS. I suppose they could take the full 45 days, but even then they MUST issue you the CHL unless they have a legal reason listed in ORS 166.291to deny you.

...Note, I am NOT a Lawyer (yeah, yeah, yeah :) )...
...Orygunner...