• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Senator From New York a Friend to Gun Owners?

LiveFreeOrDie

Opt-Out Members
imported post

CNN is reporting that (anti-gun) Governor Paterson has chosen Democratic Congresswoman Gillibrand as Hillary Clinton's replacement (http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/01/23/clinton.replacement/index.html). He'll make the formal announcement at noon, but if true, this is great news! It's a great omen when Democrats in states like New York, even after the election of Obama, seem to be reaching out to us. I hope Dems are tired of losing on this issue as there are many gun owners who support Democrats' support of other civil liberties, but can't vote for them because of their opposition to the 2nd Amendment's civil liberty.

Here's a press release from December of last year released by Gillibrand (read it, the whole thing. It's good).

http://blogs.timesunion.com/capitol/archives/8907

Today, local Congresswoman Kirsten Gillibrand announced that she received the endorsement of the National Rifle Association. Gillibrand has a 100% voting record with the NRA, and an “A” lifetime rating by the organization. Gillibrand is one of only two New York Democrats on the federal level endorsed by the NRA.

“As a strong supporter of the Second Amendment, it is a privilege to have the endorsement of the NRA and the support of Upstate New York’s gun owners and hunters,” said Gillibrand. “I come from a family of hunters, and preserving this strong Upstate tradition is a priority of mine in Congress. I will continue to oppose legislation that will restrict the rights of responsible gun owners and I will continue to advocate for policies that will keep our rivers, land and air clean, so that future generations can enjoy hunting and wildlife in our region.”

The NRA has more than four million members nationwide. Gillibrand’s district has the most NRA members out of New York’s 29 Congressional Districts.
“Congresswoman Kirsten Gillibrand has earned the endorsement of the NRA’s Political Victory Fund (NRA-PVF) by consistently voting for the rights of law-abiding gun owners and hunters in the 110th Congress. She believes that the Second Amendment is an individual right and she co-signed the congressional amicus brief in support of our individual right to keep and bear arms in the historic Heller case earlier this year. We are pleased to endorse this friend of freedom and fully support her reelection,” said Chris W. Cox, chairman of NRA-PVF and NRA’s chief lobbyist.

During her first term in Congress, Gillibrand sponsored legislation that would open up more federal lands for hunting and fishing. Gillibrand, a Member of the House Agriculture Committee, was able to have this provision included in the new Farm Bill that was signed into law.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Looking at the Gun Owners of America website and their ratings Ms. Gillibrand has a "C" rating from the GOA. Of the 29 representatives for the State of New York all but 2 have a "D" or worse rating, with one "C" (held by Ms. Gillibrand) and one "A".

For a New Yorker in the House of Representatives, she's in a very small crowd when it comes to firearm owner rights according to the GOA.

http://gunowners.org/111hrat.htm