• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Liability after a legal use of deadly force

edwilloby

imported post

I am currently waiting on my CCW permit to arrive. I live in Mississippi which has a rather strange cc/oc law. The law states that a handgun in a holster constitutes CC.

So basically I can carry OC in a holster and be legal if I have a CCW permit (how strange)

Sense I will be cc/oc, I started wondering what would happen if I had to use my pistol to protect myself. What I learned really scared me.

According to the latest CONCEALED CARRY MAGAZINE, it can cost up to $100.000.00 to defend your innocence after a legal shooting.

I don't know about most posters, but I don't have that much money laying around. I started looking for organizations and found The Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network LLC

The organization was started by a Expert Witness in post shoot legal cases who also happens to be a lawyer himself.

It was Marty's dream of starting a organization to help defend armed citizens who are forced to exercise their legal right to defend their self.

Much like the ACLU does when faced with legal situations, it is the goal of The Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network to have a fund available to support their members in defending themselves after a legal shooting situation.

Having funds available, will deter money seekingAtterny's from pursuing frivolous lawsuits in the hope of reaching a quick and easy settlement.

If you are interested in learning more about the Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network, you can go to the web site at http://www.armedcitizensnetwork.org

Ed Willoughby

Ms. Rep ACLDN LLC

r6-rider

imported post

edwilloby wrote:
According to the latest UNCONCEALED CARRY MAGAZINE, it can cost up to $100.000.00 to defend your innocence after a legal shooting.
sure it could... it could cost up to 1,000,000 it all depends on the situation. but the armed citizens league is defiantly a good thing to be a part of, they know good lawyers. the NRA will also refer you to a good attorney if you got into a situation and needed help.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

This is the primary reason why people need to work in their states to get Castle Doctrine laws passed to protect victims who respond with deadly force from prosecution and civil litigation. It's bad enough to be a victim of a crime which results in your having to use deadly force. Why on earth would a state allow its criminal and civil court system to continue the victim's suffering by putting them through this anguish?

edwilloby

imported post

I am more worried abut the frivolous lawsuits. Even if the state law covers you from criminal charges, the civil action could bankrupt you, or force you to Settle to save financial ruin.

I hope to see the legal defense fund grow to a large enough amount of money that the lawyer filing a frivolous lawsuits would see that there are deep pockets who will defend the citizen.

Short of having some type of fund available, you are on you own to defend yourself

Ed