• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cougars in Boulder

Matt from N Bldr

imported post

Since I regard you all as the leading experts on firearms rights, I was hoping I could get some advice on an off topic question regarding fire arm discharge and shooting mountain lions.

I live in North Boulder and as you have probably read, there has been an outbreak of cougar sightings and dog loses. I would like to know what my rights are if there is a mountain lion in my yard. The DOW wants to tag these/this cougar and monitor it, but that does not seem proactive enough, IMHO. Can I blast a couple rounds off towards the ground to scare it? Because other loud clamoring has proven to be ineffective. Can I shoot the mountain lion or how far in his mouth do I or someone in my family need to be before I can legally shoot it?

Due to the over-the-top tree hugger mentality here in Boulder, this problem is only going to get worse before it gets better. 10 deer live in my neighbors yard permanently because it is much safer for them there than in open space or wilderness areas. This is not natural but the culture here is to accept this risk and live in peace with these killing machines.

Obviously if I end up in a very scary, life threatening situation, I will start blasting until I'm empty. However, I would like to know in advance what I am legally allowed because A) I'd rather not be fined, or arrested, and B) I would like to be a responsible gun owner.

Also, what if my dog is in a face-off with a big cat?

I will be happy to check with local LEO, but as you guys have proven many times in the past, this not the best way to get accurate info sometimes....

Thanks

centsi

Campaign Veteran
imported post

http://www.colocode.com/boulder2/chapter5-8.htm

5-8-3 Discharge of Firearms.​
No person shall discharge any projectile from a firearm or gas or mechanically operated gun. For purposes of this section, any person who was the proximate cause of the discharge shall be deemed to have discharged the firearm or gun. It is a violation of this section if the discharge occurs within the jurisdiction of the city, or if the projectile travels over such jurisdiction.
The above is applicable in the City of Boulder. If you are outside city limits there may be lesser or no resrictions on simply firing your weapon, but there surely is on shooting a mountain lion. I'll try to find some more info and get back to you.

centsi

Campaign Veteran
imported post

In regards to shooting a mountain lion:

[align=justify]33-3-106. Excessive damage - permit to take wildlife - harassment by dogs[/align]
(3) Nothing in this section shall make it unlawful to trap, kill, or otherwise dispose of bears, mountain lions, or dogs without a permit in situations when it is necessary to prevent them from inflicting death, damage, or injury to livestock, real property, a motor vehicle, or human life and additionally, in the case of dogs, when it is necessary to prevent them from inflicting death or injury to big game and to small game, birds, and mammals. Any wildlife killed as permitted under this subsection (3) shall remain the property of the state, and such killing shall be reported to the division within five days. The division may bring a civil action against the owner of any dog inflicting death or injury to any big game and to small game, birds, and mammals for the value of each game animal injured or killed. The minimum value of each animal shall be as set forth in section 33-6-110

RockyMtnScotsman

imported post

If you haven't already done so, it certainly would not hurt to have a formal complaint filed with DOW, City of Boulder, etc.. so that IF / WHEN it does become necessary to shoot the cougar you can say "I told you... but you wouldn't listen...".

Probably won't help much... but as I said, couldn't hurt ....

bcbrown2

imported post

Holy cow... There are as many "defenses" to the city of Boulder's weapons statutes as there are statutes and they enumerate the situations in which their statutes run counter to state law! Typical Boulder mentality -- legislate against everything and then come up with every conceivable situation where the statute does not apply. State preemption appears to have wiped out a quarter of Boulder's gun laws.

Call me a simpleton, but make it a crime (which it is) to commit a crime with a gun, to brandish with intent to create fear or intimidation, to use a gun in conjunction with any other criminal enterprise, or carry a concealed weapon without a county-issued permit. Make it illegal to discharge a weapon within city limits unless it's at a range or in defense of life or livelihood (again, check). That's it. Honor the spirit and the letter of both the Second Amendment in the US Constitution's Bill of Rights as well as Section 13 of the Colorado State Bill of Rights -- and CALL IT A DAY.

Nobody should ever have to call into question the moral or legal right of a person to defend himself, his pets, his home and possessions (including stock and game), or those of others from an attacking animal. Whether that animal is a common household pet gone stray, a feral domestic animal, or a wild animal is immaterial and no civil or criminal liability should ever be imposed on a person defending his own from a dangerous critter.

...but that's just me. :)

bcbrown2

imported post

And, for the record, we're talking about four-legged felines, right?

:lol:

Had to.

bcbrown2

imported post

RockyMtnScotsman wrote:
bcbrown2 wrote:
And, for the record, we're talking about four-legged felines, right?

:lol:

Yeah but being Boulder, some of the others need shooting too.

And some are just too darn pretty to want to shoot :)

achem... moving on.