• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Holster ride height for jogging?

david.ross

imported post

Hello,

Right now I've a decent Safariland ALS holster for my XD .45 which sides mid-height.

I was searching for a gun, and until safariland makes a decent level III for the five-seven I'm not going to buy one just yet. I decided to buy a Glock :) *oh roo*

Anyway, I'm buying another holster and was looking at the different Safariland holsters. There seem to be different variations from high-ride, mid-right, one which is standard to me and a 1.5" drop type from the selections.

Has anyone tried the different types, if so what is best to use for jogging/running?

Here are the ones which I'm looking at below.

Safariland 6075 Fine-Tac Raptor Level III Duty Holster 1.5” Drop
http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum2091.php
6075kyd.jpg

Safariland 6070 Fine-Tac Raptor Level III Duty Holster
http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum2090.php

6070kyd.jpg

Safariland Mid-Ride Level III Duty Holster
http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum1072.php
070.jpg

Also, no... I can't just put it in a pouch

shad0wfax

imported post

If you absolutely must have a belt holster to jog with, the holster that holds the gun closest to it's center of mass is going to be the best. (That's not the geographical center of the gun, but the point where the gun would be balanced on a pin.) My guess is that the second or the third link you posted would be the best compromise. The first link is a terrible idea, because the barrel will want to flop around alot.

When I jog I have to compromise on what I carry. I can't handle the weight of my USP (full-size 45) or my J-frame (.357) flopping around on any kind of a belt-holster, even with a duty-belt or a rigger's belt. (To get the belt tight enough it's not at all fun to jog with.)The Plaxico-Carry method is for retarded people gunning for the Darwin Awards.

That pretty much leaves paddles, ankle holsters, thigh-rigs, or shoulder holsters if I want to carry heavy pistols. Of all of those, I bet the thigh rig would be the most comfortable to jog with. Now I'm tempted to get a thigh-rig for my USP Tactical.

I end up compromising and carrying a little Kel-Tec in .380 ACP because it's so darned slim and light that I can just slip it into my jogging shorts pocket and clip it to the fabric. It stays secure there and it's nicely concealed. I realize this is an OC forum and I do OC most of the time, but I don't OC at gyms or when I jog because it's so impractical for me to do so with the guns I own.

david.ross

imported post

shad0wfax wrote:
The Plaxico-Carry method is for retarded people gunning for the Darwin Awards.
You mean like this guy? :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpgL5kuBpMA

As for the gun center of mass, I'll just have to wait until I get the gun. :(

In jest to someone who made an iPod joke in the paper from shefearsnothing's soccer giong events. I really wanted to go around showing off my new iPod... I mean gun... j/k :)

shad0wfax

imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:
shad0wfax wrote:
The Plaxico-Carry method is for retarded people gunning for the Darwin Awards.
You mean like this guy? :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpgL5kuBpMA

As for the gun center of mass, I'll just have to wait until I get the gun. :(

In jest to someone who made an iPod joke in the paper from shefearsnothing's soccer giong events. I really wanted to go around showing off my new iPod... I mean gun... j/k :)

HAHAAHAHAH That video is priceless. I'm laughing so hard that my eyes are blurring up on me.

Yeah, usually the center of mass is right around the very top of the front-strap of the grip where it meets the frame under the slide. Basically right behind the trigger is where you want the center of the belt to be. I'd say the second holster puts COM right about the bottom of the belt and the third holster puts COM right around the top of the belt. I'd try the second link you posted first. Hanging it low-center is probably better than hanging ithigh-center for jogging.

Michigander

imported post

In my experience, you want it to be a lower one so that it sticks to your leg, but not so low that it flops around. Of the 3 pics, I would guess that the first 2 would be the best choices, and that the 3rd would flop around a bit too much. But it could depend on the holster, the belt, and your build.