• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Out of stater OC in PA?

ADulay

imported post

OK, I asked this in the Ohio forums and the answer was yes, for me to OC in Ohio as a Florida CCW holder.

Now it would appear that I'll be in some counties near Pittsburgh coming up in April and was wondering the same thing.

Is it legal for an out of state CCW holder to open carry in Pennsylvania?

I've got the relevant firearms booklet from the state of Ohio and was wondering if there is something similar for PA?

AD (too much traveling coming up)

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

It's not illegal to open carry in Pennsylvania without a license (except in Philadelphia or in a motor vehicle). The law, actually, is silent on open carry. That being said, the Pennsylvania Supreme Court says it's legal throughout the Commonwealth.

Doesn't matter if you're a Pennsylvania resident, an Ohio resident, or even a resident of New Jersey. Since no license is needed for open carry (except what I already mentioned), any restrictions on out-of-staters would violate the 14th Amendment.

Sorry, Pennsylvania does not issue any sort of booklet such as Ohio's. However, you can get a flyer downloaded from the www.paopencarry.org website.

CowboyKen

imported post

And I believe that your FL permit is good in PA. It certainly covers carrying/transporting in a car and I am almost sure you have the right to concealed carry under PA reciprocity with FL. If that is the case you are also legal to carry, open or concealed, in Philadelphia.

Ken

Farmer Troy

imported post

I'm surprised that your Florida License covers carry in Ohio . . . I thought Ohio was pretty strict about carrying weapons, almost as strict as New York???

ADulay

imported post

Troy,

Ohio and Florida have reciprocity in CCW permits.
Well, I got the booklet for Ohio and on page 18 it states.....

=====================================

[align=left]Reciprocity

Ohio has agreements with other states to recognize one another’s concealed handgun licenses. Consult the Attorney General’s web site for the most recent list of agreements. Be aware the laws of the other state apply to you when you are in that state.[/align]

[align=left]Open Carry

Ohio’s concealed carry laws do not regulate “open” carry of firearms.
If you openly carry, use caution. The open carry of firearms is a legal activity in Ohio.

===========================================

[/align]

ADulay

imported post

Farmer Troy wrote:
I'm surprised that your Florida License covers carry in Ohio . . . I thought Ohio was pretty strict about carrying weapons, almost as strict as New York???

Troy,

Also, there was a time when I was even loath to drive through Ohio as the State Troopers were apparently trained sometime during the German occupation of Europe and it showed. I think you could go to jail for for not knowing the Ohio State bird or something.

They appear to have gotten better in the intervening years since I left.

AD

buster81

imported post

Statkowski wrote:
It's not illegal to open carry in Pennsylvania without a license (except in Philadelphia or in a motor vehicle). The law, actually, is silent on open carry. That being said, the Pennsylvania Supreme Court says it's legal throughout the Commonwealth.
Philly has a city bylaw or something that prohibits OC? What about CC?

gnbrotz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

buster81 wrote:
No. The state legislature is the only body with authority to regulate the possession and carry of firearms. State law requires a license to carry (in any manner) in a 'city of the first class.' Philadelphia is currently the only city of the first class in Pa.

nova

imported post

gnbrotz wrote:
buster81 wrote:
No. The state legislature is the only body with authority to regulate the possession and carry of firearms. State law requires a license to carry (in any manner) in a 'city of the first class.' Philadelphia is currently the only city of the first class in Pa.
For the record, PA law defines a "city of the first class" as one that has a population of 1,000,000 or more. Philly is the only city that meets the definition.

ADulay

imported post

All,

As an update to my original post, I spent the week in an area basically NE of Pittsburgh in an area called Tarentum. I elected to open carry when I went for some coffee and donuts at a local Dunkin Donuts.

No problem at all. Walked both ways and had one police car drive by while walking uphill from the local Harley diner, but nothing was said. Probably didn't see the PPK on a high holster, right side.

I did have one person who asked me for directions to a restaurant mention that I was wearing a gun. I said I didn't like carrying it in my pocket and that pretty much ended the conversation. We then continued with where to get breakfast. Very odd.

Anyway, I open carried in four different restaurants with no apparent problems.

My dress was long pants, golf shirt and reasonably clean shaven, except for my current short beard.

Thanks for the pointers and links from earlier posters who showed me where to get the information for PA right here in the forum.

AD (back in Florida now)

david.ross

imported post

ADulay wrote:
No problem at all. Walked both ways and had one police car drive by while walking uphill from the local Harley diner, but nothing was said. Probably didn't see the PPK on a high holster, right side.
Well I hope there is never an unlawful detainment or arrest for open carry in Pittsburgh. Each commander knows very well heaven's furry will be released upon them. When I was harassed on the 4TH of JULY for open carrying, I made damn well sure an incident report was filed and followed up. In turn there was a big discussion on open carry and in regards to what officers may do.

Right now I've informed them of the managers(both day and night shift) in zone 3 which are telling their officers to detain, ID, and question open carriers even if lawful.

Galt

imported post

Statkowski wrote:
It's not illegal to open carry in Pennsylvania without a license (except in Philadelphia or in a motor vehicle). 

What's the best way for an out-of-stater (MD) to transport a pistol, say, from MD to the place in PA at which he'd like to OC?

virginiatuck

imported post

Galt wrote:
Statkowski wrote:
It's not illegal to open carry in Pennsylvania without a license (except in Philadelphia or in a motor vehicle).

What's the best way for an out-of-stater (MD) to transport a pistol, say, from MD to the place in PA at which he'd like to OC?
Do you go places just to OC?

I'm not a lawyer. I'm just paraphrasing the law here:

MD: Everywhere except a few places the firearm must be unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster."[§4-203 (b)(3)]

PA: In a motor vehicle or concealed on your person the firearm must be unloaded and in a secure wrapper. [18 Pa.C.S. § 6106 (b)(8)]. Get a PA non-resident license to carry firearms to avoid that legal requirement.

Galt

imported post

virginiatuck wrote:
Do you go places just to OC?
No but if I can legally exercise that right, I will. Isn't that why we're all here?

Bustelo5%

imported post

Can you openly carry while driving in PA except for Philly,or is it pretty much like Ohio where unless you have a CCW then it has to be unloaded and in a container?

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

Can you openly carry while driving in PA except for Philly,or is it pretty much like Ohio where unless you have a CCW then it has to be unloaded and in a container?
As the statute was previously cited, you can carry while driving in Pennsylvania if, and only if, you have a Pa. LTCF or a license/permit issued by another state. Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Scranton, Erie, wherever.

If you do not have a Pa. LTCF or a license/permit issued by another state, you cannot "carry" a firearm in a vehicle, but may transport an unloaded firearm to/from a range, firearms dealer orfrom one residence to another. No deviations or stops en route.