• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Out of stater OC in PA?

Bustelo5%

imported post

I kinda figured that it was the same as ohio,but the no deviations in stop thing wow that stifles freedom. Wait so with out a LTCF you cannot just go to the store and shop and go home?
Humm I guess Ohio isnt that bad after all

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

Every state is different. In Virginia, you cannot carry concealed in a place selling alcoholic beverages - so you're forced to open carry. In Pennsylvania, you can either concealed carry or open carry in such an establishment (restaurant, bar, whatever). Ohio, I believe, has certain restrictions on where you can carry that don't exist in Pennsylvania. Each state is different.

Bustelo5%

imported post

I guess the point which I didnt make clear was that I thought since its the next state over the laws wouldnt be universal but at least mostly similar.
In ohio you still cannot carry in a place that serves alchohol unless your a bar worker or owner. I hope they pass a bill where I can go in an OC not drink and leave with no probs.
Now if you do not any LTCF or CCW can you OC in PA?,I read the whole posting but that was a little foggy since the other gentleman already has a CCW.
I really hope to get out to PITT soon that city is pretty cool.

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

You do not need to posess an LTCF or other recognized license/permit to open carry on foot.

However, you do need to posess an LTCF (etc.) to carry in a vehicle (car, bus, bicycle, etc.), unless you're going directly to/from range/firearms dealer/one residence to another. If doing any of the latter, the firearm has to be empty, separated from the ammunition, and inaccessible to the driver. But, if you're with someone else and they have an LTCF (etc.), they can carry the firearm.

Bustelo5%

imported post

Ahh ok that makes alot more sense it just seemed a little weird that there would be some going to a range clause.
Seems as if that law is pretty much the same as ohio. Now the meaning of going to and from a range I dont understand the point of that. Is that just to make sure people are within the law even if they accidently left a bullet in tha chamber whn they are coming back fromt he range?
It just seems a little weird.

JCWohlschlag

imported post

Bustelo5% wrote:
Now the meaning of going to and from a range I dont understand the point of that. Is that just to make sure people are within the law even if they accidently left a bullet in tha chamber whn they are coming back fromt he range?
Accidentally leaving a round in the chamber while traveling to or from a target range without a Pennsylvania license to carry a firearm (LTCF), or a firearm license from any other state, would be illegal.

All of the listed exceptions for carrying a firearm in a vehicle without a Pennsylvania license to carry a firearm (LTCF), or a firearm license from any other state, specify that the firearm must not be loaded.
18 Pa.C.S. § 6106: Firearms not to be carried without a license

(b) Exceptions.--The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:

(4) Any persons engaged in target shooting with a firearm, if such persons are at or are going to or from their places of assembly or target practice and if, while going to or from their places of assembly or target practice, the firearm is not loaded.

(8) Any person while carrying a firearm which is not loaded and is in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his home or place of business, or to a place of repair, sale or appraisal or back to his home or place of business, or in moving from one place of abode or business to another or from his home to a vacation or recreational home or dwelling or back, or to recover stolen property under section 6111.1(b)(4) (relating to Pennsylvania State Police), or to a place of instruction intended to teach the safe handling, use or maintenance of firearms or back or to a location to which the person has been directed to relinquish firearms under 23 Pa.C.S. § 6108 (relating to relief) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm or to a licensed dealer's place of business for relinquishment pursuant to 23 Pa.C.S § 6108.2 (relating to relinquishment for consignment sale, lawful transfer or safekeeping) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm or to a location for safekeeping pursuant to 23 Pa.C.S. § 6108.3 (relating to relinquishment to third party for safekeeping) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm.

(11) Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle, which person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the United States or any other state.

Pennsylvania defines “loaded” in 18 Pa.C.S. § 6102.
18 Pa.C.S. § 6102: Definitions
Subject to additional definitions contained in subsequent provisions of this subchapter which are applicable to specific provisions of this subchapter, the following words and phrases, when used in this subchapter shall have, unless the context clearly indicates otherwise, the meanings given to them in this section:

“Loaded.” A firearm is loaded if the firing chamber, the nondetachable magazine or in the case of a revolver, any of the chambers of the cylinder contain ammunition capable of being fired. In the case of a firearm which utilizes a detachable magazine, the term shall mean a magazine suitable for use in said firearm which magazine contains such ammunition and has been inserted in the firearm or is in the same container or, where the container has multiple compartments, the same compartment thereof as the firearm.

Clear the chamber(s) and either empty your magazines or put any charged magazines into at least a separate compartment of the bag or case your firearm is in, if not into a completely separate bag or case…

… or get a Pennsylvania license to carry a firearm (LTCF) or a firearm license from any other state.

Bustelo5%

imported post

I think PAs laws make a little more sense than Ohio but still both states need to get their act togther and be like KY where you can Oc in plain view in a car without any bs LTCF or CCW.
Hey thanks for explaining that passage that was a tough one,since the law makers worded their law way different than OH but meaning the same thing.
I apperciate it alot and I know some of us newbs who will be traveling to PA soon also.