• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in Car?

imported post

Back before a lot of you squids were even around, then attorney general of the united States, Bobby Kennedy, addressed a room full of Texas "law enforcement officers." Seems the Texas "authorities" decided to arrest hundreds of migrant workers in advance of any crimes taking place. Bobby made it quite clear, you cannot arrest someone because they MAY commit a crime.
I guess that concept of law is outdated now, God save what's left of the Republic.

Louisiana Carry

imported post

Just checked it.

Don't get me wrong, I am an activist, but I think that meets the criteria for reasonable suspicion. Not probabe cause mind you, but reasonable suspicion. Since that is what the motion was based on (RS), I don't see the problem. As much as the law as it relates to guns frequently sucks, I can't see anything of real note here.

If I am missing something, let me know.

Malum Prohibitum

imported post

Louisiana Carry wrote:
Just checked it.

Don't get me wrong, I am an activist, but I think that meets the criteria for reasonable suspicion. Not probabe cause mind you, but reasonable suspicion. Since that is what the motion was based on (RS), I don't see the problem. As much as the law as it relates to guns frequently sucks, I can't see anything of real note here.

If I am missing something, let me know.

Reasonable suspicion of what? I am not trying to be difficult here, but it is not reasonable suspicion of something suspicious. It is reasonable suspicion of a crime. Neither the officer nor the court even attempted to articulate what that crime might be, and the result is that this case could be used to justify detaining anybody with a gun.

It is one of the most terribly reasoned opinions I have ever read, and I predict bad consequences for Louisiana as a result.

Thank you for the safety page. I will check it out.

99vengeur

imported post

What about your vehicle being an extension of your home?? Does that mean cops are going to do checks of people's homes for loaded weapons due to reasonable suspicion of a crime??:banghead:

Louisiana Carry

imported post

The extension of your home thing is a bit of a misnomer. There are many ways in which vehicles are handles differently than homes. There are ways in which they are similar, but it is far too broad of a generalization to say that they are simply an extension of your home. That idea stems from the GFSZ statute that says guns in vehicles cannot be Constitutionally regulated, but that does not mean that RS an PC laws and such do not apply.

99vengeur

imported post

Louisiana Carry wrote:
The extension of your home thing is a bit of a misnomer. There are many ways in which vehicles are handles differently than homes. There are ways in which they are similar, but it is far too broad of a generalization to say that they are simply an extension of your home. That idea stems from the GFSZ statute that says guns in vehicles cannot be Constitutionally regulated, but that does not mean that RS an PC laws and such do not apply.

So, this is only one of a few instances where different laws or statutes seem to conflict. What does one do when faced with laws that are conflicting or confusing as to which one takes precedence over the other?

Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum

imported post

Louisiana Carry wrote:
Right on.

Glad I could be of service. I have been meaning to mention that to you for months.

I appreciate it. This is something we have been meaning to do for a long, long time, but we have so many priorities, that it just kept getting left behind . . .

You made it easy. :celebrate

SlackwareRobert

imported post

The crime that leaps to mind is "Failure to maintain control of vehicle"
and "Failure to act like sheep".
If you are driving down the street, you should not be trying to pull slide back
and chambering a round.
This is worse than "texting".
Now if the leo is running at your car with gun drawn, by all means chamber away
and defend yourself.

How about if you lose your home, and are living in your car?
I seem to recall two instances in Texas, recently LDS kids and parents ordered
out and kidnapped, then other side of state in waco ordered out and slaughtered.