Thread: Is it legal to carry a loaded Rifle or Shotgun in a vehicle?

Post imported post

I know you can carry your pistol loaded in a vehicle as long as it's in plain sight but what about a rifle or shotgun? Can they be loaded in a vehicle as long as you can see them?

Post imported post

Do a search of the posts here. There are so many variables that no simple answer is possible.

stay safe.

skidmark
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Post imported post

You can always carry a rifle or shotgun in your car if it's visible, but loaded is up to a matter of local regulation, which means you need to check local codes. In theory, it should be something like Vermont's "guns actually configured for hunting". but in practice cities and counties can ban any loaded long guns in cars. I'd kill to carry a loaded AR15 in Virginia Beach, but no luck.

Post imported post

This might help:

§ 15.2-915.2. Regulation of transportation of a loaded rifle or shotgun.
    The governing body of any county or city may by ordinance make it unlawful for any person to transport, possess or carry a loaded shotgun or loaded rifle in any vehicle on any public street, road, or highway within such locality. Any violation of such ordinance shall be punishable by a fine of not more than $100. Conservation police officers, sheriffs and all other law-enforcement officers shall enforce the provisions of this section. No ordinance adopted pursuant to this section shall be enforceable unless the governing body adopting such ordinance so notifies the Director of the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries by registered mail prior to May 1 of the year in which such ordinance is to take effect.
    The provisions of this section shall not apply to duly authorized law-enforcement officers or military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, nor to any person who reasonably believes that a loaded rifle or shotgun is necessary for his personal safety in the course of his employment or business.
    (1976, c. 506, § 18.2-287.1; 1977, c. 377; 1989, c. 50; 2004, c. 462.)

A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

Member VCDL, NRA

Some where in Rockbridge County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

hometheaterman wrote:
    I know you can carry your pistol loaded in a vehicle as long as it's in plain sight but what about a rifle or shotgun? Can they be loaded in a vehicle as long as you can see them?

You can't do that with a rifle in Rockbridge County. I suppose it will depend on the locality.

Post imported post

The best way is to reference the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries. They have a rule book that comes out every year that is up to date on not only game rules, but the long gun ordinances in every city and county in the state.

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting...ordinances.pdf
    "These are the shock troops (opencarry.org) of the gun lobby. And, they are not going away."
    Ceasefire NJ Director Brian Miller, NJ.com, August 20, 2009

Post imported post

2a4all wrote:
    This might help:

The governing body of any county or city may by ordinance make it unlawful for any person to transport, possess or carry a loaded shotgun or loaded rifle in any vehicle on any public street, road, or highway within such locality. Any violation of such ordinance shall be punishable by a fine of not more than $100. Conservation police officers, sheriffs and all other law-enforcement officers shall enforce the provisions of this section. No ordinance adopted pursuant to this section shall be enforceable unless the governing body adopting such ordinance so notifies the Director of the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries by registered mail prior to May 1 of the year in which such ordinance is to take effect.
    The provisions of this section shall not apply to duly authorized law-enforcement officers or military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, nor to any person who reasonably believes that a loaded rifle or shotgun is necessary for his personal safety in the course of his employment or business.
    maybe i am reading too much into the bolded part.. but it seems to answer the question.. i could be, and probably am, wrong.

cheers:P

Post imported post

Why not just carry it unloaded with a full magazine next to it?

Post imported post

GWRedDragon wrote:
    Don't have time to research but loaded usually means one in the chamber (from my understanding).
    IMHO, a loaded magazine with a closed bolt on a empty chamber should be fine.
    ianalndipootbt
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

cbackous wrote:
    2a4all wrote:
    This might help:

maybe i am reading too much into the bolded part.. but it seems to answer the question.. i could be, and probably am, wrong.

cheers:P
    I too have problems with the bold part. I think it should be changed to read:

"nor to any person who reasonably believes that a loaded rifle or shotgun is necessary for his personal safety"

And to whom (and when) does one make this declaration of reasonable belief?
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

Member VCDL, NRA

Post imported post

Agent19 wrote:
    GWRedDragon wrote:
    Don't have time to research but loaded usually means one in the chamber (from my understanding).
    IMHO, a loaded magazine with a closed bolt on a empty chamber should be fine.
    ianalndipootbt
    Right, that's my understanding too...except that I would think that a gun with an empty chamber but with a loaded magazine inserted is probably also "loaded".

What the heck is ianalndipootbt?

Post imported post

2a4all wrote:
    And to whom (and when) does one make this declaration of reasonable belief?
    To the jury, most likely.

Post imported post

GWRedDragon wrote:
    Agent19 wrote:What the heck is ianalndipootbt?
    Oh, I know I know...

I Am Not A Lawyer Nor Do I Play One On The Boob Tube!

TFred