• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is it legal to carry a loaded Rifle or Shotgun in a vehicle?

hometheaterman

imported post

I know you can carry your pistol loaded in a vehicle as long as it's in plain sight but what about a rifle or shotgun? Can they be loaded in a vehicle as long as you can see them?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Do a search of the posts here. There are so many variables that no simple answer is possible.

stay safe.

skidmark

denwego

imported post

You can always carry a rifle or shotgun in your car if it's visible, but loaded is up to a matter of local regulation, which means you need to check local codes. In theory, it should be something like Vermont's "guns actually configured for hunting". but in practice cities and counties can ban any loaded long guns in cars. I'd kill to carry a loaded AR15 in Virginia Beach, but no luck.

2a4all

imported post

This might help:

§ 15.2-915.2. Regulation of transportation of a loaded rifle or shotgun.
The governing body of any county or city may by ordinance make it unlawful for any person to transport, possess or carry a loaded shotgun or loaded rifle in any vehicle on any public street, road, or highway within such locality. Any violation of such ordinance shall be punishable by a fine of not more than $100. Conservation police officers, sheriffs and all other law-enforcement officers shall enforce the provisions of this section. No ordinance adopted pursuant to this section shall be enforceable unless the governing body adopting such ordinance so notifies the Director of the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries by registered mail prior to May 1 of the year in which such ordinance is to take effect.
The provisions of this section shall not apply to duly authorized law-enforcement officers or military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, nor to any person who reasonably believes that a loaded rifle or shotgun is necessary for his personal safety in the course of his employment or business.
(1976, c. 506, § 18.2-287.1; 1977, c. 377; 1989, c. 50; 2004, c. 462.)

usaf0906

imported post

2a4all wrote:
This might help:

The governing body of any county or city may by ordinance make it unlawful for any person to transport, possess or carry a loaded shotgun or loaded rifle in any vehicle on any public street, road, or highway within such locality. Any violation of such ordinance shall be punishable by a fine of not more than $100. Conservation police officers, sheriffs and all other law-enforcement officers shall enforce the provisions of this section. No ordinance adopted pursuant to this section shall be enforceable unless the governing body adopting such ordinance so notifies the Director of the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries by registered mail prior to May 1 of the year in which such ordinance is to take effect.
The provisions of this section shall not apply to duly authorized law-enforcement officers or military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, nor to any person who reasonably believes that a loaded rifle or shotgun is necessary for his personal safety in the course of his employment or business.
maybe i am reading too much into the bolded part.. but it seems to answer the question.. i could be, and probably am, wrong.

cheers:p

Marco

imported post

GWRedDragon wrote:
Why not just carry it unloaded with a full magazine next to it?
Don't have time to research but loaded usually means one in the chamber (from my understanding).
IMHO, a loaded magazine with a closed bolt on a empty chamber should be fine.
ianalndipootbt

2a4all

imported post

cbackous wrote:
2a4all wrote:
This might help:

maybe i am reading too much into the bolded part.. but it seems to answer the question.. i could be, and probably am, wrong.

cheers:p
I too have problems with the bold part. I think it should be changed to read:

"nor to any person who reasonably believes that a loaded rifle or shotgun is necessary for his personal safety"

And to whom (and when) does one make this declaration of reasonable belief?

GWRedDragon

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
GWRedDragon wrote:
Why not just carry it unloaded with a full magazine next to it?
Don't have time to research but loaded usually means one in the chamber (from my understanding).
IMHO, a loaded magazine with a closed bolt on a empty chamber should be fine.
ianalndipootbt
Right, that's my understanding too...except that I would think that a gun with an empty chamber but with a loaded magazine inserted is probably also "loaded".

What the heck is ianalndipootbt?