Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 20 or 21? Which is it?

Post imported post

So I looked on this website (which is a godsend by the way) and it says you have to be 21 to open carry w/o cpl. I asked my manager who said 20 and a cop who said 20 as well. I'm guessing they were wrong?

Post imported post

It is 18 to own and carry. You have to be 21 to buy a firearm from a dealer and you have to be 21 to get the concealed carry license.

Post imported post

Rainman wrote:
    It is 18 to own and carry. You have to be 21 to buy a firearm from a dealer and you have to be 21 to get the concealed carry license.
    This is correct in WA.

If you go to ID, you have to be 21 to OC. Be careful if you live near the ID border.

Post imported post

Awesome, good to hear. Thanks for clearing that up. I'm new to the site so you will probably be hearing from me more.

By the way, is there an RCW that states this or other supporting document?

Post imported post

And I clicked here thinking you were trying to decide between a full-size Glock 10MM or .45ACP

I have the 10MM, so you know where I'd point.

Ya got yer good info on age above...

Post imported post

shad0wfax wrote:
    Rainman wrote:
    It is 18 to own and carry.
    This is correct in WA.

If you go to ID, you have to be 21 to OC. Be careful if you live near the ID border.
    Gentlemen, I'm going to have to call penalty flags on both of you. shad0wfax, I swear I'm not stalking you.

State of Washington
    RCW 9.41.240

Unless an exception under RCW 9.41.042, 9.41.050, or 9.41.060 applies, a person at least eighteen years of age, but less than twenty-one years of age, may possess a pistol only:

(1) In the person's place of abode;

(2) At the person's fixed place of business; or

(3) On real property under his or her control.

State of Idaho
    Please cite the Statute that prohibits carrying a handgun by a citizen who is 18 years old.

Post imported post

So according to 9.41.060(8), a person over 18 but under 21 should carry a tent and sleeping bag on or near their transportation, thus being actively "going camping"

At that point they could OC?

Post imported post

Ya thanks for correcting them, Snake. RCWs pertaining to firearms are not long nor complicated. I recommend you take 30 minutes to go over them and become familiar with them. Do not take anyone's advice as concrete, and always check it out yourself.

Post imported post

Hammer,

Even though I'm not a lawyer, I still feel comfortable giving the advice that people not try to explore the boundaries between actually and genuinely "engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity", versus merely pretending to be.

YMMV.

Post imported post

kparker wrote:
    Hammer,

Even though I'm not a lawyer, I still feel comfortable giving the advice that people not try to explore the boundaries between actually and genuinely "engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity", versus merely pretending to be.

YMMV.
    Apparently in your case I need to gild my sarcasm with a more dripping font.

Post imported post

American Rattlesnake wrote:
    shad0wfax wrote:
    Rainman wrote:
    It is 18 to own and carry.
    This is correct in WA.

Gentlemen, I'm going to have to call penalty flags on both of you. shad0wfax, I swear I'm not stalking you.

State of Washington
    RCW 9.41.240

Unless an exception under RCW 9.41.042, 9.41.050, or 9.41.060 applies, a person at least eighteen years of age, but less than twenty-one years of age, may possess a pistol only:

State of Idaho
    Please cite the Statute that prohibits carrying a handgun by a citizen who is 18 years old.

Hahahah, don't forget about "engaged in any legitimate outdoor activity" or whatever. I interpret that to be on a nature hike or a walk around the block. :P

Post imported post

Oh ok. Thanks. Its a good thing I asked before I started carrying. Too bad, I was looking forward to it too :?

Post imported post

G27 wrote:
    Ya thanks for correcting them, Snake. RCWs pertaining to firearms are not long nor complicated. I recommend you take 30 minutes to go over them and become familiar with them. Do not take anyone's advice as concrete, and always check it out yourself.
    Absolutely. Anyone interested in carrying a firearm in the state of WA should read through RCW 9.41 in its entirety. As G27 mentioned, it only takes a few minutes.

The consequences associated with screwing up are too severe to take anyone's advice without checking it against the law. Be responsible for your ownknowledge. Go to the source.

Regards to all...

Post imported post

shad0wfax wrote:
    Hahahah, don't forget about "engaged in any legitimate outdoor activity" or whatever. I interpret that to be on a nature hike or a walk around the block. :P
    Yes, that would be RCW 9.41.060 as quoted in my post. Subsection 8 describes the "outdoor activity exception" to the prohibition on carrying a firearm.

Opt-Out Members
    Kitsap & Whatcom Counties, Washington, USA

Post imported post

People between 18 and 21 may carry concealed or otherwise on real property under their control and in their fixed place of business. Also in areas where it is legal to shoot, a minor may carry a handgun under supervision. Make sure to read the RCWs yourself though.

Post imported post

G27 wrote:
    Sorry, it was late when I responded, yet I'm glad I was corrected, and this is the BEST advise of all. NEVER listen to anyone, always check for yourself.

Post imported post

Up in the air.... I am aCC 23yo, but have a friend that is 19. I know he can OC, but was told that his pistol can't be loaded... if so, whats the point...?

Does anyone have a short clarifacation.... AND the RCW on this?

Thanks,

David

Post imported post

Your 19 y.o. friend cannot open carry, unloaded or not, (and obviously not concealed carry) under RCW 9.41.240 unless in his home, fixed place of business, or his own property. There are exceptions under RCWs 9.41.042, 9.41.050, and 9.41.060, basically saying that if the person between 18 and 21 is at a shooting range or participating in a "lawful outdoor recreational activity." I'd recommend looking at the RCWs yourself and having your friend look them up as well in order to know what is okay and what is not. Here is the link to RCW 9.41.240 to look at. The exceptions are listed in the beginning of the law.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/Rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.240

Post imported post

NavyLT wrote:
    Go to Idaho. It is legal for an 18 to 20 year old to OC there.
    CHAPTER 33 FIREARMS, EXPLOSIVES AND OTHER DEADLY WEAPONS
    http://www.legislature.idaho.gov/ids...18/T18CH33.htm

OCDO - Idaho Gun Law Pamphlet
    http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum20/30775.html

Post imported post

Hammer wrote:
    So according to 9.41.060(8), a person over 18 but under 21 should carry a tent and sleeping bag on or near their transportation, thus being actively "going camping"

At that point they could OC?
    Actually Washington state law says that not only is OC OK when going to and from or participating in hunting or fishing or other outdoor sportsbut you have a defacto CPL too.

Post imported post

Both Washington and Idaho allow Open Carry of a Loaded Pistol at 18 years old.

Washington Law that allows this is: RCW 9.41.240(A).

Idaho Law that allows this is: Idaho Code 18-3302F(1).

Federal Law that allows Persons, 18 years of age or older, to have Handguns is: 18 U.S.C 922(x).

Post imported post

NavyLT wrote:
    aadvark wrote:
    Both Washington and Idaho allow Open Carry of a Loaded Pistol at 18 years old.

Washington Law that allows this is: RCW 9.41.240(A).

Idaho Law that allows this is: Idaho Code 18-3302F(1).

Federal Law that allows Persons, 18 years of age or older, to have Handguns is: 18 U.S.C 922(x).

So, aadvark, what YOU are saying is that an 18 year old can go shopping at Wal Mart with a loaded handgun openly carried and be legal in Washington State?

Also can you please post this 9.41.240(A)? I can't seem to find it.
    You can't find that which does notexist.

[/b]Unless an exception under RCW 9.41.042, 9.41.050, or 9.41.060 applies, a person at least eighteen years of age, but less than twenty-one years of age, may possess a pistol only:

Post imported post

A person between the ages of 18 and 21 cannot legally carry a handgun. I know this because I was arrested and booked on two counts of violating RCW 9.41.240 last September (I was traveling peaceably from my apartment in Bellingham to my parent's house in Oak Harbor, where I would be house sitting with my AR-15, shotgun, Ruger Mk. II, and Ruger Redhawk). All my firearms were cased and secured, but OHPD didn't care. Charges will be dismissed in June (stipulated order of continuance).

Post imported post

There's more details that I left out too, like the fact that the long guns were taken down, and I had absolutely zero ammunition for the handguns. Anyways, I have no money being a student at WWU, so I got a public defender, but I got a six month stipulated order of continuance, and after its dismissed, I can have my record expunged according to my attorney.

I'll shoot you a PM the next time I head down, its always nice to meet new folks, and gun folk are some of the friendliest out there that I've ever met.

Post imported post

Well, I got all the ones I listed (which were taken by the OHPD) back, but have since sold the Mk. II. I bought an M&P 40 during the court case from a Whatcom County Sheriff's deputy, and a Henry H001T as well. No black powder yet, but I'm planning on getting some of those Lyman kits, and "building" a pistol and Kentucky rifle myself eventually.

I'm going to stop hijacking this thread now. lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast