• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

20 or 21? Which is it?

aadvark

imported post

Both Washington and Idaho allow Open Carry of a Loaded Pistol at 18 years old.

Washington Law that allows this is: RCW 9.41.240(A).

Idaho Law that allows this is: Idaho Code 18-3302F(1).

Federal Law that allows Persons, 18 years of age or older, to have Handguns is: 18 U.S.C 922(x).

Bear 45/70

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
aadvark wrote:
Both Washington and Idaho allow Open Carry of a Loaded Pistol at 18 years old.

Washington Law that allows this is: RCW 9.41.240(A).

Idaho Law that allows this is: Idaho Code 18-3302F(1).

Federal Law that allows Persons, 18 years of age or older, to have Handguns is: 18 U.S.C 922(x).
So, aadvark, what YOU are saying is that an 18 year old can go shopping at Wal Mart with a loaded handgun openly carried and be legal in Washington State?

Also can you please post this 9.41.240(A)? I can't seem to find it.
You can't find that which does notexist.

[align=right][/align]
[/b]Unless an exception under RCW 9.41.042, 9.41.050, or 9.41.060 applies, a person at least eighteen years of age, but less than twenty-one years of age, may possess a pistol only:

(1) In the person's place of abode;

(2) At the person's fixed place of business; or

(3) On real property under his or her control.

k.rollin

imported post

A person between the ages of 18 and 21 cannot legally carry a handgun. I know this because I was arrested and booked on two counts of violating RCW 9.41.240 last September (I was traveling peaceably from my apartment in Bellingham to my parent's house in Oak Harbor, where I would be house sitting with my AR-15, shotgun, Ruger Mk. II, and Ruger Redhawk). All my firearms were cased and secured, but OHPD didn't care. Charges will be dismissed in June (stipulated order of continuance).

k.rollin

imported post

There's more details that I left out too, like the fact that the long guns were taken down, and I had absolutely zero ammunition for the handguns. Anyways, I have no money being a student at WWU, so I got a public defender, but I got a six month stipulated order of continuance, and after its dismissed, I can have my record expunged according to my attorney.

I'll shoot you a PM the next time I head down, its always nice to meet new folks, and gun folk are some of the friendliest out there that I've ever met.

k.rollin

imported post

Well, I got all the ones I listed (which were taken by the OHPD) back, but have since sold the Mk. II. I bought an M&P 40 during the court case from a Whatcom County Sheriff's deputy, and a Henry H001T as well. No black powder yet, but I'm planning on getting some of those Lyman kits, and "building" a pistol and Kentucky rifle myself eventually.

I'm going to stop hijacking this thread now. lol

1245A Defender

imported post

k.rollin wrote:
A person between the ages of 18 and 21 cannot legally carry a handgun. I know this because I was arrested and booked on two counts of violating RCW 9.41.240 last September (I was traveling peaceably from my apartment in Bellingham to my parent's house in Oak Harbor, where I would be house sitting with my AR-15, shotgun, Ruger Mk. II, and Ruger Redhawk). All my firearms were cased and secured, but OHPD didn't care. Charges will be dismissed in June (stipulated order of continuance).
that sucks dude!! you were covered by the exception of 9.41.060,, unloaded and in cases!!

k.rollin

imported post

I know the charges should've been dismissed outright, but what I got off with is still better than what could've happened (2 years in jail, $10000 in fines). My treatment by the authorities was less than pleasant too, but there's not much that I can do about that.

kito109654

imported post

Rainman wrote:
It is 18 to own and carry. You have to be 21 to buy a firearm from a dealer and you have to be 21 to get the concealed carry license.
WHAT? No, you may not carry until you are 21 except for the outlined exceptions such as being on your own property etc.

SpyderTattoo

imported post

Hammer wrote:
And I clicked here thinking you were trying to decide between a full-size Glock 10MM or .45ACP

I have the 10MM, so you know where I'd point.

Ya got yer good info on age above... :)
I prefer the G21SF...(.45 ACP) ;)

amzbrady

imported post

Rainman wrote:
It is 18 to own and carry. You have to be 21 to buy a firearm from a dealer and you have to be 21 to get the concealed carry license.

did I miss something, seems like we just had this discussion.

Your saying in WA state you can OC at 18?

aadvark

imported post

I meant to write 9.41.240 without the (A).

I meant to put no, but I made a mistake.

Open Carry in Wal-Mart would not be Legal in Washington by an 18 year-old, apparently, unless:

9.41.042, 9.41.050, or 9.41.060 applies.

*Hey, sometimes I make mistakes too. I have never read the Washingotn Code before, asI do not live in Washington, so it was not intentional.