• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

20 or 21? Which is it?

warhammerjr

imported post

So I looked on this website (which is a godsend by the way) and it says you have to be 21 to open carry w/o cpl. I asked my manager who said 20 and a cop who said 20 as well. I'm guessing they were wrong?

Rainman

imported post

It is 18 to own and carry. You have to be 21 to buy a firearm from a dealer and you have to be 21 to get the concealed carry license.

shad0wfax

imported post

Rainman wrote:
It is 18 to own and carry. You have to be 21 to buy a firearm from a dealer and you have to be 21 to get the concealed carry license.

This is correct in WA.

If you go to ID, you have to be 21 to OC. Be careful if you live near the ID border.

warhammerjr

imported post

Awesome, good to hear. Thanks for clearing that up. I'm new to the site so you will probably be hearing from me more.

By the way, is there an RCW that states this or other supporting document?

Hammer

imported post

And I clicked here thinking you were trying to decide between a full-size Glock 10MM or .45ACP

I have the 10MM, so you know where I'd point.

Ya got yer good info on age above... :)

American Rattlesnake

imported post

shad0wfax wrote:
Rainman wrote:
It is 18 to own and carry.

This is correct in WA.

If you go to ID, you have to be 21 to OC. Be careful if you live near the ID border.
Gentlemen, I'm going to have to call penalty flags on both of you. shad0wfax, I swear I'm not stalking you. ;)

State of Washington
RCW 9.41.240

Unless an exception under RCW 9.41.042, 9.41.050, or 9.41.060 applies, a person at least eighteen years of age, but less than twenty-one years of age, may possess a pistol only:

(1) In the person's place of abode;

(2) At the person's fixed place of business; or

(3) On real property under his or her control.

State of Idaho
Please cite the Statute that prohibits carrying a handgun by a citizen who is 18 years old.

Hammer

imported post

So according to 9.41.060(8), a person over 18 but under 21 should carry a tent and sleeping bag on or near their transportation, thus being actively "going camping" :banghead:

At that point they could OC?

G27

imported post

Ya thanks for correcting them, Snake. RCWs pertaining to firearms are not long nor complicated. I recommend you take 30 minutes to go over them and become familiar with them. Do not take anyone's advice as concrete, and always check it out yourself.

kparker

imported post

Hammer,

Even though I'm not a lawyer, I still feel comfortable giving the advice that people not try to explore the boundaries between actually and genuinely "engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity", versus merely pretending to be.

YMMV.

Hammer

imported post

kparker wrote:
Hammer,

Even though I'm not a lawyer, I still feel comfortable giving the advice that people not try to explore the boundaries between actually and genuinely "engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity", versus merely pretending to be.

YMMV.
Apparently in your case I need to gild my sarcasm with a more dripping font.

shad0wfax

imported post

American Rattlesnake wrote:
shad0wfax wrote:
Rainman wrote:
It is 18 to own and carry.

This is correct in WA.

Gentlemen, I'm going to have to call penalty flags on both of you. shad0wfax, I swear I'm not stalking you. ;)

State of Washington
RCW 9.41.240

Unless an exception under RCW 9.41.042, 9.41.050, or 9.41.060 applies, a person at least eighteen years of age, but less than twenty-one years of age, may possess a pistol only:

(1) In the person's place of abode;

(2) At the person's fixed place of business; or

(3) On real property under his or her control.

State of Idaho
Please cite the Statute that prohibits carrying a handgun by a citizen who is 18 years old.

Hahahah, don't forget about "engaged in any legitimate outdoor activity" or whatever. I interpret that to be on a nature hike or a walk around the block. :p

American Rattlesnake

imported post

G27 wrote:
Ya thanks for correcting them, Snake. RCWs pertaining to firearms are not long nor complicated. I recommend you take 30 minutes to go over them and become familiar with them. Do not take anyone's advice as concrete, and always check it out yourself.

Absolutely. Anyone interested in carrying a firearm in the state of WA should read through RCW 9.41 in its entirety. As G27 mentioned, it only takes a few minutes.

The consequences associated with screwing up are too severe to take anyone's advice without checking it against the law. Be responsible for your ownknowledge. Go to the source.

Regards to all...

American Rattlesnake

imported post

shad0wfax wrote:
Hahahah, don't forget about "engaged in any legitimate outdoor activity" or whatever. I interpret that to be on a nature hike or a walk around the block. :p

Yes, that would be RCW 9.41.060 as quoted in my post. Subsection 8 describes the "outdoor activity exception" to the prohibition on carrying a firearm. :)

carhark

Opt-Out Members
Kitsap & Whatcom Counties, Washington, USA
imported post

People between 18 and 21 may carry concealed or otherwise on real property under their control and in their fixed place of business. Also in areas where it is legal to shoot, a minor may carry a handgun under supervision. Make sure to read the RCWs yourself though.

Rainman

imported post

G27 wrote:
Sorry, it was late when I responded, yet I'm glad I was corrected, and this is the BEST advise of all. NEVER listen to anyone, always check for yourself.

krysis86

imported post

Up in the air.... I am aCC 23yo, but have a friend that is 19. I know he can OC, but was told that his pistol can't be loaded... if so, whats the point...?

Does anyone have a short clarifacation.... AND the RCW on this?

Thanks,

David

FlyerAce128

imported post

Your 19 y.o. friend cannot open carry, unloaded or not, (and obviously not concealed carry) under RCW 9.41.240 unless in his home, fixed place of business, or his own property. There are exceptions under RCWs 9.41.042, 9.41.050, and 9.41.060, basically saying that if the person between 18 and 21 is at a shooting range or participating in a "lawful outdoor recreational activity." I'd recommend looking at the RCWs yourself and having your friend look them up as well in order to know what is okay and what is not. Here is the link to RCW 9.41.240 to look at. The exceptions are listed in the beginning of the law.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/Rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.240

Bear 45/70

imported post

Hammer wrote:
So according to 9.41.060(8), a person over 18 but under 21 should carry a tent and sleeping bag on or near their transportation, thus being actively "going camping" :banghead:

At that point they could OC?
Actually Washington state law says that not only is OC OK when going to and from or participating in hunting or fishing or other outdoor sportsbut you have a defacto CPL too.