• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in Seattle

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

What is there to correct?? The law clearly defines loaded and unloaded.You wish to carry your ammo in the trunk, I prefer to keep mine at hand which makes both legal.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
RCW 9.41.010 Terms defined. Unless the context clearly requires otherwise, the definitions in this section apply throughout this chapter. (9) "Loaded" means:
(a) There is a cartridge in the chamber of the firearm;
(b) Cartridges are in a clip that is locked in place in the firearm;
(c) There is a cartridge in the cylinder of the firearm, if the firearm is a revolver;
(d) There is a cartridge in the tube or magazine that is inserted in the action; or
(e) There is a ball in the barrel and the firearm is capped or primed if the firearm is a muzzle loader.
A great loophole....
My dueling pistols are six cylinder, loads from front of cylinder not the muzzle
takes care of 'E'.
Also uses primer caps, not cartriges, so 'C' also not relavent.
yeh, I get away from all the "loaded" requirements.....
I do believe the old peacemakers are the same way, except each cyl has a cap.

joeroket

imported post

SlackwareRobert wrote:
NavyLT wrote:
RCW 9.41.010 Terms defined. Unless the context clearly requires otherwise, the definitions in this section apply throughout this chapter. (9) "Loaded" means:
(c) There is a cartridge in the cylinder of the firearm, if the firearm is a revolver;
(d) There is a cartridge in the tube or magazine that is inserted in the action; or
(e) There is a ball in the barrel and the firearm is capped or primed if the firearm is a muzzle loader.
A great loophole....
My dueling pistols are six cylinder, loads from front of cylinder not the muzzle
takes care of 'E'.
I believe you would fall under (e) if it was up in front of the courts.

shad0wfax

imported post

SlackwareRobert wrote:
NavyLT wrote:
A great loophole....
takes care of 'E'.
I'm not sure I'd want to push that one Slackware... I mean, you could try, but I think the interpretation in a court would go against you.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Webster's on my side.
These were made long before the law, and they chose to ignore the design,
so they can't claim to be designed to get around the law also.
Unfortunately no holsters. Just the ornamental box they come in.
Shame fast draw dueling never caught on.

armyhellion13

imported post

amlevin wrote:
armyhellion13 wrote:
-- what I was told by a LEO friend of mine ---
The number one source of misinformation on gun carry laws, bar none.
Yeah, if you posted the rest of what I said in that quote...I said that. I also admitted that as a former LEO myself, I was and have been misinformed. Thanks for sharing though.

amlevin

imported post

armyhellion13 wrote:
amlevin wrote:
armyhellion13 wrote:
-- what I was told by a LEO friend of mine ---
The number one source of misinformation on gun carry laws, bar none.
Yeah, if you posted the rest of what I said in that quote...I said that. I also admitted that as a former LEO myself, I was and have been misinformed. Thanks for sharing though.

My "dig" was not directed at you. I was referring to the hundreds of posts on this, and other forums, that use the "My friend the LEO" source as absolute fact.

When I am bored at the range, I will often engage an officer from one of the many departments that practice/qualify there in the subject of OC. Up until very recent their answers have been "that's illegal and you can be arrested for doing so".

Thanks to Lonnie Wilson's (and many others as well) efforts they are getting the message on OC in Washington. Still--------there are far too many that like to "shoot from the hip" and interject their beliefs rather than what the law says.

joeroket

imported post

SlackwareRobert wrote:
Webster's on my side.
These were made long before the law, and they chose to ignore the design,
so they can't claim to be designed to get around the law also.
Unfortunately no holsters. Just the ornamental box they come in.
Shame fast draw dueling never caught on.
And the courts always use the dictionary definition and not legislative intent.

vote_no

imported post

armyhellion13 wrote:
It might not be illegal in some places to walk on the guard rail over a bridge, but will the police stop you and detain you if they see you doing this? Yes. It is a stupid idea for multiple reasons? Yes. Is it your right to get accross the bridge? Yes. You just need to be smart aboutit.
This is the most hilarious analogy I've ever heard.