• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Somewhat OT, but self-defense related

Charles Paul Lincoln

imported post

I know this isn't OC related, but I think any time our constitutionally protected right to self-defense is encroached upon, we should be concerned. Each assault on the 2nd amendment or Article 1 Section 24 of our state constitution is another chink in the armour, so to speak. So, I bring this bill to your attention. You may want to contact your legislators.

SB 5263 (and BHB 1222) both seek to ban the possession of stun guns and other electronic defensive devices at public schools. Sound innocuous enough? Possession becomes a gross misdemeanor, and some of the exemptions currently provided for firearms on school groundswon't apply to stun guns and Tasers.The provision that with a CPL you can possess while picking up or dropping off a student has been incorporated for electronic devices.

Anybody here a teacher? Or have a spouse that works in a school? Or have a student that comes and goes from school at all hours? Or have a spouse that goes to PTA meetings or such? Their last truly effective self-defensive tool that is currently legal on school campuses will be taken away. Every year, about five percent of teachers are assaulted at school by students (source, National Center for Educational Statistics) -- these are the incidents that are reported, and don't include assaults in the vicinity of campus like walking to your car at night. It isn't clear if this statistic includes assaults by angry parents, and these days in schools that it a concern. A very real possibility.

I've worked in schools. I have been physically threatened, and I have been told by law enforcement that a parent was making public threats to harm me. Despite this warning, I couldn't legally carry a firearm because of the myopic view of past legislatures. I didn't have immediate access to a Taser, but it probably would have been themost effective non-lethal device to carry. Instead, I carried my 5-cell maglite coming and going from my car, plus some other "tools." But, I wouldn't want my wife put in the same position of being threatened and then have her last effective self-defense device stripped from her. Nor would I want my daughter, who can come and go from dances at midnight, to not be able to carry some legal device. Schools and the areas surrounding them are not safe any more -- why should any of us have to forfeit our right to self defense just because we are on a campus? Is our life somehow worth less there?

Anybody have thoughts on this?

Charles

ETA for PDF of bill

ElJefe1911

imported post

Do you know if this applies to the use of pepper sprays? I have never been a a big fan of Tasers as a civilian defense tool. I think a good pepper spray works much better. I know that is not the point and any infringement of our rights is one more step to losing losing them all together. Please keep us posted if you hear any more.

Charles Paul Lincoln

imported post

The bill is scheduled for a hearing with the Juciary Committee this Wednesday. Pam Roach is on that committee, and I've prepared a letter for her that I will hand deliver tomorrow.

As far as pepper spray, in schools it has been a nightmare . . . building evacuations when a can of OC spray goes off and is sucked into the HVAC and distributed through the school. Personally, I prefer pepper foam. I'm waiting for them to add OC products to the list if this happens to make it through judiciary.