Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carry at Hampton Gun Show?

Post imported post

i saw some posts from 2007 talking about insurance issues for the people that put on the gun show and not allowing loaded weapons.. i was wondering if this was still the case or if i would be good to carry..

either way i will be heading that way in an hour or so, any info would be helpful

Post imported post

I know that at the show in Chantilly you can't have any loaded weapons. Not sure if it's the same for the show in Hampton. But I guess you could carry an unloaded gun, just for the hell of it.

Post imported post

i'll just carry a rock and a whistle... i wont hate myself for throwing a rock..

i'll see what it says, if i dont see anything about carrying, i will let you know what i find.

Post imported post

They will zip tye your barrel. Stick a full mag in your pocket and have a knife with you to break the zip tye if need be. Or you can just zip tye it yourself and see where you get with that

Post imported post

ya.. no loaded weapons were allowed. on a plus side i found a nice and simple IWB holster for the rare times that i will CC. I also stopped at the VCDL booth, had a good long chat and i finally got myself a GUNS save lives button! i promptly pinned it to my shirt and walked around with it all day, i might have even convinced some of my work buddies to join up.

all in all.. great show

Post imported post

wait a minute... you can't carry at a GUN SHOW??

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

tsannicolas wrote:
    You can carry - just not hot. Too big of a risk of ND for their insurance carrier I think.

No restriction on carrying loaded mags though.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

tsannicolas wrote:
    I've always thought this was pretty odd as well. I hadn't thought about the insurance excuse. A gun show has got to be one of the safest places on the planet.

Post imported post

Armed wrote:
    tsannicolas wrote:
    I've always thought this was pretty odd as well. I hadn't thought about the insurance excuse. A gun show has got to be one of the safest places on the planet.
    seriously

Post imported post

I can not imagine how the can prohibit carry - the City of Hampton owns the property!

The City of Hampton Property Database has the following listed:

PARCEL ID: 07B008A00 0000PCB1
    PARENT PARCEL ID: 07B008A00 00000PC2
    LRSN: 13001172
    OWNER: HAMPTON CITY OF
    PROPERTYADDRESS: 1610 COLISEUM DR
    GISADDRESS: 1610 COLISEUM DR
    NEIGHBORHOOD: 9070
    PROPERTY USE: 604 /Exempt
    PLAT BOOK/PAGE: 0000/0000
    MAILING ADDRESS: 22 LINCOLN ST HAMPTON VA23669
    LEGAL DESCRIPTION: 1610 COLISEUM DR. PCB1. 31.8346AC

Post imported post

They made anouncements all day today saying no loaded guns due to insurance issues. Also when you get your gun zip tied they ask if you have rounds and put them in a zip lock bag with your name on it. I guess no one would buy a mag and rounds and put them together. We did do real well at the VCDL table sold plenty of stuff and signed up a bunch of new members.

Post imported post

GLENGLOCKER wrote:
    They made anouncements all day today saying no loaded guns due to insurance issues. Also when you get your gun zip tied they ask if you have rounds and put them in a zip lock bag with your name on it. I guess no one would buy a mag and rounds and put them together. We did do real well at the VCDL table sold plenty of stuff and signed up a bunch of new members.
    To my knowledge that is a new move - and to what benefit - so they can bugger up the working end of your DPXs?

Are they warrantying the safe, proper storage of your ammo and return in the same condition to the right person? Is a receipt given?

Yata hey

You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    GLENGLOCKER wrote:
    To my knowledge that is a new move - and to what benefit - so they can bugger up the working end of your DPXs?

Are they warrantying the safe, proper storage of your ammo and return in the same condition to the right person? Is a receipt given?

Yata hey

The "Bagging your bullets" business has been going on for some time. I went to my 1st gun show last spring (Hampton) and they made me bag my ammo and leave it with the security guard at the exhibit hall entrance. (I did get it back.) They were still doing this today.

Today, I went to help out at the VCDL table (which was inside the exhibit hall this time), and when I asked the person checking admissions stamps to let me in, she had to get permission from one of the exhibitor monitors. She never asked me if I was armed. I unloaded when I got to the VCDL table, and put my ammo (revolver) into an empty Altoids tin that I carry for that purpose.

One attendee at a previous show had to remove all the ammo from his double holster cowboy belt.
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

Member VCDL, NRA

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    GLENGLOCKER wrote:

Yata hey

I had to do this the last time I went to the VB Gun show. I had to leave it with the VSP Trooper.

Post imported post

Do you all enter the show - go up to the VSP check weapons table hot? I would presume not. I hate that I am always swept by at least my own gun when they accept it to check and zip it. :shock:

I clear before I go in (at my vehicle) so they are getting a cleared weapon to check. I have never been asked if I had any ammo on me. I did - 3 mags and one for the tube.
    In warmer weather, two mags are very visible on my belt.

Yata hey

Post imported post

I clear mine at my car also. I plead the 5th on where the ammo is.

Post imported post

GLENGLOCKER wrote:
    I clear mine at my car also. I plead the 5th on where the ammo is.
    Not another boating accident!

Yata hey

Post imported post

The last time I went to the Hampton show, they had me unload my handgun, remove all magazines, empty all magazines, and then put the bullets & magazines in one baggie. The baggie had my name written on in with permanent black marker and they were only releasing the baggies if you showed your ID. No taking down of information occurred. They were just comparing the name on the ID to the name on the baggie.

My firearm, they-zip tied it... well tried to. They couldn't figure out how to lock the slide open. I sighed and had the person give it back. I locked the slide open and then zip-tied it.

I had the same observation about those zip-ties... what exactly stops someone from buying a magazine or three, ammo for the firearm, bringing/buying a small knife or clipper to cut the zip-tie and then loading up? Then again, it may just be a means for them to comply with the insurance requirements because they have to. The fault may not lie with show itself.

Feel good safety measures don't improve the situation. Enacting them often makes it worse. Take for instance the unloading and handling of firearms at the entrance. The more a firearm is manipulated, the more chances you have for something to go awry.

Norfolk's shows follow the same/similar rules.

Post imported post

I always clear mine in the truck, then pocket the magazine, reholter concealed. Then go in. My policy is "Don't ask don't tell". I got tired of the rent-a-cop pointing it at me when he checked it and dropping the slide on an empty chambertrying to FU my trigger job.
    Revelation 1911 - And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Post imported post

darthmord wrote:
    --Snip--The last time I went to the Hampton show, they had me unload my handgun, remove all magazines, empty all magazines, and then put the bullets & magazines in one baggie. The baggie had my name written on in with permanent black marker and they were only releasing the baggies if you showed your ID. No taking down of information occurred. They were just comparing the name on the ID to the name on the baggie.

The last time I went to the Hampton show they had me unload the magazine and place the bullets in the baggie, and placed my name on it. I kept the magazine, and they never asked if I had any more ammunition or magazines. The security person said they were not allowed to keep the magazine.
    Yes I carry a Bible and a Gun, your point.
    Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos (meaning: "A defence of liberty against tyrants")
    Benjamin Franklin said, "A government that does not trust it's citizens with guns is a government that should not be trusted."

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    Do you all enter the show - go up to the VSP check weapons table hot? I would presume not. I hate that I am always swept by at least my own gun when they accept it to check and zip it. :shock:

I clear before I go in (at my vehicle) so they are getting a cleared weapon to check. I have never been asked if I had any ammo on me. I did - 3 mags and one for the tube.
    In warmer weather, two mags are very visible on my belt.

Yata hey

Ialways go to the VSP table,or where ever, hot. I had considered unloading at the car prior to going in. But either way I am unloading the gun and I am positive they are getting an unloadedweapon.

Last time as I picked up the ejected round the trooper asked for it and the magazine that was in the weapon. He put them in a zip lock bag and wrote my last name on it. He did not ask if I had any spares and I did not volunteer that I did.When I leftI told him my last name and what was in it.

As far as getting swept goes, everytime I turn around thereis someone sweeping the crowd looking downa barrel :what:

Kerchaulk

Post imported post

I think we need to look into this issue.

This is a public building paid for with tax dollars. We have just as much a right to carry in there as we do any other public building such as a library, city council meeting, etc.

Just because a table is there and they are checking we are not required to stop.

Post imported post

There is no problem with carrying in the building since it is public. Although the building is public, space in itis being rented and therefore the renter (gunshow promoter)has the right to make the rules for the space they are renting in the building.

Kind of like Hooters at Waterside. Waterside is public property and I think Danbus case will prove it, but Hooters can ban firearms if they want to in the space they rent.
    Revelation 1911 - And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Post imported post

mobeewan wrote:
    There is no problem with carrying in the building since it is public. Although the building is public, space in itis being rented and therefore the renter (gunshow promoter)has the right to make the rules for the space they are renting in the building.

Kind of like Hooters at Waterside. Waterside is public property and I think Danbus case will prove it, but Hooters can ban firearms if they want to in the space they rent.
    This is where my question comes into the mix.

Can the state (or any other public entity) change the rules by leasing to a third party and calling it private? IMO no. If it is public property - state preemption applies and that would include Hooters at Waterside if Waterside is confirmed as publicly held.

This position was confirmed in Richmond where public streets where said to belong to Housing Authority and they tried to ban some people from the use of them. Don't really see the difference. Your thoughts.

Private property leased to a private business is obviously another matter but the lessor can restrict or control what the lessee does. Some terms like this are customary.

Yata hey

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

I carry concealed to the various gun shows that I attend. I buy my ticket and pass through the door. If they catch me, I guess I'll get booted out. My pistol is safer in my holster without all the fiddling around with it. It stays concealed and in my holster while I am in the gun show.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast