• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry at Hampton Gun Show?

usaf0906

imported post

i saw some posts from 2007 talking about insurance issues for the people that put on the gun show and not allowing loaded weapons.. i was wondering if this was still the case or if i would be good to carry..

either way i will be heading that way in an hour or so, any info would be helpful

hunter45

imported post

I know that at the show in Chantilly you can't have any loaded weapons. Not sure if it's the same for the show in Hampton. But I guess you could carry an unloaded gun, just for the hell of it. :)

usaf0906

imported post

i'll just carry a rock and a whistle... i wont hate myself for throwing a rock..;)

i'll see what it says, if i dont see anything about carrying, i will let you know what i find.

CRF250rider1000

imported post

They will zip tye your barrel. Stick a full mag in your pocket and have a knife with you to break the zip tye if need be. Or you can just zip tye it yourself and see where you get with that:lol:

usaf0906

imported post

ya.. no loaded weapons were allowed. on a plus side i found a nice and simple IWB holster for the rare times that i will CC. I also stopped at the VCDL booth, had a good long chat and i finally got myself a GUNS save lives button! i promptly pinned it to my shirt and walked around with it all day, i might have even convinced some of my work buddies to join up.

all in all.. great show

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

tsannicolas wrote:
wait a minute... you can't carry at a GUN SHOW??
You can carry - just not hot. Too big of a risk of ND for their insurance carrier I think.

No restriction on carrying loaded mags though. :)

Yata hey

Armed

imported post

tsannicolas wrote:
I've always thought this was pretty odd as well. I hadn't thought about the insurance excuse. A gun show has got to be one of the safest places on the planet.

tsannicolas

imported post

Armed wrote:
tsannicolas wrote:
I've always thought this was pretty odd as well. I hadn't thought about the insurance excuse. A gun show has got to be one of the safest places on the planet.
seriously

Renegade

imported post

I can not imagine how the can prohibit carry - the City of Hampton owns the property!

The City of Hampton Property Database has the following listed:

PARCEL ID: 07B008A00 0000PCB1
PARENT PARCEL ID: 07B008A00 00000PC2
LRSN: 13001172
OWNER: HAMPTON CITY OF
PROPERTYADDRESS: 1610 COLISEUM DR
GISADDRESS: 1610 COLISEUM DR
NEIGHBORHOOD: 9070
PROPERTY USE: 604 /Exempt
PLAT BOOK/PAGE: 0000/0000
MAILING ADDRESS: 22 LINCOLN ST HAMPTON VA23669
LEGAL DESCRIPTION: 1610 COLISEUM DR. PCB1. 31.8346AC

GLENGLOCKER

imported post

They made anouncements all day today saying no loaded guns due to insurance issues. Also when you get your gun zip tied they ask if you have rounds and put them in a zip lock bag with your name on it. I guess no one would buy a mag and rounds and put them together. We did do real well at the VCDL table sold plenty of stuff and signed up a bunch of new members.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

GLENGLOCKER wrote:
They made anouncements all day today saying no loaded guns due to insurance issues. Also when you get your gun zip tied they ask if you have rounds and put them in a zip lock bag with your name on it. I guess no one would buy a mag and rounds and put them together. We did do real well at the VCDL table sold plenty of stuff and signed up a bunch of new members.
To my knowledge that is a new move - and to what benefit - so they can bugger up the working end of your DPXs?

Are they warrantying the safe, proper storage of your ammo and return in the same condition to the right person? Is a receipt given?

Yata hey

2a4all

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
GLENGLOCKER wrote:
To my knowledge that is a new move - and to what benefit - so they can bugger up the working end of your DPXs?

Are they warrantying the safe, proper storage of your ammo and return in the same condition to the right person? Is a receipt given?

Yata hey
The "Bagging your bullets" business has been going on for some time. I went to my 1st gun show last spring (Hampton) and they made me bag my ammo and leave it with the security guard at the exhibit hall entrance. (I did get it back.) They were still doing this today.

Today, I went to help out at the VCDL table (which was inside the exhibit hall this time), and when I asked the person checking admissions stamps to let me in, she had to get permission from one of the exhibitor monitors. She never asked me if I was armed. I unloaded when I got to the VCDL table, and put my ammo (revolver) into an empty Altoids tin that I carry for that purpose.

One attendee at a previous show had to remove all the ammo from his double holster cowboy belt.:uhoh:

kerchaulk

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
GLENGLOCKER wrote:

Yata hey
I had to do this the last time I went to the VB Gun show. I had to leave it with the VSP Trooper.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Do you all enter the show - go up to the VSP check weapons table hot? I would presume not. I hate that I am always swept by at least my own gun when they accept it to check and zip it. :shock:

I clear before I go in (at my vehicle) so they are getting a cleared weapon to check. I have never been asked if I had any ammo on me. I did - 3 mags and one for the tube.
In warmer weather, two mags are very visible on my belt.

Yata hey

darthmord

imported post

The last time I went to the Hampton show, they had me unload my handgun, remove all magazines, empty all magazines, and then put the bullets & magazines in one baggie. The baggie had my name written on in with permanent black marker and they were only releasing the baggies if you showed your ID. No taking down of information occurred. They were just comparing the name on the ID to the name on the baggie.

My firearm, they-zip tied it... well tried to. They couldn't figure out how to lock the slide open. I sighed and had the person give it back. I locked the slide open and then zip-tied it.

I had the same observation about those zip-ties... what exactly stops someone from buying a magazine or three, ammo for the firearm, bringing/buying a small knife or clipper to cut the zip-tie and then loading up? Then again, it may just be a means for them to comply with the insurance requirements because they have to. The fault may not lie with show itself.

Feel good safety measures don't improve the situation. Enacting them often makes it worse. Take for instance the unloading and handling of firearms at the entrance. The more a firearm is manipulated, the more chances you have for something to go awry.

Norfolk's shows follow the same/similar rules.

mobeewan

imported post

I always clear mine in the truck, then pocket the magazine, reholter concealed. Then go in. My policy is "Don't ask don't tell". I got tired of the rent-a-cop pointing it at me when he checked it and dropping the slide on an empty chambertrying to FU my trigger job.

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
imported post

darthmord wrote:
--Snip--The last time I went to the Hampton show, they had me unload my handgun, remove all magazines, empty all magazines, and then put the bullets & magazines in one baggie. The baggie had my name written on in with permanent black marker and they were only releasing the baggies if you showed your ID. No taking down of information occurred. They were just comparing the name on the ID to the name on the baggie.
The last time I went to the Hampton show they had me unload the magazine and place the bullets in the baggie, and placed my name on it. I kept the magazine, and they never asked if I had any more ammunition or magazines. The security person said they were not allowed to keep the magazine.