• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry at Hampton Gun Show?

kerchaulk

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Do you all enter the show - go up to the VSP check weapons table hot? I would presume not. I hate that I am always swept by at least my own gun when they accept it to check and zip it. :shock:

I clear before I go in (at my vehicle) so they are getting a cleared weapon to check. I have never been asked if I had any ammo on me. I did - 3 mags and one for the tube.
In warmer weather, two mags are very visible on my belt.

Yata hey

Ialways go to the VSP table,or where ever, hot. I had considered unloading at the car prior to going in. But either way I am unloading the gun and I am positive they are getting an unloadedweapon.

Last time as I picked up the ejected round the trooper asked for it and the magazine that was in the weapon. He put them in a zip lock bag and wrote my last name on it. He did not ask if I had any spares and I did not volunteer that I did.When I leftI told him my last name and what was in it.

As far as getting swept goes, everytime I turn around thereis someone sweeping the crowd looking downa barrel :what:

Kerchaulk

Renegade

imported post

I think we need to look into this issue.

This is a public building paid for with tax dollars. We have just as much a right to carry in there as we do any other public building such as a library, city council meeting, etc.

Just because a table is there and they are checking we are not required to stop.

mobeewan

imported post

There is no problem with carrying in the building since it is public. Although the building is public, space in itis being rented and therefore the renter (gunshow promoter)has the right to make the rules for the space they are renting in the building.

Kind of like Hooters at Waterside. Waterside is public property and I think Danbus case will prove it, but Hooters can ban firearms if they want to in the space they rent.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

mobeewan wrote:
There is no problem with carrying in the building since it is public. Although the building is public, space in itis being rented and therefore the renter (gunshow promoter)has the right to make the rules for the space they are renting in the building.

Kind of like Hooters at Waterside. Waterside is public property and I think Danbus case will prove it, but Hooters can ban firearms if they want to in the space they rent.
This is where my question comes into the mix.

Can the state (or any other public entity) change the rules by leasing to a third party and calling it private? IMO no. If it is public property - state preemption applies and that would include Hooters at Waterside if Waterside is confirmed as publicly held.

This position was confirmed in Richmond where public streets where said to belong to Housing Authority and they tried to ban some people from the use of them. Don't really see the difference. Your thoughts.

Private property leased to a private business is obviously another matter but the lessor can restrict or control what the lessee does. Some terms like this are customary.

Yata hey

kaiheitai17

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I carry concealed to the various gun shows that I attend. I buy my ticket and pass through the door. If they catch me, I guess I'll get booted out. My pistol is safer in my holster without all the fiddling around with it. It stays concealed and in my holster while I am in the gun show.