• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Caliber Question

Dustin

imported post

sheepdog wrote:
...I surely hope we didn't ruin your day completely...by discussing closely related points going back to the poster's original premise...your need to raise your voice to berate all of us comes from________ ????? You sound like an ex-wife...maybe you should chill out a bit.....If you don't like the discussion, the logical thing would be not to participate...not to repeatedly make snide, insulting remarks to those enjoying a good time....unless, of course, it's your very own thread.....

The problem is it's common for folks here to CONSTANTLY go OFF topic on every topic. The OP doesn't give a crap about what caliber does what. Which is why he SPECIFICALLY stated again that;

Walkeraviator wrote:
Again, not a debate on which is teh better round, just a judgement on the recoil between the 2 in a sub-compact world.

You guys went off topic b/c you didn't pay attention and read all the post. Like usual, starting yet another pointless debate/argument over something that wasn't the intention of the OP to begin with. Not my fault. I just don't want to see it get out of control b/c of it, like 80% of the topics here. Arguing about something that has nothing to do with the OP.

Walkeraviator

Louisville, Commonwealth of Kentucky, , USA
imported post

I gotta tell you guys, I have had this beauty a week now and cant get teh friggin range to try it out... i am dying over here. Not to mention, buying some cheap plinking ammo has been quite the challenge, as my normal wal-mart winchester WB ammo is sold out everywhere.

I ended up buying Blazers. Anyone ever had troubles with the aluminum casings?

CrossFire

imported post

No trouble really. Just make sure you clean the gun very well after using Blazer. The polymer coating on the aluminum casings is difficult to remove.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Walkeraviator wrote:
I gotta tell you guys, I have had this beauty a week now and cant get teh friggin range to try it out... i am dying over here. Not to mention, buying some cheap plinking ammo has been quite the challenge, as my normal wal-mart winchester WB ammo is sold out everywhere.

Aluminium casings can "stick" from time to time. Clean the firearm well after using them, as the coating does case problems as crossfire pointed out.

Just so you will know. It is not the longer barrel that causes less felt recoil, it is the increased weight of the longer barrel. SO it is possible in say a revolver to have a 3" barrel with a full under lug, and have the same felt recoil as a 6 inch barrel without the under lug. It is all about Mass, as the amount of energy in the system with the gun fires is the same for any given caliber.

The other issue that helps a lot is lowering the hight of the barrel in relation to the shooting hand. The lower the barrel is the less leverage the gun has for muzzle flip when fired. In your case a shorter barrel will put more weight in your hand and less out in front and you will feel more "flip" action when you shoot.

Dustin

imported post

Walkeraviator wrote:

I firmly believe that a well lubed, clean weapon, will eat anything. I know folks who ONLY shoot Blazer for practice.

The only ammo I've really heard ALOT of negative about is Wolf Ammo. Then again, I'm sure there'sa positive user out there too.

Legba

imported post

I've had an aluminum casing split and get stuck in the barrel before (had to hammer it out with a screwdriver). I don't use them any more. I've also had expensive guns that wouldn't take various kinds of hollow-point ammo, despite any amount of polishing the ramp and tweaking the magazine. Surprisingly, I've never had problems with Wolf, even though it's the ammo most often complained about.

-ljp

sheepdog

imported post

...stayin' on topic is the hardest thing to do...tangents just abound and pop up everywhere...the most important thing is everyone enjoying the discussion...and most of us were doin' that....till you got our whozits in a vise....that does make it personal....live and let live....let the mods decide if we're too far off topic, and you'll have more fun here....

Dustin

imported post

sheepdog wrote:
...stayin' on topic is the hardest thing to do...tangents just abound and pop up everywhere...the most important thing is everyone enjoying the discussion...and most of us were doin' that....till you got our whozits in a vise....that does make it personal....live and let live....let the mods decide if we're too far off topic, and you'll have more fun here....

Another problem is that there is NO mods. Only Mike and Pierce who aren't around much at all. So we have to police our own kinda.

I'm a MoD for about other sites, so I'm used to moving,merging,closing topics all day. I get them all in order then come here and it's like a nightmare of unorganized BS LOL !

Oh well you made the right point, in red.

sheepdog

imported post

...nope, and I went from "shoot anywhere, anytime" to don't shoot here overnight...I have one place I can go 45 miiles one way...one place 60 miles the other...folks here have had their cows shot too much...major withdrawal...indoor range in town $13 per visit...lots of the places I used to shoot are covered with businesses now...time marches on.......

Dustin

imported post

sheepdog wrote:
...nope, and I went from "shoot anywhere, anytime" to don't shoot here overnight...I have one place I can go 45 miiles one way...one place 60 miles the other...folks here have had their cows shot too much...major withdrawal...indoor range in town $13 per visit...lots of the places I used to shoot are covered with businesses now...time marches on.......

I sure do enjoy shooting in my backyard at my own little range I set up.

jbone

imported post

Saddly never fired a .40,I picked up the M&P9c and love it.

Rob_B

imported post

Walkeraviator wrote:
*snip*

I also considered a Bersa thunder 380. Now dont laugh. I put a couple hundred rounds through my Dads and fell in love with it. And at the price it was better than the 2x as expensive PPK/S.
Why would anyone laugh? I have a Bersa .380, and it's a great little gun.

JB-Indiana

imported post

IMO, you'll be fine with the .40 S&W. But as with ANY handgun with ANY caliber, you have to practice with some sort of regularity to be proficient with it.

Getting a 9mm instead of a .40 will NOT "automatically" make you a better shooter.