• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Disturbing Finding At My FFL Yesterday

adamsesq

imported post

So I have been working with this "new" Oregon FFL who is trying to build his business and found something VERY disturbing to me yesterday.

When the BATF sent him his "packet" of goodies they sent him a receipt type book and told him that he has to (in addition to the NICS form and calling the state police for clearance) send a record of all firearms transferred (name of buyer, model and serial number) to his local law enforcement official - in this case Washington County.

I have never heard of such a thing and in fact I question whether this complies with Oregon law. Any ideas on this?

-adamsesq

Cremator75

imported post

The last gun I bought, I was told they they had to keep the paperwork for 7 years. He said nothing about sending anything to the police.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

adamsesq wrote:
So I have been working with this "new" Oregon FFL who is trying to build his business and found something VERY disturbing to me yesterday.

When the BATF sent him his "packet" of goodies they sent him a receipt type book and told him that he has to (in addition to the NICS form and calling the state police for clearance) send a record of all firearms transferred (name of buyer, model and serial number) to his local law enforcement official - in this case Washington County.

I have never heard of such a thing and in fact I question whether this complies with Oregon law. Any ideas on this?

-adamsesq
Registration!! Under what federal law or rule do the make such a request/demand? :cuss:

Yata hey

adamsesq

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Don't know, but it might be for this:

166.427 Register of transfers of used firearms.[/b] (1) Whenever a person engaged in the business, as defined in 18 U.S.C. 921, of selling, leasing or otherwise transferring a firearm, whether the person is a retail dealer, pawnbroker or otherwise, buys or accepts in trade, a used firearm, the person shall enter in a register the time, date and place of purchase or trade, the name of the person selling or trading the firearm, the number of the identification documentation presented by the person and the make, model and manufacturer’s number of the firearm. The register shall be obtained from and furnished by the Department of State Police to the dealer on application at cost.[/b] (2) The duplicate sheet of the register shall, on the day of purchase or trade, be hand delivered or mailed to the local law enforcement authority.
(3) Violation of this section by any person engaged in the business of selling, leasing or otherwise transferring a firearm is a Class C misdemeanor. [1989 c.839 §16; 1993 c.4 §3; 2001 c.539 §12]

That is the statute that keeps coming up for Oregon but I have two problems with the above being the answer:

1) I am not sure that doing the transfer for someone else to me triggers the above because the FFL is not buying or accepting in trade the firearm; and

2) The form I was looking at is a BATF form, not an Oregon form and I have talked with other FFLs in other states that have the same form and do the same thing.

Still investigating this I am.

-adamsesq

adamsesq

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
The statute I posted was the only statute I could find that even remotely suggested such a procedure and there is no Federal law requiring that. If you could post the form number, maybe we could look up what that form is used for.

Like I said, working on that. I have to wait for one of the FFLs I am communicating with to come back to me with the form number. I have also asked for a scan but that might be too much to ask them to do as I am finding that the couple I have spoke with are not at all happy about the word "getting out" that they have to do this.

-adamsesq

rogerl

imported post

Nope, that is BS, the only time a transfer needs to be sent to SO is multiple handgun form, 2 or more handguns within 1 week. I don't have the form number right now, I am in Afghanistan for a while.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

adamsesq wrote:
Like I said, working on that. I have to wait for one of the FFLs I am communicating with to come back to me with the form number. I have also asked for a scan but that might be too much to ask them to do as I am finding that the couple I have spoke with are not at all happy about the word "getting out" that they have to do this.

-adamsesq
Too bad. They shouldn't be hiding stuff from potential buyers.

PoppaGary

imported post

adamsesq wrote:
1) I am not sure that doing the transfer for someone else to me triggers the above because the FFL is not buying or accepting in trade the firearm;

I believe that if you use a FFL to facilitate a sale, a transfer, that technically the firearm gets transferred to the FFL and then to the other party so for brief millisecond, on paper at least (and in the twisted thinking of the GOV) the FFL has possession of the firearm. BS anyway, but they are going to try and keep tabs on all us evil gun owners. I wouldLOVE to have some of the same "common sense" laws that govern firearm transactions, use and possession carried over to the everyday itemsmoreof the general public uses to see how they like it.

Could you imagine having to go through a car dealer to sell your vehicles? Or, my fav, having to get different driver licenses for each or several states! We could go on and on and while I'm not advocating for more GOV intrusion, it would help at least some of the general public see things from our point of view.

We really need to ratchet things up a notch as we are being discriminated in ways that other civil rights would never be tolerated.

Gary

Jenshubby

imported post

I know that if you have C&R you have to fill out a BATF form to transfer, but I don't remember the form number or procedure (as I don't have my C&R yet)

Thundar

imported post

Jenshubby wrote:
I know that if you have C&R you have to fill out a BATF form to transfer, but I don't remember the form number or procedure (as I don't have my C&R yet)
An FFL III (C&R)mustdeliver a signed copy of their FFL to the transferor. You must record all C&R aquisitions and dispositions in your bound book.