• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Flintlock Tom goes UOC in San Diego

flintlock tom

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

So I decided it was time.
Springfield Armory 1911 A1, GI model in a Serpa Blackhawk holster and two loaded mags in a SafariLand double leather pouch. Holster on the right, mags on the left.
Mrs. Flintlock and I went to the Costco in Mission Valley this morning. Digital voice recorder: check, witness: check, open carry brochures: check.

We spent maybe 45 minutes to an hour shopping with not even a raised eyebrow. We checked out at one of the center checkers, where the floor managers hang out, again no problem. As far as I could tell no one even noticed.
On the way home we stopped at a drug store that was near a school so I left my sidearm in the car (Center-of-Mass lockbox), but wore the empty holster and mag pouch on my belt. Again no questions.
Later we went to the library in Mira Mesa that is near Mira Mesa High School so I left it in the car again.
Next we stopped at Game Empire on Clairemont Mesa Blvd. When making our purchase I think the checker noticed the sidearm but didn't say anything. Then we went across the street to Arby's Roast Beef for lunch. Again, I couldn't tell if anyone noticed but no one said a word.

So far, so good. This is fun.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

flintlock tom wrote:
Mrs. Flintlock and I went to the Costco in Mission Valley this morning. Digital voice recorder: check, witness: check, open carry brochures: check.

Nice selection of targets. Costco is notably anti-gun and you apparently passed their attention or their sniff test. CA_Libertarianwas asked to leave IIRC in one of his outings....

Pleased you enjoyed your first steps of armed freedom.

chrsjhnsn

imported post

nyc_paramedic wrote:
Umm, please enlighten me. It's legal to open carry in the state of California? I have a brother who lives in San Diego; would love to open carry when visiting from New York.

Where can I find up to date info? Is there a printable flyer?

Edit: I juts found http://www.californiaopencarry.org/. Holy cow. I had no idea...
UNLOADED open carry, good luck.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
...Costco is notably anti-gun and you apparently passed their attention or their sniff test. CA_Libertarianwas asked to leave IIRC in one of his outings....
Yes, the Costco in Turlock. I had shopped in there armed at least twice before without issue. I contacted the store manager and asked for an explanation, and he said it was corporate policy. When I asked for a corporate contact, he said he would get back to me (and never did). Instead of wasting my time trying to prove a point, I simply don't give them my money anymore. There's a WinCo Foods just as close by; they have similar products, and they don't charge a membership fee. (To be fair, I haven't UOCed there yet, as I've been taking a break from activism recently.)

flintlock tom

imported post

Sitting in Starbucks waiting for my son to finish a church function. A dozen people in and out all evening with no one seemingly noticing a guy sitting there with a gun on his hip.
Maybe it's 'cause I'm drinking cocoa instead of coffee.

Oh, well.

flintlock tom

imported post

Up near Ranch Bernardo. The Starbucks on Camino del Norte and Dove Canyon Rd.
There are a couple dance studios and karate schools in that strip mall so there are kids and parents all over the place. I'm glad they didn't view me as a threat.

flintlock tom

imported post

This is probably going to get boring real fast.
Today: Open Carried at Lowes hardware, looking for a replacement belt for our dryer. At Fry's Electronics for a cable, blah, blah, blah. At SoCal Guns just checking out the selection.
No one Noticed/Commented/Screamed.

I think I will just post if something significant happens like police contact, asked to leave a store, etc.

American Rattlesnake

imported post

flintlock tom wrote:
I think I will just post if something significant happens like police contact, asked to leave a store, etc.
Actually, with all due respect, it is probably helpful for others to hear of the uneventful outings. Helps folks who are on the fence about carrying, themselves, to remember that not everyone freaks out.

I know that I enjoy reading of your "boring" outings! Means y'all are making progress down there.

Best,
AR

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Well, I don't know anyone that OC's for the excitement. I have more fun playing Call of Duty 4 than I do OC...but maybe that is just me.

I will tell you though that frommy experience when I took down my OC experiences many people noticed as I was a source of motivation for them.

Keep posting and keep on top of it. Eventually something will happen, and when it does be ready.

bigtoe416

imported post

Totally agreed. Hearing the details about various members on this board when seemingly nothing happens does two things. It lets visitors see how many people are doing this on a regular basis and it records a running tally of how accepted OCing is in various cities.

flintlock tom

imported post

American Rattlesnake wrote:
flintlock tom wrote:
Actually, with all due respect, it is probably helpful for others to hear of the uneventful outings. Helps folks who are on the fence about carrying, themselves, to remember that not everyone freaks out.

I know that I enjoy reading of your "boring" outings! Means y'all are making progress down there.

Best,
AR
Well, thank you, Rattlesnake, I appreciate the encouragement. And the comments of Theseus and Bigtoe have convinced me to continue boring you guys.

This is so new to me that it's still really distracting. I find myself continually conscious of who is around me, if they can see my sidearm, which way I turn and how exposed the firearm is.
In Fry's I had to ask an associate where the cable was that I needed. He made eye contact and walked with me over to the right area. We stood and talked for a minute then he walked away. He didn't notice the sidearm.
In line, checking out, the guy behind me could not have missed it but he didn't say anything. The associate, who stands at the head of the line and directs you to the next checker, stared at my belt as I walked by, but, again, no screaming or fainting. ;) I also saw the cashier look at the holster but I don't think she realized what it was.
At SoCal guns, it was really busy. Remember this is early Friday afternoon. I was really surprised that so many men were out of work. I looked carefully around the front door for any notices about how to carry a gun in the store but saw nothing.
They always have a great selection of used guns and MilSurp. Several people noticed I was carrying but said nothing.
Yesterday I was by myself, but usually my wife is with me. I'm thinking that people tend to see an older couple holding hands as being very non-threatening. This may be one reason they do not notice or if they do notice consider it non-threatening.
Also, I carry a leather folio with the UOC Brochures and the SDPD training memo. It has been my experience that people are programmed to see a person with a clipboard as someone in authority. So this visual cue may lead them to, subconsciously, assume that I am more than simply a law-abiding citizen exercise his rights.
Last night Mrs. Flintlock and I went into Wal-Mart, Best Buy and Sears Essentials and had the same result. I had to thank and praise my wife for being willing to put up with my "political activism". She pointed out that we had been married almost 30 years and she trusts that I am doing the right thing.
I am truly blessed.
As Pullnshoot likes to say:

Carry on.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

flintlock tom wrote:
This is so new to me that it's still really distracting. I find myself continually conscious of who is around me, if they can see my sidearm, which way I turn and how exposed the firearm is.

It seems that it is only distracting for you, as those who are around you are either oblivious to your natural state of being armed or accept your readiness so completely that they are not prepared to question you about it.

If you are 'continually conscious' of those who are in close proximity to you and your firearm, you are experiencing the heightened situational awareness that seems to go hand in glove with open carrying. You are no longer a passive or casual observer- no longer in condition white. This is an incredibly good thing, as I believe when we are unarmed or carrying concealed we do not pay close enough attention to our surroundings and those around us- this favors the criminal element. When we project both strength and alertness, we deter bad action by those who seek weak, indefensable targets.

Keep your head on a swivel- and welcome to condition yellow...

flintlock tom

imported post

Okay, add to the list The Container Store, Target and Michael's(Craft supply).
After church today I went into Panda Express to pick up lunch for the family. One other customer openly stared and the counter girl looked at it but, again, no one said, or asked, anything.
Yesterday my wife and I stopped into Rubios for lunch (two fish tacos each). No problems. One or two people noticed, but no one dialed 911. Very positive.

cato

imported post

The calls to 911 will come when some antis begin to realize what their seeing and will thenuse the police to harass lawful carriers.

artworkby oleg volk: