Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Miranda rights in idaho

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Boise, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    12

    Post imported post

    Ok i've got a question for all the people out there with far better search button experience. In the two times I've been arrested the police officer never read me my rights. Now my question is do they have to? I've always been told they don't. But I just wanted to clarify.

  2. #2
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766

    Post imported post

    Tylerc wrote:
    Ok i've got a question for all the people out there with far better search button experience. In the two times I've been arrested the police officer never read me my rights. Now my question is do they have to? I've always been told they don't. But I just wanted to clarify.
    Start here: http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/htm...4_0436_ZO.html
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Boise, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    12

    Post imported post

    thanks

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    12

    Post imported post

    The short answer is: Miranda applies if you are detained or under arrest and the officer is conducting an interview reference the alleged crime. If you are not interviewed/interogated Miranda does not apply. If your are interviewed outside of Miranda that is fruit ofthe poision tree and not admissable in court. See Miranda vs Arizona. Beware of excited utterances or spontanious admissions.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Alabama, ,
    Posts
    1,338

    Post imported post

    Isn't asking for my drivers license investigating/ interviewing?
    I was shocked the only time I was arrested that I wasn't mirandized,
    I was so estatic of haveing a constitutional defense in court, then they
    dropped all charges befor I even saw the judge.

    I'm just glad the jailer never noticed I had no tax stamps on my cigarettes when I was booked.


  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Boise, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    12

    Post imported post

    cool that explains alot. I was just wondering about this and needed some clarification on the subject so i could add it to my knowledge base of interesting stuff

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Nampa, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    38

    Post imported post

    It is my understanding that statements made spontaneously to LE are allowed in court without miranda.

    After being involved in the just(us)e system I think it is best to say in virtually all circumstances "I want my lawyer" and say no more

  8. #8
    Regular Member shad0wfax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Spokane, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,067

    Post imported post

    4liberty wrote:
    It is my understanding that statements made spontaneously to LE are allowed in court without miranda.

    After being involved in the just(us)e system I think it is best to say in virtually all circumstances "I want my lawyer" and say no more
    +1 This is excellent advice.

    I learned alot from these videos (which have been posted previously in these forums):

    Don't talk to the Police Part 1

    Don't talk to the Police Part 2

    "Am I being detained?"

    • No: "Then I will go about my lawful business." *Walk away.*
    • Yes: "What is yourReasonable Articulable Suspicion that I have committed, am committing, or am about to commit a crime."
      • If they have no RAS: "Then I will go about my lawful business." *Walk away.*
      • If they do have RAS: "I have nothing to say withoutmy attorney present." *Comply and prepare to be arrested. Place a call to the attorney before they take the cell-phone away.*
        • Arrest: "I Have nothing to say withoutmy attorney present." *Comply silently.*

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Nampa, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    38

    Post imported post

    Excellent!
    Breifly: shut up, lawyer up.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Boise, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    240

    Post imported post

    People tend to panic when faced with the threat of arrest (weather it's legal or illegal) and wind up talking when they shouldn't, especially if it's their first time.

    Be Strong, stand your ground and remain quiet, but don't resist arrest.

    Many people panic when arrested, or faced with the possibility of being locked up, in most cases, if it's your first time, you'll be out on O.R. (own recognizance) in 8-72 hours, so don't panic. get a lawyer. and don't say a thing. the more you talk, the more you help THEM make a case against you. bottom line, Don't fear being arrested, it's not as bad as you might think it is.



  11. #11
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766

    Post imported post

    Tylerc wrote:
    cool that explains alot. I was just wondering about this and needed some clarification on the subject so i could add it to my store ofvital stuff that is absolutely essential to know well enough to use.
    There, fixed it for ya.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    3

    Post imported post

    I suppose if you commited a crime then you shouldn't talk. However, think of this scenario where the antil LE people can cost themselves a lot of time and money.

    A bystander calls 911 because she observed you point your gun at a person near your vehicle. The person quickly walks away, and an Officer detains you. Yes you are under suspicion of an aggravated assault or similar crime. You invoke your right to remain silent, and go to jail.

    The reality - A person attempted to carjack you, but you defended yourself by producing your firearm, and the person decided to find someone else to mess with. Because you didn't talk you ended up in jail.

    Mostcops have decent common sense. A few bad ones are around, butIf you didn't do anything wrong then talk, and you will likely walk away.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , California, USA
    Posts
    560

    Post imported post

    Then again, you might come across one of those bad apples. Heck, you could come across a good apple, but express yourself poorly and wind up in jail awaiting trial-having incriminating statements on record. You might find this video an interesting watch. It's about half an hour, but it's fascinating if you have any interest in the subject, which is a law professor and retired police officer orating on the subject that people-especially the innocent-should never talk to the police.

    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...02514885833865

    It's not new, but if anyone hasn't seen it, I suggest they make the time to watch it.

    Edit: That's actually only the first half, with the law professor speaking. Here is the last half, where the police officer speaks: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...5912&hl=en

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Alabama, ,
    Posts
    1,338

    Post imported post

    Idaho Born wrote:
    A bystander calls 911 because she observed you point your gun at a person near your vehicle. The person quickly walks away, and an Officer detains you. Yes you are under suspicion of an aggravated assault or similar crime. You invoke your right to remain silent, and go to jail.
    Why are you still there waiting to see if a cop will show up after an
    attempted carjacking? You go mobile, and report the crime, not hang
    around the obviously bad area.
    Then the cops will have a discription of the thug to go with the other callers
    911 report.
    You can give the 911 operator a description on the phone, there is no reason to
    repeat yourself if you are pulled over. Unless you are wearing the same thing,
    then you might want to show ID that you are the cars owner, not the successful
    carjacker.

    But other than, the 911 tapes have the description, I see nothing else to say.



  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Nampa, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    38

    Post imported post

    @ Idaho born

    Talk all you want and maybe you will be okay in your given situation. But say nothing, go to jail and get a lawyer you will for sure be okay (not convicted of a crime)

    I have seen criminals who have been caught almost red handed get off because they "shut up and lawyered up"

  16. #16
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    340

    Post imported post

    Idaho Born wrote:
    I suppose if you commited a crime then you shouldn't talk. However, think of this scenario where the antil LE people can cost themselves a lot of time and money.

    A bystander calls 911 because she observed you point your gun at a person near your vehicle. The person quickly walks away, and an Officer detains you. Yes you are under suspicion of an aggravated assault or similar crime. You invoke your right to remain silent, and go to jail.

    The reality - A person attempted to carjack you, but you defended yourself by producing your firearm, and the person decided to find someone else to mess with. Because you didn't talk you ended up in jail.

    Mostcops have decent common sense. A few bad ones are around, butIf you didn't do anything wrong then talk, and you will likely walk away.
    says every cop I know.

    Reality is if your head is clear enough give the basics of "I was in fear for my life, he tried to kill me" (only if it's true)... then shut up after informing the officer that they'll understand if you don't say more. Any cop worth his badge will understand the citizen's point of view and put two and two together from the evidence (or lack). When in doubt you assume innocence.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    In the woods, ,
    Posts
    12

    Post imported post

    shad0wfax wrote:
    4liberty wrote:

    +1 This is excellent advice.

    I learned alot from these videos (which have been posted previously in these forums):

    Don't talk to the Police Part 1

    Don't talk to the Police Part 2
    Excellent videos. Every citizen should watch them.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    20

    Post imported post

    I learned first hand NEVER NEVER NEVER talk to the police even if you don't think you are going to be arrested for anything. If you didn't do anything illegal then let the courts work it out. Does not matter one bit if you have been Mirandized.

    Anything you say before arrest is outside Miranda, but if it's on tape it can be used in court, because you "voluntarily" gave the information. That includes if you thought by saying something you could explain or talk yourself out of being arrested. Probably more like you'll end up talking your way into being arrested.

    Give them your name, driver's license if required, and that's it. Just keep your mouth shut. If they arrest you spend the night in jail, get out in the morning on bond, then fight the charges tooth and nail with attorney in hand. You do not want to give the police or prosecution any evidence at all that helps with their case.

    If you didn't do anything you can talk your way into evidence that could show you did. Then it's up to the jury. And from second hand knowledge (my wife served on a gun case, she hung the jury) jurors are stupid.

    If it doesn't go to trial it reduces the chances of getting charges reduced to something else just to get out of having to face a jury of idiots.

    Even if I call them my rule now is to say "I just got you here, you sort it out".

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •