• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

first time open carrying!!!

hammer6

imported post

so i was traveling from florida to arizona, and i couldn't wait until i got to new mexico. i CC'd the whole way, but when i crossed over the state line going into las cruces, that's when the "fun" began..(so to speak).

when i crossed the line to arizona, i stopped near tuscon, and went to a texaco, and this was like 12am. i walked in, and the guy said nothin, he glanced at it, but didn't say anything. and i walked out and left.

that was friday night- today, i realized i forgot my phone charger when i stopped at a buddies in dallas. so i had to go to walmart. i'm in yuma, i went to the walmart on i8 off exit 7 or something. anwyays...as i'm walkin from my car with my buddy, i hear a guy 1 go "yeah he does!" and his friend, guy 2, goes "no he doesn't". guy one then says, "yes he does, i'm lookin at right now. it's on his hip, it's not even covered!" guy 2 is like, "yeah i guess he does" and they walked to their car. went in and got my charger, and a couple people looked at me, but didn't say anything. then i got in line to pay, and the girl was very polite. i don't think she noticed because i was behind that wall part. but when m buddy was payin for his stuff, i stepped towards the bags, and we were all still talkin, and she looked at my, and then at my XD 40, and then back at me, and goes, "soo...are you border patrol or a cop?" and i'm like, "neither". and she's like, "really? your not?" i'm like, "yeah". so she goes, "well, then what are you?" and i said, "i'm just a civillian." and she's like, "really? wow." i said, "yeah, in arizona it's legal for me to carry this." and then she said, "oh wow, you learn somethin new every day." and we said bye and that was it.

that was it. good experience. i wasn't sweatin or anything like i was when i did it the first time in new mexico. great experience! i'm glad i got to "visucate" the public!!!

NMGunIt

imported post

hammer6 wrote:
so i was traveling from florida to arizona, and i couldn't wait until i got to new mexico. i CC'd the whole way, but when i crossed over the state line going into las cruces, that's when the "fun" began..(so to speak).

---Snip
Snip---

then when i crossed the line to arizona, i stopped near tuscon, and went to a texaco, and this was like 12am. i walked in, and the guy said nothin, he glanced at it, but didn't say anything. and i walked out and left.

that was friday night- today, i realized i forgot my phone charger when i stopped at a buddies in dallas. so i had to go to walmart. i'm in yuma, i went to the walmart on i8 off exit 7 or something. anwyays...as i'm walkin from my car with my buddy, i hear a guy 1 go "yeah he does!" and his friend, guy 2, goes "no he doesn't". guy one then says, "yes he does, i'm lookin at right now. it's on his hip, it's not even covered!" guy 2 is like, "yeah i guess he does" and they walked to their car. went in and got my charger, and a couple people looked at me, but didn't say anything. then i got in line to pay, and the girl was very polite. i don't think she noticed because i was behind that wall part. but when m buddy was payin for his stuff, i stepped towards the bags, and we were all still talkin, and she looked at my, and then at my XD 40, and then back at me, and goes, "soo...are you border patrol or a cop?" and i'm like, "neither". and she's like, "really? your not?" i'm like, "yeah". so she goes, "well, then what are you?" and i said, "i'm just a civillian." and she's like, "really? wow." i said, "yeah, in arizona it's legal for me to carry this." and then she said, "oh wow, you learn somethin new every day." and we said bye and that was it.

that was it. good experience. i wasn't sweatin or anything like i was when i did it the first time in new mexico. great experience! i'm glad i got to "visucate" the public!!!
Welcome to New Mexico (if only for a little while). I think I know which area of town you are talking about, and if so, then the convenience store you are talking about sells beer for consumption off premises. Open carry in any establishment licensed to sell alcohol is a BIG NO NO (as in Felony).

[align=justify]30-7-3. Unlawful carrying of a firearm in licensed liquor establishments.
[/align]See particularly, section A4 and B. I would paste text but can't seem to get it to show up in the post as it is in the source.

Glad you didn't get caught.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

When 'stopping off' in any gas station or mini-mart, truck stop'n such whenI travel thru NM I 'leave the gun in the truck'. I have no idea if they're sellin' booze or what... on/off or whatever beforehand. It's the 'law' there and it's enforced. My 'opinion' don't count. It's the law. It's just a thing ya do in New Mexico... same as rememberin' to cover up in Texas.

Nitrox314

imported post

Heck, the chuckie cheese's here sell alcohol for on-site consumption, so you cannot OC there either. This state's laws are kinda rediculous, but of course with all the crime, maybe its not so bad after all. In WA we could OC anywhere that was not prohibited by age requirements (21 and above). In a restaurant you just couldn't go into the bar section.

But glad you got to experience OC here. Next time you are traveling across state, ask someone from that forum on the laws because you never know what the current laws are. I tried finding them online when I moved here and that was difficult so I asked these guys on the exact rules.

packin_NC_79

imported post

I O.C. here practically everywhere I go. I try to steer clear of Wal-Mart(due to alcohol sales) as much as possible, and conceal when I have to go in(I do this wherever I am not familiar with). I have made a point to find out who sales alcohol and who does not and I just don't stop where I know alcohol is involved. I have only had a handful of people ask what I carry and such with no negative reactions so far. I am sure there are some anti's here in Silver, but I have not had any MWAG calls or anything yet. I did have a sheriffs deputy come by the house the other day to take a report on my mailbox being stolen(BTW, Not a federal crime according to the postmaster) and though he noticed it, said nothing and was as courteous and professional as he would have otherwise been. If LEO's and others see that we are not the BG's, I believe that O.C. will be less stigmatized and more commonly accepted among them and the general public.

Also remember, in NM, in regards to alchohol,
Off-site consumption with CCW = must conceal
Off-site consumption w/o CCW = NO CARRY
On-site consumption = NO CARRY, CCW or not

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

chrsjhnsn wrote:
dang, that stinks.
In N.V you can carry in bars and almost everywhere else.
Yes it does, and this is such a STUPID law in NM. When is this going to get repealed?!