• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I'm driving from Fairfax, VA to Hagerstown, MD for a class

tsannicolas

imported post

What do I have to do to my handgun to stay legal while driving through the Republik?

Also, where can I find an easy to read [see: understand] site that explains what I have to do whilst traveling across state lines.

Also, I have a VA CHP if that helps

Thanks everyone, you're all so amazingly helpful. Even when the same question is asked over and over again, ya'll are very patient.

nova

imported post

tsannicolas wrote:
What do I have to do to my handgun to stay legal while driving through the Republik?
Leave it at home.

Also, where can I find an easy to read [see: understand] site that explains what I have to do whilst traveling across state lines.
While traveling across state lines, the firearm must be unloaded (empty chamber, no magazine anywhere near the gun, all ammo separated from gun) and put in the trunk of the vehicle. If no trunk, then as far away from any passengers/driver as possible.

It doesn't.

Thanks everyone, you're all so amazingly helpful. Even when the same question is asked over and over again, ya'll are very patient.

DHCruiser

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have to travel into Maryland to visit family occasionally. My understanding is the firearm must be unloaded and the magazines unloaded as well. The ammunition must be stored separately from the firearm. Maryland considers a single round in a magazine as a loaded weapon.

I'm not an expert, just my understanding.

Edit to add: http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/maryland.pdf

tsannicolas

imported post

DHCruiser wrote:
I have to travel into Maryland to visit family occasionally. My understanding is the firearm must be unloaded and the magazines unloaded as well. The ammunition must be stored separately from the firearm. Maryland considers a single round in a magazine as a loaded weapon.

I'm not an expert, just my understanding.
so, can i just put it in my hard case with a magazine in the gun? and just put that in the hatch area?

tsannicolas

imported post

nova wrote:
tsannicolas wrote:
Leave it at home.

While traveling across state lines, the firearm must be unloaded (empty chamber, no magazine anywhere near the gun, all ammo separated from gun) and put in the trunk of the vehicle. If no trunk, then as far away from any passengers/driver as possible.

It doesn't.

first off, thanks for the response.

1) i would never leave it at home.
2) got it and thanks

packingdressagerider

Some where in Rockbridge County, Virginia, USA
imported post

tsannicolas wrote:

I'm surprised that you can't take your class over the Internet.

tsannicolas

imported post

packingdressagerider wrote:
tsannicolas wrote:

:question:

nova

imported post

tsannicolas wrote:
nova wrote:
tsannicolas wrote:
Leave it at home.

It doesn't.

first off, thanks for the response.

1) i would never leave it at home.
2) got it and thanks
Well I agree. I wouldn't leave it at home myself, but then again I try to avoid going to MD at all :lol:

nova

imported post

OK here's my real (and more helpful) answer:

CARRYING AND TRANSPORTATION IN VEHICLES
Rifles and shotguns being transported in motor vehicles must be unloaded.

It is a crime to wear or carry openly any rifle or shotgun with the intent or purpose of unlawfully injuring any person.

It is unlawful for any person without a permit to wear or carry a handgun, openly or concealed, upon or about his person, or to knowingly transport a handgun in any vehicle traveling on public roads, highways, waterways or airways or upon roads or parking lots generally used by the public. This does not apply to any person wearing, carrying or transporting a handgun within the confines of real estate owned or leased by him, or on which he resided, or within the confines of a business establishment owned or leased by him. [3]

Federal and Maryland State or local law enforcement officers generally are exempt from the permit requirement. However, sheriffs and their deputies are exempted only while on active assignment engaged in law enforcement and only with respect to handguns which they are duly authorized to wear, carry or transport as part of their official equipment. Law enforcement officers from other states are exempt only while on official business.

No violation is committed by any person who can demonstrate that the handgun is being carried, worn or transported:

1. Too or from a place of legal purchase or sale or repair shop.
2. Between such person's bona fide residences or between his residence and place of business if the business is operated and substantially owned by that person.
3. While engaged in or traveling to and from a "target shoot, formal or informal target practice, sport shooting event, hunting, trapping or dog obedience training class or show."
4. By a bona fide gun collector who is "moving any part or all of his gun collection from place to place for public or private exhibition," and while such handguns are actually on exhibition.

During transportation to and from the above places, the handguns must be unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or enclosed holster. [4]

An additional penalty is provided for any person convicted of unlawfully wearing, carrying or transporting a handgun, if his deliberate purpose was to injury or kill another person.

from http://www.mcsm.org/mdlaw.html

Oh btw if you get convicted of unlawful carrying of a firearm, you get a minimum of 30 days behind bars.

packingdressagerider

Some where in Rockbridge County, Virginia, USA
imported post

tsannicolas wrote:
packingdressagerider wrote:
tsannicolas wrote:

:question:
I take college courses on the Internet through a system called Blackboard. This saves me from going to antigun places like a college campus.

Armed

imported post

Is there a gun club or shooting range near Hagerstown that you could join? That might give you the means to "demonstrate" that you were transporting to / from a "formal or informal target practice".

Of course, you would still have store your piece unloaded, in a locked container.... so I'm not sure there's really much value in this effort. Just a thought.

tsannicolas

imported post

Armed wrote:
Is there a gun club or shooting range near Hagerstown that you could join? That might give you the means to "demonstrate" that you were transporting to / from a "formal or informal target practice".

Of course, you would still have store your piece unloaded, in a locked container.... so I'm not sure there's really much value in this effort. Just a thought.
yeah, it looks like i'm going to have to leave it at home :cuss:

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

tsannicolas wrote:
Armed wrote:

Were I you, that is what I would do. But I would also be looking for classes in Virginia that would satisfy the requirements you are trying to achieve in Maryland.

tsannicolas

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
tsannicolas wrote:
Armed wrote:

Were I you, that is what I would do. But I would also be looking for classes in Virginia that would satisfy the requirements you are trying to achieve in Maryland.
it's a personal development class that is held at a church and this is the closest that i could find. several others in the class drive an average of 2 hours just to get to it.

Hokie

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

nova wrote:

3. While engaged in or traveling to and from a "target shoot, formal or informal target practice, sport shooting event, hunting, trapping or dog obedience training class or show."
Dog obedience training class? I am no dog expert but I think the play dead trick should not use a real gun.

Armed

imported post

Hokie wrote:
Dog obedience training class? I am no dog expert but I think the play dead trick should not use a real gun.

:lol::lol:

It does make you wonder what the background on that was, to be included as an exception.

TFred

imported post

Armed wrote:
Hokie wrote:

It does make you wonder what the background on that was, to be included as an exception.
It's Maryland. There is no logic, rhyme or reason to be observed, or expected.

TFred

Goliath

imported post

Armed wrote:
Hokie wrote:

My guess would be for training dogs in water fowl hunting.

Goliath