• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Legal issues with private purchase

Jarod44588

imported post

Im new to the whole OC thing. Im 18 and i bought a gun from a friend of my moms. I was wondering is there going to be legal issues since he bought it brand new 1 week ago, and then sold it to me? He did not buy it with the purpose of selling it to me, he just didnt care for the gun ( a Taurus PT111 9MM) and so he asked if i wanted to buy it. What can i do to avoid any LEO trouble? Should i get a bill of sal or does it not matter? When officers look up the SN of the gun, Do they check to see when it was puchased from the dealer?

Jarod44588

imported post

Thank you for that information, i feel better about it now. But can the police actually check and see when the handgun was purchased from the dealer? I just dont want to have any questions about the possibillities of a straw purchase.

Jarod44588

imported post

Thats what i was thinking becasue i know in az no gun needs to be registered.
so on to the next question, this ones just for basic information though, but what if a guy buys a gun, and the next day, for some reason, wants to sell it, would the buyer of this handgun be subject to any legal issues? Dumb question, but it made me wonder about a waiting period before selling a brand new gun, or at least semi new.

Armed4Life

imported post

It boils down to the original buyer's intent at the time of purchase which is difficult to prove. The time between original purchase and re-sale by itself does not make a straw purchase case.

Jarod44588

imported post

How could any officer actually PROVE a straw purchase? sounds to me like its nearly impossible unless both parties announce to them that they intended to do it.
Man i love arizona :):D