• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"would you like a Glock with that haircut?"

Overtaxed

imported post

I got a haircut at a local barbershop about a week ago. The one patron ahead of me was a police officer - in the chair, but almost finished.
I noticed that the officer's gunbelt was draped over an open counter drawer. His semiauto pistol was holstered, but the muzzle was essentially pointed right at me, and by extension, at anyone walking by.

I wasn't worried that the gun would just discharge itself, but it did occur to me that this might be poor muzzle discipline.

Anyone agree/disagree or have other thoughts?

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

I don't see any problem except for maybe the distance between the officer and his sidearm. Was it close to him so nobody could snatch it?

I work on a brigade staff, and I am constantly surrounded by officers with M9's carried in shoulder holsters. I have heard a few people here that freak out, or are uncomfortable because they can see down the barrel of the Beretta.

I personally do not see a problem. Everyone here carries Israeli style. Even if somebody had a chambered round pointed at me in a shoulder holster,I would feel fine about it. What are the chances of a holstered sidearm "going off"?

Devils Advocate

imported post

The premise of muzzle discipline. Pla-eeze!

If that was the case... all us citizens wearing the rig below are just as guilty!!

We walk around all day pointing ourgun at peoplebehind us.

I actually have this shoulder holster. Never gone off yet while in the holster. Actually, none of my guns have ever spontaneously fired while in the holster!!

The laser rule only come into play when you draw and deploy your gun. Then you have to worry about that trigger finger shooting the gun before you are ready.

policestuff_2037_62319287

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

I agree. I agree that the machine per se is not inherently dangerous. The contrary is PC superstition making the gun a magical juju-stick. "Technology sufficiently advanced is not different from magic." Have we descended to aboriginal 'technology'?

The four precepts of gun safety are 'precepts' and not principles (that will not be compromised).

LOADED - All guns are loaded until they are not. MUZZLE - Cover with the muzzle only that which will be destroyed. TRIGGER - Keep your finger off the trigger. TARGET - Know the target and what is beyond.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I agree that so long as this LEO did not leave his sidearm available to be grabbed by someone, there is nothing inherently wrong with leaving it as described in the OP. Firearms generally don't just "go off" when lying around.

As for shoulder rigs, there is an issue but as Devils Advocate says, it is only during the draw, and only then if proper trigger discipline is not observed.

All that said, it can be unnerving to some when they notice the muzzle of firearm pointed at them. I have on occasion had that feeling, but usually it is related more to the person and not so much the firearm itself.

Pamiam

imported post

As a packing female who frequents salons, I must ask: Why did he disarm for a haircut?

Do the rest of you guys disarm for a haircut? :question:

Do guys get some sort of special haircut treatments that require disarming? What am I missing here?

Walleye

imported post

Pamiam wrote:
As a packing female who frequents salons, I must ask: Why did he disarm for a haircut?

Do guys get some sort of special haircut treatments that require disarming? What am I missing here?
My sidearm and associated equipment stays on my belt when I get a haircut, and I'm a fat guy too.

Of course, he may have been uncomfortable with his radio and cuffs burrowing into his back.

Sheepdawg

imported post

Pamiam wrote:

I got a haircut yesterday while wearing a sixgun in western rig. Didn't get in my way.:cool:

Side note: First time I OCed there she was fairly alarmed:what:by the sight of my gun. Yesterday (many months later) the conversation went like this,

"Oh, did you get a new gunbelt?"

"Naw, I just don't wear this one that often."

"Well, It looks great!":)

wrightme

imported post

Sheepdawg wrote:
Pamiam wrote:

I got a haircut yesterday while wearing a sixgun in western rig. Didn't get in my way.:cool:

Side note: First time I OCed there she was fairly alarmed:what:by the sight of my gun. Yesterday (many months later) the conversation went like this,

"Oh, did you get a new gunbelt?"

"Naw, I just don't wear this one that often."

"Well, It looks great!":)
Now THIS is how it should be. Excellent ambassador action.

I get my haircuts on a Navy base. :banghead:
I work on the same base. :banghead:

I can't even have a firearm in my car! :cuss:

Michigander

imported post

I personally think the 4 rules contain no exemptions. Some of you guys remember how my CZ fell on the hammer and shot me in the leg. That's as good of an example as any why you NEVER let the muzzle cover anything you aren't willing to destroy.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

My barber never says a word 'bout it - course he has been cutting my hair for over 20 years now.

When I stop by there on a Sat (not often) a soccer mom may do a double take. :shock: Would love to hear the conversation after I leave but haven't been made privy to such.

Yata hey

SIGguy229

imported post

Michigander wrote:
I personally think the 4 rules contain no exemptions. Some of you guys remember how my CZ fell on the hammer and shot me in the leg. That's as good of an example as any why you NEVER let the muzzle cover anything you aren't willing to destroy.
[For clarification, responding directly to Michigander's assertion of absolutes], not the OP]

Then how do you walk into buildings with more than one floor? What is you are on the second floor and "sweep" people on the first floor? [/sarc]

Was your CZ in a holster when it discharged? (I don't remember the incident) If not, you lost control of the firearm. [not asking for a repeat of the incident, nor do I care]

While I don't agree with the LEO's practice of not maintaining positive control of his firearm, the firearm is in a holster with nothing touching the trigger.

When deployed (as I am now) I carry my M9 in a SERPA holster mounted on my chest on my IBA...but it points down diagonally. Is that unsafe? IMO, no.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

SIGguy229 wrote:
Michigander wrote:
Then how do you walk into buildings with more than one floor? What is you are on the second floor and "sweep" people on the first floor?

Was your CZ in a holster when it discharged? (I don't remember the incident) If not, you lost control of the firearm.

While I don't agree with the LEO's practice of not maintaining positive control of his firearm, the firearm is in a holster with nothing touching the trigger.

When deployed (as I am now) I carry my M9 in a SERPA holster mounted on my chest on my IBA...but it points down diagonally. Is that unsafe? IMO, no.
This a little off thread but....

The floor of most multi-story building will quite severely slow if not stop most defensive rounds.

The OP stated he wasn't worried about a discharge.

There are accepted combat/hot zone tactics that are not always best when at home. I suspect you cannot carry stateside when entering the front gate - so there is a significant difference.

No point in asking for a repeat report of an ND that I'm sure made a great impression. That's why OCDO has a search function. Try it - you might like it.

Yata hey

Pamiam

imported post

Walleye wrote:
Pamiam wrote:

My sidearm and associated equipment stays on my belt when I get a haircut, and I'm a fat guy too.

Of course, he may have been uncomfortable with his radio and cuffs burrowing into his back.
Good for you, and his bad. If he was "uncomfortable" over his radio and cuffs, maybe he should have scheduled a haircut off-duty. "Wah" comes to mind.

I don't disarm for a haircut, so I certainly expect a LEO to suck it up.

Next time anyone sees something like this, tell the guy that Pam said he's a wuss.

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

Pamiam wrote:
Walleye wrote:
Pamiam wrote:

Good for you, and his bad. If he was "uncomfortable" over his radio and cuffs, maybe he should have scheduled a haircut off-duty. "Wah" comes to mind.

Next time anyone sees something like this, tell the guy that Pam said he's a wuss.

I thinks an assumption has been made here....

How do we know the officer was on-duty while getting his hair cut? The haircutting while separated from his duty belt and firearm could very easily have occurred prior to his going on duty or after being relieved of duty.

I have more of an issue with the distance of separation between the officer and the weapon. He could have very easily had same in his lap whilst getting his golden locks shortened!

Damn, now you have me making assumptions!:banghead:

Pamiam

imported post

JoeSparky wrote:
Pamiam wrote:
Walleye wrote:
Pamiam wrote:

How do we know the officer was on-duty while getting his hair cut?
That his duty-belt was draped over a counter was the first clue. That the other patron knew he was a cop was the 2nd. You don't drape your duty-belt on the counter. Ever. Work it out or suck it up.

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

Pamiam wrote:
JoeSparky wrote:
Pamiam wrote:
Walleye wrote:
Pamiam wrote:

How do we know the officer was on-duty while getting his hair cut?
That his duty-belt was draped over a counter was the first clue. That the other patron knew he was a cop was the 2nd. ;)

Not be be arguementative but....

I know SEVERAL LEO's and ALL leave their respective homes dressed in uniform with dutybelt and all associated equipment when going to work. Depending on the time of day, any one of them COULD stop for a haircut on the way in before going on duty or at the end of the duty shift on the way home.

It is NOT uncommon in my area for the officers to have a car issued to them so that in a emergency they can respond more quickly. Some locals will even require them to use the patrol car when they are off duty so that if a crisis happens they can be immediately available.

And I do agree with you about the duty belt... It should have either been locked in the car (I hate that) or either in place about his waist or somehow in his IMMEDIATE control.