• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Washington Open Carry picnic / day

Do you open carry in Washington State? (select all that apply)

• Yes, and there have been no problems.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Want to but don't want to rock the boat.

• Yes, and police have contacted or stopped me.

• Have Concealed Pistol License

• Do not have Concealed Pistol License

• I am interested in a picnic / education day.

• I am not interested in a picnic / education day.

• Total voters

hawaidvr9

imported post

I am a Spokane resident and have been a non member of Opencarry.org forever. However, I have changed this as of today. I have my CPL and my routine for carrying is wonderfully embedded into my daily activities. I am saddened though at times.

Recently I purchased a new handgun with a brand new tan leather thumb break holster. I want to openly carry my firearm. To be honest though, I am a little afraid of the consequences.

The fear is and was placed there by law enforcement officers. I have recently spent countless hours researching Washington State Supreme Court cases that involve open carry. Many of the cases had "other" issues, for example, the person was making threats or committing a crime while carrying. So those cases really do not help in researching legal open carry here in Wa. State. I was unable to find any cases where a law abiding citizen that was openly carrying was arrested and convicted and then heard at the highest court. If anyone knows of such a case please let me know.

I am only slightly associated with law enforcement, but have several friends that are orwerein the field. I spoke to a friend yesterday, rather emailed a friend and stated "did you know it is not illegal to open carry in Wa. State"? This particular friend has 8 years past law enforcement. The response was, "yeah". Followed by another quick email, "I wouldn't though". When I asked why not, and attempted to follow up in a more detailed conversation I was simply shut down by my friend with no replies.

The question I asked (that got no reply) was "Why not"? I have some educated guesses as to why my friend said that. But I am currently at a deadendin my decision to open carry.

I have spoke to my wife and the idea of me openly carrying does not bother her a bit, she is always happier when I carry. I carry all the time. I get home from work, go to my safe, take out my holstered handgun, change into jeans and slide the holster and gun on to my belt. I keep my firearm with me until the next day, where I return my firearm to the safe until I return home. I have two daughters that have grown up with this routine, and go shooting with me all the time. They are both teenagers and have expressed an interest in having a husband that also carry's (many many many many years away still, I hope).

So, "Why not?"

Is there any interest in a group of folks that also want to carry to assist in planning a day at a park? Hot dogs, hamburgers and safe open carry all around. I am sure a day like that would get media attention, which would be good for the general public to know. It would also educate law enforcement. There would be getting the permits from the city to have a larger gathering at a park, so that would notify the city, because they are invited too.

Its just a thought at this point in time, but a very worthy day at the park it would be!

By the way, my name is James and I am a gun owner that carries.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Howzit brah,

You from hawaii? I lived there several yrs. there and my wife is from there. I have just started recently open carrying and have had no problems. Istill don't open carry everywhere but am working my up. I would start by open carry into store that have been posted here as freindly to it. It helps build confidence thats what I have done and now have expanded it to more areas. I pretty much open carry in all public places and have had no negative comments or confrontations, just a few double takes and glances one or two scowls, but over all its been positive.

I also want to do something similar a picnic or something hear I think it's a great idea but I think I'll have to wait until the weather is better. I am on the other side of the hills from you and probably not able to go to yours but would if I was closer.

heresolong

imported post

hawaidvr9 wrote:
I am only slightly associated with law enforcement, but have several friends that are orwerein the field. I spoke to a friend yesterday, rather emailed a friend and stated "did you know it is not illegal to open carry in Wa. State"? This particular friend has 8 years past law enforcement. The response was, "yeah". Followed by another quick email, "I wouldn't though". When I asked why not, and attempted to follow up in a more detailed conversation I was simply shut down by my friend with no replies.
I would press the matter with my friend. If something is legal, why would the police tell you not to do it and then be mysterious about the reasons. That suggests to me that they have a habit of reacting negatively which is their problem, not yours.

I would start by downloading the flyer from NWCDL here and I would read the postings on this board, including the stickies at the top. State vs Casad clearly ruled that the legislature did not intend to outlaw the open carrying of a firearm or they would have been unequivocal in their language by stating that "no person shall openly carry a firearm". Instead they put restrictions on that statement regarding warrants alarm. Not just causes alarm but warrants alarm. Clearly they did not intend that the mere open carry of a firearm should warrant alarm, but rather that it must be carried in some manner that is more than just in a holster on your hip. Not my opinion but the courts. So you are aware, there is no "brandishing" law in Washington, so if a cop tells you that you can be arrested for brandishing just by having a pistol in a holster he is not only wrong but talking out his a&&.

hawaidvr9

imported post

Your method of open carry is how I was considering. This will probably be how I will start as well. I will of course keep everyone posted on the first time and how it went and all that.

As to Hawaii, I soooooo miss the Aloha State. I lived there for 5 years, went to college and raised my daughter alone on the island of Oahu. We loved going to the beach, and I loved to scuba dive. I am a native Washington resident though and after the kids are gone, 4 years left, I will take my wife and live there for awhile.

What has amazed me with carrying concealed or openly are the people. They are all, everyone of them LAW ABIDING CITIZENS. No felonies, no domestic violence, no DuI's, no criminal history, and everyone that I have met, SAFETY is the #1 rule. Yet politicians see them as a menace to society. A threat to the safety of others. A group of people that must be stopped. Why?

Because I choose to arm myself with a firearm and carry it to the local store? If the politicians would actually take a moment to consider whom they are dealing with, I believe they would discover that their hatred is misplaced. We carry "firearms" for protection purposes only. Bad guys carry "weapons" for committing crime. There is a difference in how the two different people should be treated.

My name is James and I am a gun owner that carries.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Welcome aboard. I can't add much to what has been said. Get a good fitting, comfortable holster, go to the places you are most comfortable with for the time being. I visit Spokane several times a year and have yet to have any problems.

Come this spring I'll be working with some folks out of Idaho & Oregon to get a tri-state OC event together. Keep looking for the thread. In western Washington this past summer we've had a few outdoor events. July - Kitsap County - Long Lake Park (Kitsap County Sheriffs Department invited and attended), Aug - Puyallup City Park & Mason County, Towanda State Park. A very good turnout at each one.

I believe the ideal OC meet would be a place would allow for camping & shooting. I really got to start looking for land again....

fetch

imported post

Welcome hawaidvr9,
We in Spokane have made some progress. A couple of us have met with the Spokane city att. and police training coordinator just last week. They are aware of what is going on.

As for a picnic, when the weather gets a little bit warmer, we do indeed plan on having a couple here in Spokane. All we need to do is reserve a spot in the park.

We have had OC lunches/meetings, avg. about 8 of us, downtown with out any problem. Please feel free to get in touch with me if you want more info. about what is going on in Spokane.

hawaidvr9

imported post

Lunch would be very enjoyable with others here locally that also carry. What did the attorney and trainer say? how did they react? what places, if any, have asked you to leave? So many questions, maybe I should just have lunch with you all.

I will be posting regularly on the weekends, as these are the two days that I am at work with no other people around. Yesterday the day just flew by as I read everyones postings and did more research.

My name is James and I am a gun owner that carries.

shad0wfax

imported post

hawaidvr9 wrote:
I am a Spokane resident and have been a non member of Opencarry.org forever. However, I have changed this as of today. I have my CPL [...] [SNIP]
I want to openly carry my firearm. To be honest though, I am a little afraid of the consequences.

The fear is and was placed there by law enforcement officers. [SNIP] I was unable to find any cases where a law abiding citizen that was openly carrying was arrested and convicted and then heard at the highest court. If anyone knows of such a case please let me know.

The question I asked (that got no reply) was "Why not"? I have some educated guesses as to why my friend said that. But I am currently at a deadendin my decision to open carry.

[SNIP]
So, "Why not?"

Is there any interest in a group of folks that also want to carry to assist in planning a day at a park? [SNIP]
Its just a thought at this point in time, but a very worthy day at the park it would be!

By the way, my name is James and I am a gun owner that carries.

OK, you're up against two seperate obstacles: The first is overcoming your inhibitions about OC. The second is the idea of a picnic in the park.

I am a Spokane resident who is temporarily living in Pullman. I OC in Spokane and Pullman regularly and have been doing so for several months now. I have had some neutral to pleasant encounters with LEO's while OC'ing in both towns, but I have never been detained or arrested for OC. I carry around a few of the WA gun rights pamphlet that surf (from these boards) made up.

I've noticed that OC is much like CC, it makes you a more polite, more responsible person. I always find that not only am I more polite towards others when I am OC'ing but that others are usually more polite towards me as well. Sure, every once in a while some busybody will make a snide remark to one of their companions whenthey think I can't hear, but such remarks are very rare and I don't pay them much attention.

As for, "Why not?" Why not indeed? I see no compelling argument not to OC, unless you are worried that a thief will attempt to follow you home, note your address, and then break in and steal your firearms while you're at work. (This is a very slight possibility, but good situational awareness will prevent it from working.) I suppose the "gun-grab" argument would be another argument against OC, but good situational awareness and any type of retention holster will also help minimize that risk.

The more you OC, the more comfortable you'll become with OC and eventually it will feel just like CC does, natural.

Now on to the Spokane City Parks, which I want to ask fetchabout. He says that just last week he met with some city officials to discuss the issue. I'd love to hear the results of this chat.

The latest information I have (which is 4 months old) says:

"NOTE: Citizens have recently contacted the City to argue that they can carry guns in city parks, because Washington Law does not automatically ban guns carried under 'circumstances that warrant concern for the safety of others.' Regardless of the carrier's lack of intent to intimidate others, the carrier can be ordered to immediately remove the gun from the park and/or face criminal charges, if the circumstances warrant. R.C.W.9.41.270and SMC 10.11.048A."

So am I hearing that this has been resolved and SPD is no longer doing this as their SOP?

armyhellion13

imported post

I OC in Seattle all the time without a CPL, I have been doing it for about five months now and have not once been asked to leave any place of business or stopped or questioned by the police. I have maybe had 2 or 3 strange looks from people all together. When stationed in AZ I used to OC all the time, throughout the state and never once was stopped by an LEO. I even visited banks while openly carrying. Perhaps this is why I am so comfortable with OC up here. I do carry a list of of WA Gun laws on me as well...2 versions now actually. One is from the NRA and the other from NWCDL.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Another thing that I have done is I have learned to use the search box at top often times you can find threads that help with the info you are looking for.

What part of Oahu? I miss it there too, I need to surf...lol....I am a certified diver too but haven't dove in a long time.