• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

hawaidvr9

imported post

I just added my avatar, I will make a new one later with the holster included after work.

I am typically a Sig Sauer man. However, I do love Smith and Wesson. I wanted to buy a 9mm and had been doing a lot of shopping. I came across the

Smith and Wesson M&P compact 9mm. I love this handgun.

Cool features are:

If you are in a situation and wrestling over this handgun with a bad guy, all you have to do is drop the magazine. Even with a round in the chamber this gun will not fire unless the magazine is locked into place. This would allow a person to simply hit the button, give up the fight and before the bad guy realizes what has happened you have safely retrieved your back up.

You can reverse the magazine drop button. So for a lefty this would be an ideal firearm.

Its light weight, and compact. I carry in a high ride slightly tilted holster and barely know its there. Yet, it is a very accurate firearm. I was so very happy with the accuracy.

can add accessories, like a flashlight. does have a laser that fits this handgun.

As I said, I more then love Sig Sauer (P229 in a .40 especially) but this handgun meets all the needs.

My name is James and I am a gun owner that carries.

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

Careful, not all M&Ps have the magazine disconnect.

I regularly carry an M&P9c as well and opted for the model that does NOT have the magazine disconnect.

It is a personal preference issue, good arguments for and against.

FMCDH

imported post

hawaidvr9 wrote:
My name is James and I am a gun owner that carries.
Welcome James!

I too carry an M&P but in the .45 persuasion. ;)
Its my primary carry, and one of my favorite guns.
S&W did a great job with its M&P gun line in my opinion, and nothing short of pure genius for a fighting pistol.

Like Boss, I prefer mine without the Mag disconnect. Mainly due to mechanical reliance issues because its one less piece that can possibly go wrong in a weapon that MUST fire when I need it to. IMHO

I like the M&P line so much, next up is the M&P15 :D

just_a_car

imported post

My problem with the magazine disconnects is that if you have to perform a Tactical Reload, you're making yourself incapable of firing while making that mag change. This is BAD, since you may need that one shot to stop a threat that shows up.

FMCDH

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
My problem with the magazine disconnects is that if you have to perform a Tactical Reload, you're making yourself incapable of firing while making that mag change. This is BAD, since you may need that one shot to stop a threat that shows up.
My #2 reason :)

sudden valley gunner

imported post

I bought the compact 9 m&p for my wife to use and almost wish I would have kept it...its a great gun and very accurate for being that small. 12 round mags right out of the box....easy to clean .

I didn't know you could switch the button though....she's a lefty I'll have to look into that.

jbone

imported post

Nice choice, also my main carry piece.

Trigger Dr

imported post

just_a_car wrote:

If you really know your gun, you CAN fire it without the magazine in place without any modifications.

I will not explain it on the forum, but will gladly demonstrate it f2f

FMCDH

imported post

al_raff wrote:
Oh come on splain pleese
I'm not exactly sure why hes being so coy about it, but its just a matter of pushing the magazine safety rod up with your finger. Can also be done with tape (depending on the spacing in the mag well) to keep the rod in place. Not sure I would fire a gun with my finger in the mag well for any reason other than an emergency, but....

Nothing illegal about it, so there ya go.

Edited for phraseology :)

Trigger Dr

imported post

OK, I will explain...before you drop the mag, take up the slack in the trigger. hold that trigger position while you make the change. The gun will fire with the mag out, just be damn careful while doing this.

FMCDH

imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:
OK, I will explain...before you drop the mag, take up the slack in the trigger. hold that trigger position while you make the change. The gun will fire with the mag out, just be damn careful while doing this.
That's a new one to me. :)

Seems it would take quite a bit more forethought and training to get it down I would imagine. I also understand this doesn't work with all semi-autos as it depends on how the mag safety is connected to the firing pin. Might be something interesting to test out on my guns at the range.

Good tip.

Trigger Dr

imported post

The magazine disconect raises a tab that connects the trigger to the sear when the mag is inserted into the gun. By taking the slack out of the trigger, you are causing the tab to remain in place when the mag is removed. I have tested this on every handgun, so equipped, that we carry, and it works on all of them.

Yes, it will take a bit of training to get to the point of being able to drop the mag without letting up on the trigger, and still not causing the gun to fire. BE CAREFUL and practice this with a completely UNLOADED, verified gun. This was taught to me when I was attending the Treasury Dept Academy (FLETC) at Glynco Ga.